Smoking Banned in Parks, at Beaches

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Smoking Banned in Parks, at Beaches

Postby supaunknown » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:24 pm

The fear of secondhand smoke thing has always seemed a bit disingenuous. People cite health concerns as the crux of their opposition to public smoking, but I suspect their real motive is to simply get rid of the foul smell.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:36 pm

PopeyeTheSailorman wrote:Do you think smoking should be permitted in theatrical productions and on movie sets notwithstanding what political party is in power?

I guess I don't see it as an issue of vital importance, which probably means no, I don't think it's worth specifically outlawing. But that also means I don't expect the legislature--no matter who leads it--to take time out of its day to change existing law on the subject.

By the way, Blaska is a big classical music fan...just sayin'

And completely lacking in any sort of authority, including musical. I wouldn't ask him to pick music to shit by.

Carol
Forum Addict

Postby Carol » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:53 pm

Stu Levitan wrote:Carol, as a Jew who lost family in the Holocaust, I find your comparing anti-smoking activists to Nazis to be deeply offensive.

I find it deeply offensive that you endorse Nazi pseudo-science, in order to persecute people like me. The Nazis could hide behind the excuse of ignorance about the role in infection, but anti-smokers cannot. Perhaps you think that Nazism is fine as long as you get to be one.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:59 pm

Carol wrote:
Stu Levitan wrote:Carol, as a Jew who lost family in the Holocaust, I find your comparing anti-smoking activists to Nazis to be deeply offensive.

Perhaps you think that Nazism is fine as long as you get to be one.

This is beginning to seem surreal.

Carol
Forum Addict

Postby Carol » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:05 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
PopeyeTheSailorman wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:... Or don't you believe there is a substantial danger to second hand smoke?

I think there is probably a danger. I don't know if it is a substantial danger.

The Centers for Disease Control certainly thinks so.

Just because the smoking law compromised and allows a few exceptions is no reason to allow all taverns (whether or not they serve food) to permit smoking.

That's another example of unquestioning faith in authority, demand for religious faith, and refusal to examine the lack of scientific merits of the CDC's rubbish. They're guilty of flagrant scientific fraud for ignoring more than 50 studies which show that human papillomaviruses cause at least a quarter of non-small cell lung cancers (and you don't need all 50 of them plastered on the page when you can follow the link).

http://www.smokershistory.com/hpvlungc.htm

Even the latest Surgeon General report claim about supposed mechanisms of smoking-related cancer is known to be caused by infections, as well as the claims about heart disease.

http://www.smokershistory.com/SGlies.html
http://www.smokershistory.com/SGHDlies.html

And they're guilty of fraud for ignoring these facts. And, all their so-called "independent" reports were ring-led by the same guy, Jonathan M. Samet, including the Surgeon General Reports, the EPA report, the IARC report, and the ASHRAE report, and he's now the chairman of the FDA Committee on Tobacco. He and his politically privileged clique exclude all the REAL scientists from their echo chamber. That's how they make their reports "unanimous!"

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:50 am

This is all you need to know (thanks to Woofer):

The reaction by Carol AS Thompson may, however, also be seen from a different perspective. Carol AS Thompson is not a physician and therefore not used to behave properly in the framework of a highly ranked medical journal. Nevertheless, she was brave enough to post her opinion in an unaccustomed environment. In addition, Carol AS Thompson is supposed to be cigarette smoking dependent and therefore her view of the real problem may be blurred.
I do want to address the tone of these letters briefly. Apart from the topic, they read almost like Nazi propaganda: a combination of aggression, intolerance, stupidity and fanatism.

It's time to stop giving this attention-whoring, scientist-wannabe bitch what she craves-- more attention.

And I'm not using those derogatory terms flippantly.

scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:00 am

Popeye, let me make this simple for you. In fact I hope it will be simple enough for Carol, Flanders, and Blask to grasp. I don't like secondhand smoke. I don't like it in restaurants or bars or any other public place. I don't like it whether or not you personally smoke. It's invasive. Care to let me blow my favored choice of smoking material in your face? Your kids? I would hope not. For the record I'm also against letting motorcyclists fire up their choppers and letting them idle in bars. I don't much care what bad habits you and others have, but please keep your recreational odors to yourself.

PopeyeTheSailorman
Forum Addict

Postby PopeyeTheSailorman » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:30 am

scratch wrote:Popeye, let me make this simple for you. In fact I hope it will be simple enough for Carol, Flanders, and Blask to grasp. I don't like secondhand smoke...

Scratch, let me make this simple for you. I don't like secondhand smoke. I especially do not like it when I am trying to enjoy a meal in a restaurant. I have two young grandchildren and I do not want them exposed to second hand smoke.

Having said that, I have no problem with a neighborhood tavern that does not serve food obtaining a permit that will allow customers to smoke.

In my opinion, children should not be hanging out in bars.

Under the restrictions I propose by far most bars and taverns will be non-smoking.

I also have a new proposal to protect our children from second smoke.

It should be illegal to expose children to second hand smoke. Parents who smoke in the presence of their children should have their children taken from them by the state until the parents can prove that they have stopped smoking.

If the point of this whole thing is health then this is a logical extension of the smoking ban statutes.

I hope this is simple enough for you Scratch.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:51 am

PopeyeTheSailorman wrote:It should be illegal to expose children to second hand smoke. Parents who smoke in the presence of their children should have their children taken from them by the state until the parents can prove that they have stopped smoking.

Wow. Just...wow.

What about parents whose homes have fireplaces? What about parents who choose to allow their children to sit around a campfire? What about parents who give their overweight children candy and soda? What about parents who let their children ride bicycles and play with sticks? What about...

PopeyeTheSailorman
Forum Addict

Postby PopeyeTheSailorman » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:06 am

jman111 wrote:Wow. Just...wow.

Either second hand smoke is bad for you or it is not. If it is so bad that you can not smoke in a bar then it should not be permitted at home around your kids. It's seems completely logical to me.

You don't want to lose your kids then don't smoke when they are in the house.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:14 am

PopeyeTheSailorman wrote:Either second hand smoke is bad for you or it is not. If it is so bad that you can not smoke in a bar then it should not be permitted at home around your kids. It's seems completely logical to me.

This is an entirely specious argument and you know it. If you're all about constructive dialogue, stop making these absurd Solomonic decrees and argue your own points--not some devil's advocate nonsense.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:07 am

PopeyeTheSailorman wrote:It's seems completely logical to me.

I think we've identified the problem.

PopeyeTheSailorman
Forum Addict

Postby PopeyeTheSailorman » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:13 am

TheBookPolice wrote:This is an entirely specious argument and you know it...

So I assume then TheBookPolice that you are in favor of parents exposing their children to second hand smoke.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:14 am

PopeyeTheSailorman wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:This is an entirely specious argument and you know it...

So I assume then TheBookPolice that you are in favor of parents exposing their children to second hand smoke.

Really? This is how you want this conversation to go, Carol?

PopeyeTheSailorman
Forum Addict

Postby PopeyeTheSailorman » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:19 am

TheBookPolice wrote:Really? This is how you want this conversation to go, Carol?

It takes two to have a conversation, Adolf.

Return to “Headlines”