Klimate Kooks Korrekt

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Klimate Kooks Korrekt

Postby O.J. » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:40 pm

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:54 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:Ned, please explain why the U.S. Navy is worried about global warming. Your spin on this should be interesting.

Can't wait to see that submarine base in Omaha!

That wasn't even remotely interesting. But let me fix that for you.
Ned the Denier wrote:As usual, I've got nothing.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:56 pm

Eppure scalda

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:06 pm

oonga-lagoonga..oonga-googa-lagrunga

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:26 pm

"One of the most damaging claims in 2009 was that Prof Phil Jones, the head of the UEA's Climatic Research Institute had deleted emails to avoid FOI request. One of the reviews into the content of the emails, conducted by Sir Muir Russell, concluded that "emails might have been deleted in order to make them unavailable should a subsequent request be made for them" - something that Jones has denied. At the time CRU was coming under sustained pressure by an organised campaign to release information, which the scientists saw as distracting from their work.

The new emails include similar statements apparently made by the scientists about avoiding requests for information. In one email, which has not yet been specifically confirmed as genuine, Jones writes: "I've been told that IPCC [Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change] is above national FOI Acts. One way to cover yourself and all those working in AR5 [the IPCC's fifth Assessment Report] would be to delete all emails at the end of the process".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2 ... intcmp=122

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:31 pm

So we're going to go with the "possibly deleted emails that may or may not have existed in the first place" gambit.

VERY well played sir.

They'll have a hard time dealing with the notion that someone talked about the possibility of destroyed electronic items that might have been evidence, that someone else thinks might have existed. Somewhere.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:15 pm

rabble wrote:So we're going to go with the "possibly deleted emails that may or may not have existed in the first place" gambit.

VERY well played sir.

They'll have a hard time dealing with the notion that someone talked about the possibility of destroyed electronic items that might have been evidence, that someone else thinks might have existed. Somewhere.

If the mainstream scientists are all conspiring to pull off this hoax, why don't these deniers just do their own research to debunk it?

Hmm, lets go back to last month

I guess they'll just to make up some more bullshit.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:14 pm

Irreversible global warming looks like it will be much sooner than previously thought...

http://www.independent.co.uk/environmen ... 76134.html
Dramatic and unprecedented plumes of methane – a greenhouse gas 20 times more potent than carbon dioxide – have been seen bubbling to the surface of the Arctic Ocean by scientists undertaking an extensive survey of the region.

"Earlier we found torch-like structures like this but they were only tens of metres in diameter. This is the first time that we've found continuous, powerful and impressive seeping structures, more than 1,000 metres in diameter. It's amazing," Dr Semiletov said. "I was most impressed by the sheer scale and high density of the plumes. Over a relatively small area we found more than 100, but over a wider area there should be thousands of them."

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:47 pm

I've heard this argument before, though not the methane in the ocean but the trapped CO2 in the permafrost. Essentially, it's too late. The argument over whether humans are to blame is moot because even if we changed our behavior and stopped emitting CO2 altogether (impossible) the Earth would continue warming. It's not even a good "I told you so" moment because it's likely that the point of no return was passed before "global warming" ever entered our political dialogue.

That's not to say that green technologies are a bad idea though. Spending hundreds of billions of dollars on oil when we could be producing that energy right here at home seems like a win-win to me. Unless, of course, I worked for an oil company.

I'm not sure what Flanders' angle is, besides the ostrich one. I have to assume he cares about the world his son lives in, but I could be wrong.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:14 pm

We probably have time to fortify the borders before enough nations become unlivable and begin to send refugees and armies. That would be a good national construction project.

The 99ers are co-opted to form the reeks and wrecks, the one percent supplies the materials, the Border Security Project bolsters the economy and then the country, and we all settle into a nice little feudal system.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:27 am

Another chicken little warning. This stuff started in earnest in 1988 with an especially hot summer, but I'm sure it's been going on long before that.

Reminds me of the preachers who predict the earth will end on X day. When that day passes without event, they either slink away or develop another nutball prediction.

That's why the warmists are like religious zealots, just a different god.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:29 am

Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:45 am

? for Ned:
Is there ANY evidence that would convince you that your position is wrong? If yes, what form would that evidence take?

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:57 am

Bland wrote:? for Ned:
Is there ANY evidence that would convince you that your position is wrong? If yes, what form would that evidence take?

But since it won't be this drastic (short of a meteor strike), no, there is nothing that will change his mind.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:24 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Another chicken little warning. This stuff started in earnest in 1988 with an especially hot summer, but I'm sure it's been going on long before that.

Reminds me of the preachers who predict the earth will end on X day. When that day passes without event, they either slink away or develop another nutball prediction.

That's why the warmists are like religious zealots, just a different god.

Well, you got one thing correct. CO2's influence on the climate, and the human contribution thereof, has been understood for over 150 years.

But there are a few differences between climate scientists and religious crackpots, differences that might be too subtle for the average FOX viewer to discern. Unlike religious doomsday predictions, climate scientists are not predicting the complete destruction of life in one day. Also, the changes predicted as a result of global warming not the whims of a supernatural being, but are result of human decisions. Finally, the predictions of climate scientists are based in reality.

Return to “Headlines”