Fort Hood Shooting

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Fort Hood Shooting

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:39 pm

minnow wrote:They have been indocturnated by war games on TV and videos, on play station and Nintendo game packs. And you know that no one really gets killed on these games.

Have you ever seen any in the wildly popular Grand Theft Auto series?

As a vet, I sympathize with their loss, but feel most of the casualties of these wars were unnecessary. I hope we can soon get out of these quagmires, but I am not especially optimistic.

cmb53208

Postby cmb53208 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:11 pm

PJ:

My best wishes to you and your friend. I'll be sure to send a card wishing her a speedy recovery.

minnow
Forum Addict

Postby minnow » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:47 pm

I'm with you, HenryVilas. Our young people belong home, but it appears that our Government doesn't really believe what they say. Long ago (I believe it was Gabriel Heater) someone said that perhaps we should draft our older men to war and save the younger ones. I suspect if our Congress members were drafted, we'd see far fewer wars. :( If I've spelled Gabriel Heater's name and assigned this mention incorrectly, I appoligize. But it was long ago when I was young.
PJ, your friend also has my well-wishes and hopes for a speedy recovery. I believe that the men and women in our military represent the best of America.
Please pass on my thanks for your friend's willingness to protect and serve for our country - even in far-away places.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:46 pm

I spoke to Dorry and she's back in Madison, perhaps permanently. She's still active duty at least until she finishes physical rehab and she intends to simply go back to work at the counseling center here in town. She wanted to thank everyone for their support and well wishes, she got hundreds of cards and letters and it definitely helped keep her spirits up. She sounded great and seemed very confident that she would fully recover and settle down to a less exciting life.

The rest of her medical unit is still destined for Afghanistan, if they aren't there already. I suppose our thoughts and prayers should be with them.

chubby
Forum Addict

Postby chubby » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:50 am

alahu akbar!!!

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:06 am

Ft. Hood redux: Unarmed soldiers cowering in their bunks as another "gun free zone" is attacked.

Doesn't give one much faith in the current state of the military. I'm sure Putie took notice.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:10 am

Must be Obama's fault.

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:16 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Must be Obama's fault.

Some would say that. Others would say that it is because we don't have enough gun laws on the books.

Funny thing is, both sides are just as valid.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:20 am

penquin wrote: Others would say that it is because we don't have enough gun laws on the books.

Really? Who says the military shoudn't have firearms? I call your statement a strawman.

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:46 am

The firearm the shooter used was purchased, not issued.

wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:48 am

PJ, thanks for sharing and making this personal... it helps to ward off the dismissive "not this again" and keep things real.

Best of luck and love to Dorry.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:51 am

penquin wrote:The firearm the shooter used was purchased, not issued.

Yes. But so what? Legally purchased firearms are sometimes used in criminal acts. I am not for banning all guns.

Now tell me what is your (non-strawman) argument?

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:59 am

I agree with Hank. Soldiers should be armed with pretty pinwheels, water balloons and lots of warm, comfy feelings.

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:07 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Legally purchased firearms are sometimes used in criminal acts.

Yup, and as I said...some people would respond to that by claiming we don't have enough gun laws on the books.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:09 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Really? Who says the military shoudn't have firearms? I call your statement a strawman.

Ned Flanders wrote:I agree with Hank. Soldiers should be armed with pretty pinwheels, water balloons and lots of warm, comfy feelings.

Looks like Ned just said that.

Return to “Headlines”