Target Near Hilldale?

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
EastSideTom
Forum Addict

Re: Target Near Hilldale?

Postby EastSideTom » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:09 am

[quote=" you never see an empty Target. And that's with none of those locations appealing to UW students.[/quote]

I challenge that statement. A couple of months ago, I visited the new Target store in Sun Prairie just to check it out. Hardly anybody in there. Employees outnumbered customers, big time.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:26 am

Henry Vilas wrote:
Shipley wrote:and now Target Downtown...

Where are they putting one downtown? Or do you mean Hilldale, which is hardly downtown?

Well its location is certainly intended to be more accessible for those in town, more so than the Fitchburg location or the east side.

AaronTheSnob
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AaronTheSnob » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:28 am

Yes, we are oversaturated with Targets. I would have preferred they put in either a PDQ or a Walgreen's. Either one would have filled a nice niche in Madison that's sorely missing.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:31 am

AaronTheSnob wrote:Yes, we are oversaturated with Targets. I would have preferred they put in either a PDQ or a Walgreen's. Either one would have filled a nice niche in Madison that's sorely missing.

Your snobbery is folding over itself, and I'm not sure I know exactly what you're contributing here. Are you saying that Target saturation is nothing compared to PDQ's or Walgreens', and critics should therefore lay off of Target? Or is the first statement genuine and the second statement facetious?

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:48 am

I have mixed feelings about it. It's certainly better than a hole in the ground, and it would be very convenient for me. I like Target more than your Shopkos or Walmarts. If it truly is a "green" development with underground parking, I could support it.

As for Macy's, I agree with another poster about never buying anything there unless it's on sale. Fortunately, they seem to have a sale every week or two. And each one is the biggest ever!

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:57 am

Steve Vokers wrote:Big box stores are evil. The empty hole in the ground is better than having a huge store there.

No, you're evil. The empty hole in the ground is better than having you there.

Steve Vokers
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Steve Vokers » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:21 pm

Ducatista wrote:
Steve Vokers wrote:Big box stores are evil. The empty hole in the ground is better than having a huge store there.

No, you're evil. The empty hole in the ground is better than having you there.

I guess sarcasm doesn't translate on the Internet. What I meant was:

[sarcasm]Big box stores are evil. The empty hole in the ground is better than having a huge store there.[/sarcasm]

I was poking fun at people who take a knee-jerk reaction to any kind of development. I live within walking distance of Hilldale, and would welcome having a Target there. It would save me the trouble of driving out to the far west location.

roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

Postby roadkill bill » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:23 pm

The place Target should have gone - and almost did, according to rumors - was the University Square development. While Hilldale is better than driving to the edge of town - which I will avoid at all costs - and I'm at Hilldale already on a semi-regular basis, U Sq would have been walking distance to all those desirable student shoppers.

Despite what some may believe, many students do not have access to a car. If they could walk to Target, every purchase for the apartment or dorm would be made there.

If there's one thing Target knows, it's marketing to 18-25 year olds.

They are also one of the few big box retailers that knows how to build in a true urban environment. Hilldale is only semi-urban, but I have hopes that they will be able to build something that at least uses the hillside to put in a multi-level store. At least partially bury the parking.

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:45 pm

So I wonder if they get Target to anchor in place of Whole Foods, will Freed also be building the other components of the previously proposed development like the hotel and mixed use retail/office/condo tower?

saltman
Forum Addict

Postby saltman » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:17 pm

roadkill bill wrote:Despite what some may believe, many students do not have access to a car. If they could walk to Target, every purchase for the apartment or dorm would be made there.

No, but they all have access to a bus pass included in their yearly fees and a pretty straight shot down Uni ave.

roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

Postby roadkill bill » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:54 pm

saltman wrote:
roadkill bill wrote:Despite what some may believe, many students do not have access to a car. If they could walk to Target, every purchase for the apartment or dorm would be made there.

No, but they all have access to a bus pass included in their yearly fees and a pretty straight shot down Uni ave.

Waiting for the bus on Saturday, when you've decided to buy a few things for your apartment, or on Sunday, to stock up on snacks and decorations for a Packers party, is less likely than to happen than walking over to U Sq.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:24 pm

Steve Vokers wrote:I guess sarcasm doesn't translate on the Internet.

No, no, it does. I wasn't 100% sure, though, and decided my response worked either way (with you or agin you).

I'd love a Target by Hilldale. Target in U Square would've been even better. Best of all would be a Target on the Brayton Lot site.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:26 pm

Copps should give up their University & Midvale location and concentrate on less saturated areas, especially after the new University Square grocer takes away biz. Whole Foods should move into the vacated Copps store and Target would do nicely next to Hilldale.

Bad Gradger
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bad Gradger » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:09 pm

Bwis53 wrote:Copps should give up their University & Midvale location and concentrate on less saturated areas, especially after the new University Square grocer takes away biz. Whole Foods should move into the vacated Copps store and Target would do nicely next to Hilldale.

If and when the U-Square grocery ever opens (I'm still skeptical) it'll mostly steal business from Cap Center and the tiny grocery aisles at the downtown Walgreenses. Students will still hop in the car with Mom to Copps or Woodman's when she's in town. Besides, Whole Foods vacating their location without a tenant lined up doesn't sound very sustainably organic.

Jazznews
Forum Addict

Postby Jazznews » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:28 pm

Why would students go to Target? There are much better places downtown within walking distance. For clothes they have Ragstock and other places. There's also Goodwill.

I wish Willy St. Co-op could have gone in the space at Hilldale. But I'm sure they probably couldn't afford to build a new building. I hope they do get another place.

Return to “Headlines”