Mubarak resigns

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
Forum God/Goddess

Mubarak resigns

Postby Beaver » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:36 am

The good news is Mubarak resigned. The bad news is the military is now in charge. ... a/ml_egypt
Mubarak resigns, hands power to military

CAIRO – Egypt's Hosni Mubarak resigned as president and handed control to the military on Friday after 29 years in power, bowing to a historic 18-day wave of pro-democracy demonstrations by hundreds of thousands. "The people ousted the president," chanted a crowd of tens of thousands outside his presidential palace in Cairo.

Forum God/Goddess

Re: Mubarak resigns

Postby gargantua » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:48 am

Beaver wrote:The good news is Mubarak resigned. The bad news is the military is now in charge.

As a practical matter, I'm not sure if the military being in charge is bad news or not. If it leads to an orderly transition of power over the next few months, that's a good outcome.

There are worse elements who could have ended up in charge. A stable democracy in Egypt isn't going to just happen overnight, however fervently we would wish it so.

Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:53 am

The military shouldn't be a bad thing short term. Considering there's mandatory enlistment, the military are very much on the side of the public. When they first rolled in the protesters were cheering them on.

-Dan Motor

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:23 pm

Yeah, this is a case where military rule is fine and should be truly transitionary.

Hmm ... auto-correct is telling me that "transitionary" isn't a word but I'm sure I've heard it many times.

magic moose
Forum God/Goddess

Postby magic moose » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:25 pm

My impression is that the military is the most trusted public institution. If so, I'm on the "+" wagon. Giving it to them is not so bad short term.

How long before we debate whether team Clinton/Obama played this well or poorly - or just lucky? Maybe this is not an appropriate comparison, but there have been two corrupt regimes ousted in Muslim countries in quick succession - to boot, I haven't heard much "death to America" in the crowds.

Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:05 pm

As the corporate facilitators in this country move the bar even further rightward, do you think the downtrodden will take a cue from the Egyptians and join them in the struggle?

Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:20 pm

Obama and his team have to think out their perspective on what will surely be a series of related national crises in countries like Egypt.

I can see why they waited at the beginning of this one -- who could tell whether the crowds in Tahrir square would have staying power, or would dissipate around day three?

Now we know they were organized by young Egyptians with not only street wisdom but sheer genius -- they are the next wave building the genius of Gandhi in a new century and will be remembered as such. But how were we to know?

By having better connections with popular sentiment around the world, that's how. Right now, our intelligence network seems to be totally old-think. If we can't transition to something more current, our influence will continue to be old-think too.

Obama is current enough to realize this (he does have a background as an urban organizer, remember) but the institutions around him may be hard to reform.

In the long run, I believe the only way to long-term stability in this part (or any part) of the world is through mutually beneficial trade so people have something to lose. In Egypt, they had nothing to lose.

It's interesting the people are talking about what they want -- for Egypt and for their own lives. They aren't talking at all about who they hate, except for wanting an end to the old regime. I think that's a characteristic of true populist movements.

Return to “Headlines”