coyotes killing cats - warning

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
minnow
Forum Addict

coyotes killing cats - warning

Postby minnow » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:13 am

There are missing cats all along County "Y" in Mazo at least 5 cats. These are house cats. We lost 2 - one was 11 years old and the other was about 4 (a feral cat we tamed, and spayed.) She sometimes slept in our bed, that is when the ferret didn't chase her out. Ricki was 18#, and rarely left our property of 5 1/2 acres. The feral cat stayed near our house during the day and both were in at night. We found coyote tracks all over our property. My husband saw 2 of them early this spring. A neighbor about a mile down the road also lost 2 cats. And another one disappeared in the vicinity (so I was told.) We are trying to prevent any more disappearances - we still have 3 more (all ferals we tamed and rescued.) We no longer have any dogs - our daughter and grandchildren took them when they moved. And I'd be afraid that the coyotes would also attack them. We helped a neightbor in the nearby trailer court catch his run-a-way dog, but it escaped again and it's been gone for a while. Just a small dog.
We can legally hunt these carnavores on our property and at night, but it's very difficult to do. We can't set out traps - these critters are too smart. Poison is out because of the cats and raccoons. We have raccoons that come around also. Don't want to adversely affect any other animals.

Peacetrain
Forum God/Goddess

Re: coyotes killing cats - warning

Postby Peacetrain » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:38 am

minnow wrote:There are missing cats all along County "Y" in Mazo at least 5 cats. These are house cats. We lost 2 - one was 11 years old and the other was about 4 (a feral cat we tamed, and spayed.) She sometimes slept in our bed, that is when the ferret didn't chase her out. Ricki was 18#, and rarely left our property of 5 1/2 acres. The feral cat stayed near our house during the day and both were in at night. We found coyote tracks all over our property. My husband saw 2 of them early this spring. A neighbor about a mile down the road also lost 2 cats. And another one disappeared in the vicinity (so I was told.) We are trying to prevent any more disappearances - we still have 3 more (all ferals we tamed and rescued.) We no longer have any dogs - our daughter and grandchildren took them when they moved. And I'd be afraid that the coyotes would also attack them. We helped a neightbor in the nearby trailer court catch his run-a-way dog, but it escaped again and it's been gone for a while. Just a small dog.
We can legally hunt these carnavores on our property and at night, but it's very difficult to do. We can't set out traps - these critters are too smart. Poison is out because of the cats and raccoons. We have raccoons that come around also. Don't want to adversely affect any other animals.

Choose to live amongst nature, dont be suprised when nature shows up at your door...maybe if you werent taking away some of its food source (feral cats) it wouldnt need to be hunting in your back yard. What gives those wild cats you took in any more right to live and hunt for food than the coyotes?

I lived outside mazo for a little while and loved being able to listen to and occasionally watch the coyotes. Never lost a pet, nor did our neighbor who had lived out there for 10+ years. Might of just been lucky, but we were pretty diligent with the cats/dogs.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:06 am

cats killing songbirds - warning.

Go coyotes!

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:20 am

AaronTheSnob
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AaronTheSnob » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:06 pm

Sorry for the loss of your cats, but in my opinion, anyone who lets their pets wander around outside is asking for trouble. I used to work with a woman who had an apartment on Univ Ave near Allen Blvd in Middleton. I lost count of the number of her cats who were run over on Univ Ave. As soon as she lost one, she'd march down to the Humane Society and get another one, until that one was mowed down, then she'd get another one and repeat the process over again. She claimed she thought it was "cruel" to keep a cat indoors all the time. What a fucking maroon.

People who live in rural areas are particularly guilty of this. Drive around in the country and be amazed at the number of dead cats you see on the roads.

My motto: You have a pet, you protect and take care of it. End of story.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:37 pm

http://www.thedailypage.com/daily/artic ... icle=25700

According to people at this meeting, coyotes have always been here and always will be here. But there's something you're doing that's making it more hospitable, which might be as simple as letting your house cats roam around outside.

Do you have bird feeders? They attract a lot of small animals that, in turn, attract coyotes. Do you see the coyotes? If so, you might want to make a big racket to shoo them away. They would prefer to not be anywhere near people.

freia1

Postby freia1 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:59 pm

Minnow sorry about your kitties and I understand the indoor/outdoor cat dilemma. Cats who are baiscally feral are almost impossible to keep indoors. It does not work. My cats enjoy the best of both worlds, because so far I have a cat proof fence around my house.

Would minnow or anyone else be interested in this kitty?
Dane Co, Friends of Ferals has Buddy, a gray tabby, who had an old eye injury so his left eye looks funny. Anyhow he was a foster and now they got him at Mounds Middleton, but for the 2 times that I saw him (I volunteer once a month), he just sits in the corner by himself. He looks very lonely, but according to his foster (she was also the foster of my cats), he is a very nice and friendly cat once he warms up to you. It would be nice for him to get a forever home. His webpage is here http://www.daneferals.org/animals/detail?AnimalID=995387

Check out the website for some other great cats if you are interested.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:05 pm

Food chain. Coyote's gotta eat.
Personally I think coyotes are a whole lot more interesting than feral cats.
Nature has given cats all the right tools to hunt, be elusive, or defend themselves if need be. Sometimes cats eat, sometimes they get eaten.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:30 pm

The average lifespan of an indoor cat is 14 years. Let the cat outside and it's only four.

I have two indoor cats. I also have birdfeeders. Outdoor cats have caught more than a few song birds. But on the plus side they can keep the rabbits in check. Coyotes are even better, as they prey on both bunnies and the ferals/outdoor felines.

It's nature's way.

roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

Postby roadkill bill » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:42 pm

Could you send some of the coyotes to my house? The bunnies are eating everything in sight, and some small animal (a cat, I'm guessing) has decided to shit in the same spot in my yard on a regular basis. And it's right in the logical path for me to get to the back of my yard.

As someone who had a pair of cats for 2 decades (they lived that long because they stayed inside), I both love cats and wish people would keep them inside. I love the birds as well, and migratory birds in particular are quite vulnerable to domestic cat predation.

If you live on a farm and need the cats to keep the mouse/rat population out of the barns, you should expect to lose your cats on a regular basis. Raccoons can also also do in a cat pretty easily, and we have no shortage of those either.

mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:58 pm

My cat is also enjoying a nice long life as an indoor-only pet. Yes, he'd enjoy spending time outdoors if he got the chance, but he seems to have no reasonable fear of anything (cars included), so I know he wouldn't last long out there.

roadkill bill wrote:If you live on a farm and need the cats to keep the mouse/rat population out of the barns, you should expect to lose your cats on a regular basis. Raccoons can also also do in a cat pretty easily, and we have no shortage of those either.

I'm guessing most farmers learn pretty quickly not to get overly attached to any of their farm cats.

If you keep livestock, you'll probably even lose some cats to larger animals sitting, stepping or lying down on them.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:26 pm

My cats are not indoor-only cats. I have a deck around which I placed chicken wire to prevent them from squeezing through. The cats love laying out on it. I highly recommend this approach.

roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

Postby roadkill bill » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:44 pm

TAsunder wrote:My cats are not indoor-only cats. I have a deck around which I placed chicken wire to prevent them from squeezing through. The cats love laying out on it. I highly recommend this approach.

That works too.

One of my cats learned to tolerate a leash, and she and I would sit on the front lawn together. The other cat never got used to the leash, so she was restricted to the enclosed porch.

minnow
Forum Addict

Postby minnow » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:16 pm

Feral cats - aren't always feral. Most of the ones we find and capture are ones that show up right after MATC and the UW students go home for the summer. And guess what, some of these have been de-clawed. My daughter has taken in one without any claws - front or back - but it wasn't neutered. And we found one a few years ago that had the front claws removed. So what protection would these cats have. Anyway, we haven't had any problems for over 30 years with our dogs or our cats until this year. We do see raccoons sometimes - one actually got into our front entrance - sneaky bugger found out how to open the latch. He tipped over the closed tub we had for cat food. That latch was fixed the next day. :) We enjoy watching the birds, the deer, the squirrels, and the rabbits. We also get to watch the fireflies-just before a rain. And we actually saw a pair of otters that came up the Mazo Farms drainage ditch by mistake. Was that ever neat. We have encounters with a family of skunks, woodchucks that come right up the driveway, and butterflies. We even saw a fox - but only once. We enjoy nature and what it has to offer. However, the coyotes have become so daring that 2 neighbors have seen them right on their front decks. Another neighbor saw a whole pack running hwy 60 bridge. Don't know for sure on that one.
We just rescued another cat about 6 weeks ago -shortly after school let out. He was the nicest cat. It came to me meuwing. I was able to pick him up. He wasn't neutered, but it did look like he had worn a collar- the fur looked like "ring around the collar." We couldn't find anyone who claimed to own him, so we paid to have him neutered. Then we advertised in the newspapers. Found a person who liked him and both are doing well.
As far as the cats we have, they are indoor/outdoor cats and will continue to be so. We now walk the property just before dark and make sure all of them are home.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:40 pm

Ten years ago you could walk through larger clumps of woods in suburban areas and hear the beautiful, flute-like call of wood thrushes.

No more. Wood thrushes tend to nest and dwell near the ground, and are easy targets for cats. Rising cat populations reportedly have pushed wood thrushes and many other song birds into deeper woodlands.

The funny thing, is I have never seen a feral cat out in the woods, despite much trapsing about. Are those little buggers just sneaky? Or are their numbers exaggerated?

Return to “Headlines”