Klimate Kooks Korrekt

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Klimate Kooks Korrekt

Postby pjbogart » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:36 pm

Whoa! Working overtime, Nedly. It's 11 minutes past your quit time! You actually believe your requisite tripe when you're not being paid?

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:14 am

Ned Flanders wrote:
rabble wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:Does this news surprise anyone?

So, where do we follow the money now? :D

Why would a climate scientist spout all this silly global warming stuff? Because they want to get suspenders?

Government grants, research funding etc.

Government grants? Don't you mean Government investigation?

What good is research funding if you can't research? Who's going to fund a guy who just got suspended?

At first seems like a great thing for the head in the sand crowd but as been said elsewhere, investigations have consequences.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:32 am

Ned Flanders wrote:
rabble wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:Does this news surprise anyone?

So, where do we follow the money now? :D

Why would a climate scientist spout all this silly global warming stuff? Because they want to get suspenders?

Government grants, research funding etc.

You might find this hard to believe, but some people have jobs that involves learning actual facts, and not just making stuff up all day. Its kind of rewarding. You know, for its own sake.

Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:53 am

I'm beginning to doubt those heliocentricist astronomers, too, since they get government funding for spreading their lies that the earth is not at the center of the solar system (and the center of the universe too).

Quantum mechanics and relativity are also highly suspect, since all those physicists get government funding and research grants. Do you people realize that physicists claim that a particle can TUNNEL right through a wall? Heck, they even make up nonsensical theories about particles traveling backwards in time. They're obviously just trying to get that government research grant money, using any fantastical tricks they can come up with.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:49 am

This is pretty bizarre:

http://thinkprogress.org/romm/2011/07/3 ... l-warming/

Joe Romm, quoting from NRDC’s Senior Scientist, Sylvia Fallon:
Much of the rest of the interrogation centered around whether Dr. Monnett and his colleagues had observed 3 or 4 dead bears. Seriously. This took about an entire hour of a two hour interrogation.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:25 am

Thanks for the link, DCB.

We are limited in what we can say about a pending investigation, but I can assure you that the decision had nothing to do with his scientific work, or anything relating to a five-year old journal article, as advocacy groups and the news media have incorrectly speculated.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:34 pm

Stupid animals believe what Al Gore says.

Critters moving away from global warming faster

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:45 am

2011: Year of billion-dollar disasters

The United States has already seen nine weather disasters this year that have caused $1 billion or more in damage, tying the record set in 2008. The total for all the disasters is about $35 billion.

"The year 2011 has already established itself in the record books as a historic year for weather-related disasters, and it is not over -- in fact, hurricane season is just getting under way," NOAA Deputy Administrator Kathryn D. Sullivan told the Senate Appropriations Committee in late July.

I'm not even going to link to the steam of stories about the historic drought in Texas.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:55 am

ilikebeans wrote:2011: Year of billion-dollar disasters

The United States has already seen nine weather disasters this year that have caused $1 billion or more in damage, tying the record set in 2008. The total for all the disasters is about $35 billion.

"The year 2011 has already established itself in the record books as a historic year for weather-related disasters, and it is not over -- in fact, hurricane season is just getting under way," NOAA Deputy Administrator Kathryn D. Sullivan told the Senate Appropriations Committee in late July.

I'm not even going to link to the steam of stories about the historic drought in Texas.

We all agree the earth is warming, but why?
We all agree there has a record number of disasters, but why?
Is it the result of direct climate forcing by a physical process that has been well understood for over 100 years? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svante_Arr ... use_effect

OR is God punishing us for violating an obscure paragraph in the Old Testement?

The "controversy" continues.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:03 pm

Oh boy. Not good...

CERN: 'Climate models will need to be substantially revised'
New atomsmasher research into cloud formation

The first results from the lab's CLOUD ("Cosmics Leaving OUtdoor Droplets") experiment published in Nature today confirm that cosmic rays spur the formation of clouds through ion-induced nucleation. Current thinking posits that half of the Earth's clouds are formed through nucleation. The paper is entitled Role of sulphuric acid, ammonia and galactic cosmic rays in atmospheric aerosol nucleation.

This has significant implications for climate science because water vapour and clouds play a large role in determining global temperatures. Tiny changes in overall cloud cover can result in relatively large temperature changes.

Unsurprisingly, it's a politically sensitive topic, as it provides support for a "heliocentric" rather than "anthropogenic" approach to climate change: the sun plays a large role in modulating the quantity of cosmic rays reaching the upper atmosphere of the Earth
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/08/25 ... t_results/

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:30 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Oh boy. Not good...

I agree. This is very bad for your position.
'Cuz whether the sun is warming us up, we're doing it ourselves, or some as yet undiscovered mechanism (or combination of mechanisms) is responsible, it's still true that the earth is warming, something you've been denying as long as I've been aware of your existence. I assume your posting of the above story means you've finally come around to the consensus view then, eh?

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:34 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:

I agree. This is very bad for your position.
'Cuz whether the sun is warming us up, we're doing it ourselves, or some as yet undiscovered mechanism (or combination of mechanisms) is responsible, it's still true that the earth is warming, something you've been denying as long as I've been aware of your existence. I assume your posting of the above story means you've finally come around to the consensus view then, eh?

Nice try. We're talking about man-made global warming, which, of course, is a scam. Another nail...

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:08 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Nice try. We're talking about man-made global warming, which, of course, is a scam. Another nail...

No, that's just how you want to frame it today.*
You've been denying that the Earth is warming up as long as I've been aware of your existence. (If you can repeat yourself, so can I.)

Apart from natural intellectual curiosity, I don't much care what the cause is. I'm much more interested in what the fact of a warmer Earth means as we continue moving into the future.

I will happily discuss with you the evidence for and against a human contribution to global warming (and there is plenty of both), but first, you have to acknowledge that warming is happening to begin with. As long as you continue to dance around that, you'll always just be an anti-science crank.

*BTW, it really is adorable how you mock and distrust science except when you think it says what you already believe.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:11 pm

I'm much more interested in what the fact of a warmer Earth means as we continue moving into the future.

Well according to Ned Flanders:
Also, I can attest that the Atlantic is very warm this summer which, no doubt, is fueling this storm.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:14 pm

CERN: 'Climate models will need to be substantially revised'
New atomsmasher research into cloud formation

I don't why you think new scientific results are 'not good'. The folks over at RealClimate think this is a 'surprisingly interesting' paper.

They also note that:
It is eminently predictable that the published results will be wildly misconstrued by the contrarian blogosphere as actually proving this link. However, that would be quite wrong.

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/ar ... #more-8614

In the comments they quote from the CERN briefing:
“However,
 it 
is 
premature 
to 
conclude 
that 
cosmic
 rays 
have 
a 
significant 
influence
 on 
climate 
until
 the
 additional
 nucleating
 vapours
 have
 been
 identified,
 their
 ion
 enhancement
 measured,
 and
 the
 ultimate
 effects
 on
 clouds
 have
 been
 confirmed.”

That aside, CO2 is still a greenhouse gas.
And there's a lot more of it in the atmosphere than there used to be:
http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/ccgg/trends/

So, in addition to any natural variations due to cosmic rays, or 'sunspots', or whatever, there is still forcing due to anthropogenic sources of CO2. And that forcing is increasing every year.

Return to “Headlines”