Audrey Seiler syndrome?

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Audrey Seiler syndrome?

Postby jjoyce » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:40 am

So this woman up in Morrisonville apparently got a little overwhelmed and took off for a few days, huh?

http://www.channel3000.com/news/23892269/detail.html

I remember the anger over Audrey Seiler's situation, which was blown out of proportion by cable TV attention and her own lies about being abducted. But how common is this, really? Obviously, if you have a family and just bail, you're going to be missed and the authorities are going to get involved. If you're a college student and your parents are out of state and you disappear, a high-profile search will ensue, particularly if you're attractive.

But how often do people who aren't in those situations go MIA? It seems like the big difference is that some people might leave a note or even straight-up tell someone "Y'know, life is kind of crushing me lately. I'm going to the woods for awhile to collect my thoughts."

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Audrey Seiler syndrome?

Postby green union terrace chair » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:10 pm

jjoyce wrote:If you're a college student and your parents are out of state and you disappear, a high-profile search will ensue, particularly if you're attractive.

It's more than that: Audrey Seiler planned and enacted a scheme to make it look like she was forcibly abducted, then hid from searchers.

The woman in this latest story just kind of took off without telling anyone.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:42 pm

But, correct me if I'm wrong, Audrey's "scheme" did not become apparent until after she was found. During the search there was no indication of an abduction, fabricated or not. So, these two situations were quite similar until they were found.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:52 pm

jman111 wrote:But, correct me if I'm wrong, Audrey's "scheme" did not become apparent until after she was found. During the search there was no indication of an abduction, fabricated or not. So, these two situations were quite similar until they were found.

The way I remember it, they found duck tape and rope and other suspicious stuff near her apartment which was what triggered the media circus, and it was only afterwards that they found out she bought them. But I'm too lazy to go look it up.

HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:02 pm

Didn't this happen a couple summers ago?

Within a few weeks, we had a couple overwhelmed soccer moms just take off because they "needed a break" but didn't want to tell anyone.

Truly selfish behavior.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:06 pm

lazy...ditto
But I think all that stuff came in to play after she was found. I only remember seeing video of her walking out of The Regent during the search. The purchases were made to support the story of her abduction in preparation of her "escape" from capitivity near the beltline.

coldspotter

Postby coldspotter » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:53 pm

If you lived in the DeForest area you'd want to leave too. People are crazy there!

Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:07 pm

I sort of figured she'd wandered off and just gotten lost. I mean, as anyone familiar with the area will tell you, once you get a couple of miles out of town, you can't see DeForest for the trees.

What? Too soon?

pattymcnutt
Forum Addict

Postby pattymcnutt » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:15 pm

The difference is that Audrey planned the whole thing ahead of time (ie buying the knife and rope), deliberately hid from searchers, and then lied about the abduction after she was found. Plus there was a prior incident in which she had made up a story about being knocked unconscious on a sidewalk.

This woman in De Forest certainly should have told someone where she was going, but it doesn't seem like her intent was malicious and it sounds like she was pretty honest with the police about what happened. It also seems like she didn't really plan it ahead of time and left on a whim (hence no food in the car, no map or directions), which makes me wonder if she was intending to hurt herself and then changed her mind. To the average person it seems pretty illogical that she wouldn't tell her family where she was going, but remember that a person under extreme emotional distress isn't capable of thinking logically. I'm glad to hear she's in the hospital- I hope she gets the help she needs.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:39 pm

I've known a couple people who've pulled the "flip out, take off" routine. One guy rode his motorcycle to Montana until it broke down and then he flew home. The other guy drove straight from Wisconsin to the Florida Keys. He ended up killing himself a few monthes later back in Madison.

I've occasionally daydreamt about bailing. Who hasn't?
With a pocket full of cash, I've wondered how far I could travel (likely by car) without announcing myself on the grid. America, even these days, is still a big place. If a person were smart about it, they could vanish.

A wise surfing instructor once said, "When life gives you lemons, just say 'Fuck the lemons,' and bail."

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:59 pm

I think its similar to the Audrey Seiler thing to the extent that someone just got so overwhelmed that she just tried to escape. Hard to think clearly when you're freaking out and it just seems like all the bad things in the world are closing in.

Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:38 pm

Is anyone really free from the madness that is a sudden flush of existential angst that overloads the mind, causing you look deep and hard into your own eyes staring back at you in the mirror, wondering "Who are you and what are you doing here?" and then in a flash you think the best answer to that question is to run?

Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:29 pm

Audrey Seiler also made a report of being attacked (on St. James Court, IIRC) and hit over the head by a vaguely described assailant who tried to drag her off a couple of weeks before she took her sabbatical.

Plus, no one was going to foreclose on anything she owned at the time, and she wasn't a possible suspect in an embezzlement, so, there's that, too.

It's not a case of Audrey Seiler syndrome. It's a case of running away from your problems without thinking about what happens after you leave.

Ingabinga

Postby Ingabinga » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:29 am

At first I thought that the AWOL soccer mom should be held liable for the expense of the massive search that taxpayers paid for when she decided to split. But if she did just intend to go up to the woods for the day, think things over and return in time for soccer practice, then it really was unintentional. Bad judgment, but not malicious.

Very different from Audrey, who plotted and planned her fake abduction for maximum effect and maximum deployment of law enforcement and emergency personnel.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:04 am

supaunknown wrote:I've occasionally daydreamt about bailing. Who hasn't?
With a pocket full of cash, I've wondered how far I could travel (likely by car) without announcing myself on the grid. America, even these days, is still a big place. If a person were smart about it, they could vanish.

This was actually me once.

After I got back from Alaska the first time I took Amtrak back from Seattle, and disembarked in Columbus.

I walked into the station and went up to the station agent's window.

"Can you tell me when the next bus is for Madison?" I asked.

The station agent doffed his cap and scratched his head. "Don't rightly know," he replied. "Could be today; could be tomorrow."

Oh great, I thought. I went to the payphone and called Union Cab. As it turns out, they were making a delivery of some human organs to the clinic in Beaver Dam anyway, and were willing to come pick me up.

So, while I waited for the cab to come I wandered around Columbus. I saw a 'room for rent' sign in the window of an old Victorian house on the main drag.

I had almost three grand in cash in my pocket. I wasn't getting along all that well with my family at the time, and was pretty alienated from society in general.

That's when it hit me; I didn't HAVE to go back. To Madison; to my life as I had lived it up until that moment. I didn't have to call my family; I could simply fail to show up, and let them spend the rest of their lives wondering whatever the hell happened to me.

I was tempted; I don't mind telling you. But by the time the cab showed up I had made my decision - not to fold in my hand, but keep playing the cards I'd been dealt.

I can't say I never regret the decision. That would be a lie.

Return to “Headlines”