Return of the Son of Snowpocalypse!!!

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
Bad Gradger
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Return of the Son of Snowpocalypse!!!

Postby Bad Gradger » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:54 pm

Comrade wrote:Dammit! You forgot to tell me to stock up on toilet paper when I made the beer run. Now I can't poop for the duration of the storm.

Do like any good World of Warcraft player does, and poop sock it.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:19 pm

Friends caught me buying icecream sandwiches and rootbeer. I said I never run out of brandy and toilet paper.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:25 pm

I'm trying not to think about all the work this will involve, even with a mid-size snowblower. Just think about being a kid and looking outside. It is snowing so hard that in this over-hyped world of ours, the word awesome can be used and still somehow not seem like enough. What's bigger than awesome? Stupifying?

Stupifying!!!

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:40 pm

gargantua wrote:I'm trying not to think about all the work this will involve, even with a mid-size snowblower. Just think about being a kid and looking outside. It is snowing so hard that in this over-hyped world of ours, the word awesome can be used and still somehow not seem like enough. What's bigger than awesome? Stupifying?

Stupifying!!!

I have no snow blower, a large driveway, and it's way too expensive for snow removal services. I don't care about the work, it's just that I don't have anywhere else to put the snow. I have to come up with a good strategy for this one.

I will say I'm glad I'm inside now because it really looks shitty out there. I walked about four blocks earlier and I got some nasty wind burn.

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:57 pm

Stebben84 wrote:I will say I'm glad I'm inside now because it really looks shitty out there. I walked about four blocks earlier and I got some nasty wind burn.

I swear I saw James Arness stagger by a moment ago, a drained husky in each hand.

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:07 pm

Stebben84 wrote:I have no snow blower, a large driveway, and it's way too expensive for snow removal services. I don't care about the work, it's just that I don't have anywhere else to put the snow. I have to come up with a good strategy for this one.

Too late now (obviously) but when I was a kid, there was a neighbor that had a snowblower that would blow snow off of the area between the street and sidewalk during the early part of the winter. Then later on, when we really got socked, the plow would dump most of the snow on his terrace instead of his driveway, since there was no snowbank there. Maybe there would be some way to do the same sort of thing shoveling - Clear an area early in the year, in case you need to use it as a dumping ground later.

Alternatively, find an older house in the neighborhood that still has the door for a coal chute. Dump a bunch of snow down there.

Carol
Forum Addict

Postby Carol » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:28 am

Satellite image of the Groundhog's Day Blizzard of 2011, taken at 8pm EST February 1. Image credit: NASA/GSFC.

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMa ... ticle.html

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:39 am

The silver lining for me is no need for roof raking. This wind has blown it all off. Granted it's all in the driveway, but I'll take it.

Carol
Forum Addict

Postby Carol » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:49 am

Alarm just went off on the weather radio, saying that emergency vehicles might not be able to reach stranded motorists, and advising them to run the engine 10 minutes every hour and crack the downwind window.

Carol
Forum Addict

Postby Carol » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:16 am

WisDOT says that I-94 is impassable from Milwaukee to the Illinois border, and I-43 from Mukwonago to Milwaukee.

http://www.511wi.gov/web/WinterRoad.aspx

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:26 am

I was one shoveling motherfucker this morning. Ho-lee shit.

Guess I don't have to hit the gym today...

Last night, walking the two blocks back to my house from the Glass Nickel was an act of pure will.

Fortunately I have a will of iron; otherwise, one of my poor neighbors would be uncovering my stiff, frozen corpse right about now.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:18 pm

narcoleptish wrote:The silver lining for me is no need for roof raking.

I may have asked this in a previous year, but if so, I can't recall the response. How many of you rake your roof? And how many others wonder, as I do, if it's really necessary to do this?

I grew up in the Midwest -- Northern IL, specifically, where the weather is basically identical to Southern WI -- and until I moved to Madison, I'd never heard of nor seen anyone do this. I have personally never done it in the 6 years I've owned a house in Madison. I have never heard of anyone's roof collapsing on their house (I hear of one or two collapsed roofs a year, they are never homes, always other kinds of buildings.)

Where does this fear come from and is it justified? Is my roof just a deathtrap waiting to happen or are folks just worrying about nothing?

Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:20 pm

My neighbor always shovels, lawn-mows, and leaf rakes about 6 feet past the property line. Rationally, I should be glad he's doing my work for me.

But deep down it seems like he's trying to steal my proppity.

Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:59 pm

Yes, it is worthwhile raking your roof for the first foot or so. I think it was the blizzard of '99 that resulted in major damaged to the homes of several people I knew. Ice dams resulted in seepage into the outer walls of the house, and in all the cases I heard of, it was thousands of dollars of repair work.

It's a bit of a pain to do it, but once you get it down to the asphalt for a few inches, the sun does the rest.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:03 pm

Marvell wrote:Last night, walking the two blocks back to my house from the Glass Nickel was an act of pure will.

My five-block walk from Maduro was inSANE. Worst weather I've ever walked in, I think.

Return to “Headlines”