Return of the Son of Snowpocalypse!!!

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Return of the Son of Snowpocalypse!!!

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:23 am

They're predicting a pummeling. I'm okay with that, the gas in my snowblower is starting to go bad.

http://host.madison.com/ct/weather/wint ... 3ce6c.html

Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:33 am

A big snowstorm in early March has a different emotional impact on me than a storm that dumps similar amounts of snow in early December. I know spring is around the corner, and they are predicting temps in the 50s next week. So I say let it snow...

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:07 am

Well, sure. But imagine if we had already received our typical allotment of flakes and were getting this storm, too. It would be like getting kicked when you're down. Remember? I typically hate the March storms because nature is making steady progress toward baseball and grilling and then pulls the football away (mix up the metaphors, it's Friday).

I'm viewing this as an opportunity to use the snowblower that has sat idle in the garage since early 2011.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:12 am

I'm hoping I can wait it out till it gets warm and not shovel. Maybe a little path on the sidewalk, but I think I can wait it out.

Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:34 pm

Like narcoleptish, I need to use the gas in my snowblower. So bring it on!!!

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:51 pm

The number 13 never showed up. The kids said their real time apps showed it had just left. Their apps was wrong.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:58 pm

Three inches. Woop de doo.

It was good to confirm that this little blower of mine can handle this kind of wet heavy snow, I guess. I don't think I've used it on this kind of stuff since I got it. And because I'm also fighting off some kinda bug, it was nice to have a blower and be done with it in a few minutes instead of an hour.

Otherwise, humph. Much ado about not much.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:11 pm

I shoveled my sidewalk cause I don't want to be a dick. The driveway will melt by early next week.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:14 pm

You only had three inches? Our by us we thought it was more like four to five. As soon as it fell it started to mash down and melt, so any measurement didn't last more than a moment or two. I shoveled it off the walk and drive, which was probably a waste of effort.

Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:25 pm

And yet one more reason to hate Mayor Soglin. The roads were plowed when I left East at 4:00 on my bicycle. Except for the bit of the lakefront path between Willy St. and Lakeshore Drive, none of the rest of the paths I traveled were plowed.

This is Soglin's revenge against those winter bicyclists that should be "taken out and shot"? News for you, Paul--if the paths aren't plowed, we will ride on the streets. I finally got some sense, took Glenway down to Monroe, and rode on plowed streets the rest of the way home. Not a bit of the SW bike path was plowed.

The entire time I've lived in Madison (since 1997) I had heard that the bike paths are a priority for plowing--if not first, then very soon afterwards. Today, after many hours of snowfall, major bike paths hadn't seen a plow at all.

Fuck you, Soglin. Thanks for your effort to make Madison into just another midwestern city.

Twinner
Forum Addict

Postby Twinner » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:14 pm

Galoot wrote:Fuck you, Soglin. Thanks for your effort to make Madison into just another midwestern city.

I'm with you. It's why I ride in the streets whether there's snow on not.

Petro
Forum Addict

Postby Petro » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:41 am

Galoot wrote:The entire time I've lived in Madison (since 1997) I had heard that the bike paths are a priority for plowing--if not first, then very soon afterwards. Today, after many hours of snowfall, major bike paths hadn't seen a plow at all.

I'd heard the same thing. A former coworker of mine that happened to be an avid cyclist and rather politically involved assured me that those rumors were simply not true - snow management on the bike paths are the bailiwick of a completely separate organization than the streets.

So, if it seems that the bike paths are being neglected in favor of the roads, it's because someone's taken pains to make it seem like that.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:08 pm

It's gonna be wonderful to see all that snow melt. The tulips in front of UW Credit Union are coming up. I almost thought I heard a robin.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:24 pm

Petro wrote:So, if it seems that the bike paths are being neglected in favor of the roads, it's because someone's taken pains to make it seem like that.

Snowspiracy?

Petro
Forum Addict

Postby Petro » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:24 pm

Ducatista wrote:Snowspiracy?

I parsed that as "snowpiracy" the first time over. That seemed more exciting.

Return to “Headlines”