Overture

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
jayrath
Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:39 pm
Location: Madison
Contact:

Overture

Postby jayrath » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:40 pm

I've deleted my post.
Last edited by jayrath on Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3022
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:33 pm
Location: Memorial Union
Contact:

Re: A pig in Overture's polk?

Postby green union terrace chair » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:36 pm

Is this your article?
http://www.thedailypage.com/daily/artic ... icle=29611

It doesn't have an attribution and reads like a blog post loosly-based on your story above.

pattymcnutt
Forum Addict
Posts: 298
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:18 pm
Location: Madison

Re: A pig in Overture's polk?

Postby pattymcnutt » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:15 pm

I always thought the phrase was "pig in a poke".....

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 8719
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:12 pm
Location: parents' basement

Re: A pig in Overture's polk?

Postby Huckleby » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:51 pm

jayrath wrote: Donors require that the city assume ownership of the building


Well then the donors can go to hell.

This is disgusting. Another "gift" in the form of a power play. This has echo's of the whole heavy-handed way that this project was foisted on the public in the first place.

Madison should consider voluntarily taking ownership, on its own terms, in good time.

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3022
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:33 pm
Location: Memorial Union
Contact:

Re: A pig in Overture's polk?

Postby green union terrace chair » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:24 am

Huckleby wrote:
jayrath wrote: Donors require that the city assume ownership of the building


Well then the donors can go to hell.

This is disgusting. Another "gift" in the form of a power play. This has echo's of the whole heavy-handed way that this project was foisted on the public in the first place.

Madison should consider voluntarily taking ownership, on its own terms, in good time.


Honestly, what is the worst that could happen if the city just waited this out a few years? Are they going to shutter the place?

rabble
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7892
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: Overture

Postby rabble » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:00 pm

jayrath wrote:I've deleted my post.

I thought that might happen, so I saved it.

I'm guessing you're going to formally request that I not re-post it here. That makes me sad.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 8534
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:09 pm
Location: The mystical Far East
Contact:

Re: A pig in Overture's polk?

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:54 pm

pattymcnutt wrote:I always thought the phrase was "pig in a poke".....

It is.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3428
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:26 am

Re: Overture

Postby bdog » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:59 pm

rabble wrote:
jayrath wrote:I've deleted my post.

I thought that might happen, so I saved it.

Me too. Is it fair game to quote a post after it's been deleted?

Questions remain:

1. What was the motivation behind a story being so decimated it disgusted the author enough to post the unedited version?

2. What was the motivation behind said author retracting the unedited version?

rabble
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7892
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: Overture

Postby rabble » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:03 pm

bdog wrote:Questions remain:

1. What was the motivation behind a story being so decimated it disgusted the author enough to post the unedited version?

2. What was the motivation behind said author retracting the unedited version?

The underlying motivator in each is certainly money. From there it probably gets pretty complicated.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 8719
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:12 pm
Location: parents' basement

Re: Overture

Postby Huckleby » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:15 pm

Does Linda Baldwin of MCAD still have inside influence with Isthmus?

What the hell is going on here with this censorship?

rabble
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7892
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: Overture

Postby rabble » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:43 pm

Huckleby wrote:Does Linda Baldwin of MCAD still have inside influence with Isthmus?

What the hell is going on here with this censorship?

Hey. Don't go all Madison on us, dude.

I think that one's going to be around a while. Congratulations Dave, you've created a legacy. :-)

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 6073
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:59 pm
Contact:

Re: Overture

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:18 pm

How dare the city try to take over an institution that fosters and promotes the arts. It's despicable. My hard earned dollars go towards pools, bus stops, and the city channel, not cultural things. The conspiracy is that they're forcing us to appreciate art. Those rotten fucks. Let's get them all out of office. I've lived here many years and my hope was that it would remain the same for the many years to come. I never wanted newer, and better things. I wanted it to stay the same as it did 15 years ago. Screw trying to make Madison a place where people might stay because it has exciting things to offer. I want a stagnant community where people are scared about taking risks because it might only benefit those who live here in the future.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 12960
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:42 pm

Re: Overture

Postby snoqueen » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:28 pm

I'm frustrated because I can't read Jay's original post.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 8719
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:12 pm
Location: parents' basement

Re: Overture

Postby Huckleby » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:27 pm

Stebben84 wrote:How dare the city try to take over an institution that fosters and promotes the arts. It's despicable.

Could you invent a more idiotic straw man to knock down?

Just because we support the arts does not mean we write a blank check for a sinkhole that soak-up all the arts funding in the area. We need to understand the finances of the Overture Center better before buying it. That means watching it for a couple years when it doesn't have funds it can draw on.

Maybe the city should take-over the OC and operate it much like it has been. Then again, maybe not. We can support the Overture Center for a few years without having to commit to owning the damn thing. If the Overture Center is not an undue burden, WHY THE HEAVY-HANDED PRESSURE TO QUICKLY MAKE IT A WARD OF THE CITY?

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 8534
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:09 pm
Location: The mystical Far East
Contact:

Re: Overture

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:49 am

snoqueen wrote:I'm frustrated because I can't read Jay's original post.

It's been long enough now that Google's cache is available. Just search for "a pig in overture's polk," and you'll find it.

That erroneous use of poke/polk hurts every time I read it.


Return to “Headlines”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests