Tunisia, Egypt, Jordan...

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Tunisia, Egypt, Jordan...

Postby rabble » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:47 pm

It's amazing how these countries are managing to overthrow their own autocratic corrupt governments without us having to invade them and shove it down their throats.

I wonder how many more fledgling democracies we'd be seeing or how much sooner this would have happened if we hadn't destabilized the whole area with the Iraq occupation.

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Tunisia, Egypt, Jordan...

Postby green union terrace chair » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:57 pm

Hopefully they'll be replaced with democracies and not autocratic theocracies.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:32 pm

Cripes, I didn't think of that. We better invade 'em all anyway just to make sure they do it right.

c02
Forum Addict

Postby c02 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:09 pm

I'm guessing there are more than a handful of Chinese officials steadily sweating Twitter feeds as well as the rest of the internet these last few days.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:20 pm

NPR's coverage has been great. They have two female reporters in Cairo who go right out in the crowds and get interviews on the spot. It's inspirational how the people have managed to turn out in such huge numbers and still maintain relative order and peace. Things like this so often end poorly, and I truly hope this is an exception.

c02
Forum Addict

Postby c02 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:37 pm

For some reason it reminds me of 1989 Romania minus a headless dictator and hole-cut flags.

c02
Forum Addict

Postby c02 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:37 pm

For some reason it reminds me of 1989 Romania minus a headless dictator and hole-cut flags.

Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:36 pm

Obama and his predecessors have happily kept Mubarick on the U.S. subserviant payroll at the expense of both the American and Egyptian people for years. It would be best if the Egyptian military join the revolution and hopefully put an end to the regime and its perpetual subserviance to U.S. imperialism. Washington is looking desperate that some form of gangster order prevail.
Last edited by Stella_Guru on Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:52 pm

http://www.livestation.com/

If you want to watch Al Jazeera in English this is the place to go. At the moment they are streaming live footage from Tahrir Square.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:35 pm

Egypt's newly appointed vice-president says the protests are due to 'foreign elements'. Hey Suleiman, who pays your salary? Um, that would be us 'foreign elements', to the tune of $1.5 BILLION.

Also, bad move messing with Anderson Cooper.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:09 pm

Tunisia, Egypt, Jordan, hmmmm...

Everybody talk about Pop Muzik!

c02
Forum Addict

Postby c02 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:08 pm

Ahhhhh that reminds me of my yearly K-Tel Christmas present.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:17 pm

Mubarak is now rumored to be the richest man in the world. http://www.financialexpress.com/news/pct/747529/

This would apparently be most, if not all, of the "aid" we have sent them over the years. Do we do ANYthing to try and verify that money we send to these places ever gets used as it is supposed to? It's just mind-numbing stuff.

Read recently about how millions or billions of Haiti relief money has yet to be spent because of government holdups and indecision. I know what the indecision is, people in the Haitian government can't decide on the best way to funnel half that money into their own pockets.

Hopefully Ron Johnson's looking into all this shit. (oh, that's a good one)

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:26 pm

The GOP would rather cut Pell grants and school lunches for poor children than cut off one of their dictators.

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:52 pm

narcoleptish wrote:Mubarak is now rumored to be the richest man in the world. http://www.financialexpress.com/news/pct/747529/

Thanks for making me feel physically nauseous, narco.

Over the years I've worked on a bunch of projects with Egyptian scientists and engineers, both here in the US and on-site in Egypt. Without exception, all of those people were absolutely a pleasure to work with and to be around. I don't know whether to say it was heartwarming or heartbreaking to see people (many from very poor families, and all from a horribly impoverished country) working so hard and so cheerfully and patiently alongside a bunch of rich, noisy, fat, spoiled Americans, the least culturally-ignorant of whom (me) barely knew enough Arabic to get around.

On one trip, one of those guys couldn't meet us, so he sent his second-cousin to show us around the city for two days before we started work. The cousin lived in an apartment about the size of a large SUV. He didn't have enough money to get married. He adamantly refused to let us pay for a single thing in those two days, nor for a minute of his time.

The fact that Mubarak is the richest man in the world, while those guys' families were struggling to rise above utter squalor, just makes me feel sick. What the fuck are we doing propping up a bunch of kleptomaniacs who steal from and torture their own people and sell out their countries?

I guess ultimately that's why I'm a progressive.

I hope all my friends there are OK. Revolutions are messy things, and this could certainly turn out to be the best thing that's happened to Egypt, or the worst ... depending on what goes down over the next weeks and the next years.

Return to “Headlines”