Return of the Son of Snowpocalypse!!!

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Return of the Son of Snowpocalypse!!!

Postby jman111 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:16 pm

Driving outbound on John Nolen was...uh...a little rough around midnight. I've been in white-out conditions, but not like that. Beltline wasn't too bad- one wandering "lane" which slalomed around the biggest drifts. I think we got off easy compared to SE WI. I'm getting reports from family members of some monster drifts down there.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:26 pm

I'm glad I stayed inside last night and that a good neighbor snow blowed out my drive this morning.

I survived the great Ice Storm of '76, walking during its brunt from my last UW class (they never called off the university back in the day) to my apartment across from James Madison Park. My beard was totally encased in ice. Luckily, I was much younger then. Didn't even lose power as most people did. The line from the nearby MG&E plant to my apartment building didn't go down. Many were without electricity for days.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:39 pm

I did flash back to Dec 3, 1990, while trying to get home last night. That one was much heavier snow than this one, though.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:07 pm

The '76 ice storm was memorable for sheer weirdness. We lost power for days out by Tenney Park. The worst thing was the trees randomly breaking off, big limbs dropping right in front of you. For years after that you could see places in the country with lots of broken-apart trees, and everybody would nod and go "yep, that was the big ice storm."

I don't even remember 1990, in contrast, though I'm sure I was here somewhere. I do remember the one where everybody got stuck on Hy. 51 a few years ago, again for sheer weirdness. I think our Groundhog Day storm will go down in memory mostly for being on Groundhog Day. Just a whole lotta snow.

I've been talking with my neighbors all day as we shoveled (mostly by hand, because nobody's snow throwers actually perform as advertised). We're all happy, it's a sunny day, nobody had to work, and what more could you ask?

And the plow just went by my house and it's only 2 pm.
Last edited by snoqueen on Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:09 pm

snoqueen wrote:We're all happy, it's a sunny day, nobody had to work, and what more could you ask?

Govt work...good if you have it...

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:12 pm

I don't work for the gov't, silly.

Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:14 pm

snoqueen wrote:I don't work for the gov't, silly.

Took the day off? Unpaid I'd assume?

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:34 pm

Hey Crock, where is this going?

Maeve
Forum Addict

Postby Maeve » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:37 pm

Crock must be on Sno's Ignore list.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:42 pm

Crockett wrote:
snoqueen wrote:I don't work for the gov't, silly.

Took the day off? Unpaid I'd assume?

So did government workers. Ms Vilas' gov't clinic shut down and she was told to either take a furlough day or lose a vacation day.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:22 pm

After four or five sessions out there with the snowblower and shovel, I've got the driveway cleared, the car dug out, and paths dug to everywhere we'll need to get. Still another day's worth of cleanup to do but the mailman can get to the door and we can ferry our neighbor to the hospital if her hip pops again. Helped several neighbors get their aprons cleared. By the time they were done with the drifts in their driveways they didn't have much energy left.

Thanks for the gratuitous public worker slam, Crock. I took a furlough last week so I'll be burning a vacation day today. Since the buses weren't running, I couldn't have gotten in till I got the car dug out about noon anyway.

I'm assuming Crock put in a full day at work.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:34 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
I may have asked this in a previous year, but if so, I can't recall the response. How many of you rake your roof? And how many others wonder, as I do, if it's really necessary to do this?

The whole ice damming thing is a mystery to me. I grew up here and do not remember it ever being an issue until the last few years. My roof is one big radiator. The snow melts quickly and runs down to the porch where it creates a small glacier. This backs up and leaks frequently if left full of snow, so I've become a roof raker. The hope is to re-roof soon, hopefully do some sort of insulation work and a whole lot of ice & water shield. Then I shall set my roof rake on the curb.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:40 pm

We had an ice dam last winter that didn't do any damage as far as I can see but it scared me enough that I bought a roof rake this year.

I've used it twice. This year the wind's keeping the roof clean. Seems like we haven't had enough thaw/freeze cycles to make the mess we had on our roof last year.

Bad Gradger
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bad Gradger » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:58 pm

Two hours of teamwork and a dual-stage snowblower took care of things at my house. Once the wind died down and the sun came out the whole neighborhood was clearing snow. By 2 o'clock the dog owners could make it around the block without any problem.
narcoleptish wrote:The whole ice damming thing is a mystery to me. I grew up here and do not remember it ever being an issue until the last few years.

It's only an issue if your attic isn't properly insulated and ventilated.

Maeve
Forum Addict

Postby Maeve » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:46 pm

Yeah, I gotta love election year because Mayor D didn't appear to bother himself with the small stuff like snow removal in years previous – who cares if the town is shut down, let's put up a hotel!

I have to say the plows have been absolutely grooming my small street on the east side today. The plowmen actually knocked on my neighbor's door and asked her to please move her car off the street, then gave her the heads up to not park in her driveway because she'd be snowed in by them. (She'd already completely cleared off her car and shoveled the street five feet in each direction.) Advised her to go somewhere until they finished the job.

Last winter I thought I'd come home on my lunch hour and clean up the massive hill left at the end of the driveway by snowplows. I allotted 15 minutes, max, and figured I'd be a nice person and clean up my neighbor's side of the drive, too. It was an innocent-looking slush/snow mix and I wanted to be rid of it before it froze that night. 45 minutes later I was nearly done with a fairly respectable clearing of my-side-only when the plow, it returned.

We're at the end of the block and he had a snotful of snowplow ready to be deployed at my driveway's base. I rested against my shovel, waiting for the inevitable. (“Blindfold, please!”) Didn't want to be rude to an obviously hardworking person. Instead he pulls into our driveway and finishes the job for me, including my neighbor's side. Took him less than 45 seconds. What a guy! What a plow!

Return to “Headlines”