Fort Hood Shooting

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Fort Hood Shooting

Postby penquin » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:12 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Who says the military shoudn't have firearms?

Speaking of, can you please clarify: You beleive that only the military (ie "militia") has a right to bear arms in this country...correct?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:22 pm

penquin wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:Who says the military shoudn't have firearms?

Speaking of, can you please clarify: You beleive that only the military (ie "militia") has a right to bear arms in this country...correct?

A few posts up I wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote: I am not for banning all guns.

Having trouble with your reading comprehension?

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:22 pm

Correct. The military, celebrities, politicians and their bodyguards. We all know that's what the found dead white guys meant.

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:26 pm

I never said you were for banning all guns, rather I asked if you beleive that only the military (ie "militia") has a right to bear arms in this country.

Reckon I should clear that up by saying a "protected constitutional right"....can you please answer the question?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:30 pm

Why would you ask if the military should be banned from having firearms? That is a crazy question and something that I have never said. You are getting very desperate in defending you position.

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:39 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Why would you ask if the military should be banned from having firearms?

You started drinking hard and early this morning, didn't ya...'cause I never asked such a thing.

Maybe I did misunderstand your stance, and it should be cleared up. There are two basic opinions when it comes to the Second Amendment - some folks think it protects the right of the individual to bears arms, while other thinks it only applies to organized state militias (ie, National Guard).

Which do you beleive?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:45 pm

penquin wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:Why would you ask if the military should be banned from having firearms?

You started drinking hard and early this morning, didn't ya...'cause I never asked such a thing.

Projecting again.

From your earlier post:
penquin wrote:I never said you were for banning all guns, rather I asked if you beleive (sic) that only the military (ie "militia") has a right to bear arms in this country.

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:49 pm

It's a simple question....in your opinion who does the 2nd Amendment protect - individuals or militias?

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:15 pm

penquin wrote:It's a simple question....in your opinion who does the 2nd Amendment protect - individuals or militias?

The "militia" as described in the Second Amendment does not refer to the military.

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:35 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Ft. Hood redux: Unarmed soldiers cowering in their bunks as another "gun free zone" is attacked.

Doesn't give one much faith in the current state of the military. I'm sure Putie took notice.

Excellent institutional memory on your part, I guess.
What demons do you endevour to stir?
I believe we are willing to fight a worthy fight.
Why tie this tragedy to geopolitics?
Your motive is suspicious.
Whatever, we all deserve a voice.
Right?

wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:23 am

I listened to a lot of the coverage on this last night and again this morning, and I'm still a bit confused: was the shooter a good-guy-with-a-gun having a bad day, or was he a bad guy pretending to be a good guy? For 15 years?

The gun rights crowd has led me to believe that these two types are obvious and easily identifiable, but it doesn't seem so clear here. Hmmm.

Worth noting that the incident was stopped by a good gal with a gun. Maybe that's the key: only allow women to have guns. They're much more sensible about them.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:05 am

Correct. You're confused.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:26 am

Guns Galore

Fort Hood officials say Guns Galore, perched along the main road to the nation's largest Army post, is where Spc. Ivan Lopez bought the .45-caliber pistol used to kill three people and wound 16 others this week. It also sold a semi-automatic pistol, laser sights and high-capacity magazines in 2009 to Nidal Hasan, who then killed 13 people and wounded more than 30 others in a base rampage.
And the justification for selling high capacity clips is...?

Federal law generally prohibits selling guns to people who've been involuntarily committed to a mental health facility or have been ruled by a court to be a danger to themselves or others. Gun control advocates say that leaves a gaping loophole during computer background checks.

Ladd Everitt, spokesman for the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence, called Lopez's rampage another example of the gun industry profits taking precedence over safety. But he also cut Guns Galore a break.

"I can't possibly lay any blame at their door. Dealers are in this to make money," Everitt said. "So I don't think we should count on gun dealers to be psychiatrists or law enforcement officers. We need better laws on the books."

wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:19 am

Ned Flanders wrote:Correct. You're confused.

Thanks, I appreciate your well-informed opinion and knowledge. Would you be so kind as to explain away my confusion?

How do you tell the good guys from bad guys? Before they start shooting?

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:27 am

wack wack wrote:PJ, thanks for sharing and making this personal... it helps to ward off the dismissive "not this again" and keep things real.

Best of luck and love to Dorry.

Well, given that this thread is four and a half years old, which absolutely amazes me, Dorrie is doing great and we're supposed to get together to watch the second installment of The Hobbit when it comes out on DVD. I think that's today. I'll have to pop into Target and see if it's on the shelves.

As to the gun debate, I see no sign that anyone who's currently staked a claim will change their mind about anything any time soon. It's odd that something that is essentially non-political takes on such a political tone. I suspect that if the party roles were reversed Ned would be calling us all murderers who don't care about innocent lives. Plus, Clinton's penis.

Return to “Headlines”