Close Wiggies?

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
mlmaguire

Re: Close Wiggies?

Postby mlmaguire » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:12 pm

Walter wrote:
I think Wiggie's should have gone through a revocation process some time ago based on the incidents that have occurred there. I don't care if a County Supervisor owns it or that he's white. There have been serious incidents there and complaints from neighbors off and on for years. I don't know why action hasn't been taken but it's long overdue. It's possible the threat of revocation has been made and it cleared up problems for a while. Maybe there's a lack of will in the North District or political will on the part of the alder. Maybe there have been too many second chances given by different Captains over the years.

As someone that has been trying for more than two years to get something done about this place, I think I can sum it up as "all of the above". Your paragraph pretty much sums up everything that needs to be said about the situation. Thanks.

Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:44 am

Wiggie's to get security plan:

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/crime_and_courts/article_8c61a8ea-ec8d-11df-847c-001cc4c03286.html

Sorry, I don't know how to make that shorter and clickable.

c02
Forum Addict

Postby c02 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:21 am

@Walter - For future reference to make it shorter just type:

[url=http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/crime_and_courts/article_8c61a8ea-ec8d-11df-847c-001cc4c03286.html]Click Here[/url]

Add everything in Bold to any link and then enter the text to be clicked on (underlined).

HTH

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:24 pm

mlmaguire wrote:
supaunknown wrote:Open a bar in a shitty area and your client base is gonna reflect that.

As a homeowner living in said "shitty area" I gotta take a lot of offense at that comment. We may not have showstopping houses like Maple Bluff but we take pride in our neighborhood and take care of our homes. The only thing making our neighborhood a shitty area is that shitty bar, and the shitty people that come from other parts of the city, from out of town and from out of state and don't give a shit about the people that actually live there. Do you even know where the bar is located? Maybe you should check out the neighborhood across the bar before you judge. And I bet you rent.

Sorry for offending your neighborhood pride. I'm sure all the crime is caused by people coming from outside your area. :roll:
My wife & I own* a home in a tonyless neighborhood adjacent to yours.

*actually, the bank does until 2024

acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:56 pm

supaunknown wrote:
mlmaguire wrote:
supaunknown wrote:Open a bar in a shitty area and your client base is gonna reflect that.

As a homeowner living in said "shitty area" I gotta take a lot of offense at that comment. We may not have showstopping houses like Maple Bluff but we take pride in our neighborhood and take care of our homes. The only thing making our neighborhood a shitty area is that shitty bar, and the shitty people that come from other parts of the city, from out of town and from out of state and don't give a shit about the people that actually live there. Do you even know where the bar is located? Maybe you should check out the neighborhood across the bar before you judge. And I bet you rent.

Sorry for offending your neighborhood pride. I'm sure all the crime is caused by people coming from outside your area. :roll:

Yeah, until Walter's previous post regarding the moving of the trouble spots, I would have thought the same thing. But, it seems that the trouble crowd finds a home wherever the owners will put up with it. I looked up the address of the 49-year-old who was busted in what might be the last straw for Wiggie's, and his residence is located near Olbrich Park.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:44 pm

acereraser wrote:
supaunknown wrote:
mlmaguire wrote:As a homeowner living in said "shitty area" I gotta take a lot of offense at that comment. We may not have showstopping houses like Maple Bluff but we take pride in our neighborhood and take care of our homes. The only thing making our neighborhood a shitty area is that shitty bar, and the shitty people that come from other parts of the city, from out of town and from out of state and don't give a shit about the people that actually live there. Do you even know where the bar is located? Maybe you should check out the neighborhood across the bar before you judge. And I bet you rent.

Yeah, until Walter's previous post regarding the moving of the trouble spots, I would have thought the same thing. But, it seems that the trouble crowd finds a home wherever the owners will put up with it. I looked up the address of the 49-year-old who was busted in what might be the last straw for Wiggie's, and his residence is located near Olbrich Park.

OK. People do seem willing to travel to these ever-changing places to hang with folks of similarly sleezy ilk. Must be a lifestyle thing - get to where the action is. Beyond the booze and drugs, maybe there's excitement and anticipation of what stupid thing might happen next?

And I take back what I said before. The neighborhood itself is absolutely cherry. Only the finest people live there. No basements equals no criminals. I'm sure no one from within the neighborhood frequents Wiggie's.

mlmaguire

Postby mlmaguire » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:20 pm

supaunknown wrote: And I take back what I said before. The neighborhood itself is absolutely cherry. Only the finest people live there. No basements equals no criminals. I'm sure no one from within the neighborhood frequents Wiggie's.

Except for the part about the basement (which I don't understand and don't really want to, since everyone I know around here as one) you are now speaking reasonably. Thank you. :twisted:

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:03 pm

He means the houses are so cheap they don't have basements (which is also the case in my neighborhood so I get to write it without prejudice, since I think my neighborhood is great).

persia
Forum Addict

Postby persia » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:38 am

For a minute I thought this said close Wiggles and I was really afraid cuz my son loves the Wiggles. Now I know the gay one, Jeff, can be a bit much but fortunately he falls asleep a lot and that's ok. We saw the Wiggles in concert and really they were a lot like the TV show. In fact everything they played was from the TV show.

Speaking of the TV show, we're in the process of switching to Directv, partially because of the fact that Sprout is on Directv and the Wiggles are on Sprout. Ok, well the real reason we are switching is because of the $24 a month discount for the first year, but still it'll be good to see the Wiggles on TV again.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:13 am

On a side note, Wiggie's owner and County Supervisor David Wiganowsky told the Wisconsin State Journal he is considering running for county executive this coming spring.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:40 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:On a side note, Wiggie's owner and County Supervisor David Wiganowsky told the Wisconsin State Journal he is considering running for county executive this coming spring.

how many does that make now? i've heard everything from 3 to 36 or so. crowded, raucous primaries are always the best. so now we have dane county executive, milwaukee county executive, and mayor of chicago at the same time, and the madison mayoral race. 2011 is going to be a banner year. even better than 1997, perhaps.

Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:45 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:On a side note, Wiggie's owner and County Supervisor David Wiganowsky told the Wisconsin State Journal he is considering running for county executive this coming spring.

The only possible contribution Wiggie could make to the County Executive race is to make Nancy Mistele appear to be slightly less insane.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:50 am

CHIEF'S SECURITY PLAN FOR WIGGIE'S BAR

Howard Payne's blog is ... amazing.

Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:13 am

Howard is a friend but he needs an editor.

mlmaguire

Postby mlmaguire » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:03 am

The place was dark and empty well before 11pm. Very little traffic on Aberg, no booming stereos, no screeching cars in and out of the parking lot, no cars cruising my street. Quieter for an evening than I remember for a really long time. It felt weird, but in an awesome way. I got 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep on a Friday night in more than 2 months, then I wake up to see Howard Payne's report.

Even though it's cloudy and rainy outside, it feels warm and sunny over here in the Sherman neighborhood.

And I :D Howard Payne and his report.

Return to “Headlines”