Close Wiggies?

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Close Wiggies?

Postby bdog » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:04 am

Jealousy rears it's ugly head.

There have been a number of events occurring at 1901 Aberg Avenue (Wiggie’s Bar) relating to the quantity and scope of police calls that were thought to be problematic for residents of the neighborhood.

It doesn't get any better than that.

In "Contact" the woman sent to meet the aliens says "They should have sent a poet". I say they should have sent Howard Payne.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:41 pm

I love all the requirements the North District gave Wiggies before they can open again. They're pretty thoroughly cornered.

Long overdue, good work, and I hope the neighborhood enjoys some peace and quiet for a change.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:55 am

that is not a shitty neighbourhood. it is nice and the residents take a lot of pride in it, as they should. it is a lot like meadowood.

i still maintain that the trouble at wiggies, based on some field research i did last week and other cases, is at least 65 per cent caused by the travelling dingleberries and would go someplace else as a clump...i would be glad to discuss what they could do to disrupt this particular part of the problem with anyone here with an i.q. above 50 who did not come to i.d.p.f. with a thoroughgoingly shitty attitude to start fights just like the busted pop bottle brigade -- including whether or not trouble at bars is closer to a normal curve distribution or something else and how the travelling dingleberries are probably nearly identical racially and socio-economically to the county at large. back off man, i'm all things to all people, remember?

now, it is always helpful if they could add de-odourised tincture of opium (i.e. laudanum) and the like to the drinks like rice krispies does with the big m and denny's does with toot. giving someone a joint to keep them from belting someone else with a busted pop bottle is certainly like medical marijuana if u will. how about some chloral hydrate and/or paraldehyde, an intermediate-acting benzodiazepine, some promethazine, or mid-range sedative-hypnotic to folks who are acting up? knock them down and give them a numorphan suppository? of course u may have people who then come back every night for that reason...

...the cops are callin'
and some guy is fallin'
so it's high time to down
some miltown...

--beth nielsen-chapman
Last edited by gozer on Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:08 am

Assuming Walter's analysis is correct, where are the troublemakers most likely to go next?

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:33 pm

bdog wrote:Assuming Walter's analysis is correct, where are the troublemakers most likely to go next?

If it holds the pattern I remember from those halcyon days when I lived in Beloit, it will be determined by which tavern is doing poorly enough to be worried about closing its doors until the former Wiggie's patrons generate enough business to make them think they ought to tolerate or even encourage it to give them a few more months while they figure something out.

Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:09 pm

rabble wrote:If it holds the pattern I remember from those halcyon days when I lived in Beloit, it will be determined by which tavern is doing poorly enough to be worried about closing its doors until the former Wiggie's patrons generate enough business to make them think they ought to tolerate or even encourage it to give them a few more months while they figure something out.

Why don't you just cut to the chase and say Bennett's?

Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:27 pm

Average Joe wrote:
rabble wrote:If it holds the pattern I remember from those halcyon days when I lived in Beloit, it will be determined by which tavern is doing poorly enough to be worried about closing its doors until the former Wiggie's patrons generate enough business to make them think they ought to tolerate or even encourage it to give them a few more months while they figure something out.

Last night when Wiggie's closed before bartime, the Locker Room on Roth Street called and wanted extra patrol in their lot due to "overflow from Wiggie's" according to dispatch.

If I were going to guess, the next stop could be The Sports Pub or Frida's. Both are good size places with ample parking on site or nearby and we're going into the season of slow winter weekend nights. The deciding factor would be whether or not one of the local promoters gets in either place to whisper in the ear of the owners about how much money they can make by letting them host events.

We'll see how Segredo's goes since the bowling idea went belly up and how live music works there.

mlmaguire

Postby mlmaguire » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:11 pm

snoqueen wrote:I love all the requirements the North District gave Wiggies before they can open again. They're pretty thoroughly cornered.

Long overdue, good work, and I hope the neighborhood enjoys some peace and quiet for a change.

Thank you so much for saying that. I hope we can as well. I sure know that I REALLY enjoyed this weekend!! Never knew my neighborhood was so, peaceful, at night.

mlmaguire

Postby mlmaguire » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:23 pm

Walter wrote:
Average Joe wrote:

Last night when Wiggie's closed before bartime, the Locker Room on Roth Street called and wanted extra patrol in their lot due to "overflow from Wiggie's" according to dispatch.

If I were going to guess, the next stop could be The Sports Pub or Frida's. Both are good size places with ample parking on site or nearby and we're going into the season of slow winter weekend nights. The deciding factor would be whether or not one of the local promoters gets in either place to whisper in the ear of the owners about how much money they can make by letting them host events.

We'll see how Segredo's goes since the bowling idea went belly up and how live music works there.

Last night (Saturday) the place was closed BEFORE 7PM. My guess is he doesn't have anyone to work the evening anymore, even for a few hours. I can't say that I minded a bit. It was amazingly quiet. I'm taking it one weekend at a time, but hopin' this is a continuing trend... It's interesting to hear the reaction of the Locker Room. I have heard it was the "backup" when Wiggie's turned people away. If things start going "Wiggies" there I'll have no problem complaining to the city about it. It's not on my front stoop but it's close enough.

I have been wondering myself where the "traveling dingleberries" will show up next. Hopefully someplace where no one actually lives, so that they can take out their nonsense solely on each other. My guess is that we will all find out soon enough. I hope the owners of these places have more sense than Mr. Wiganowsky and just say "no thanks".

MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind75 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:12 am

They should just close Wiggies and turn it into an all night diner, or sell out and convert it into a Denny's.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Oscar Mayer has to have one of the largest 2nd shift/3rd shift work forces in Madison. Therefore a 24 hour diner on the block wouldn't ever be hurtin' for business. Oscar Mayer workers can't have hot dogs and lunchables every night, afterall.

floroq

Postby floroq » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:27 pm

As the owner of R Place on Park, I'm not advocating for the closing of Wiggie's or anyplace that is properly run. I just have a problem with all of the head in the sand conversation that seems to go along with privilege. If there was only one bar for every 7,000 people of European descent, then those 29 bars in Madison would probably experience a lot of the same issues. I wasn't going to comment on any of this but, Jennifer Zilavy's outrageous "damn lie" and the lack of fact checking in this weeks Madison.Gov column leads me to say enough is enough.

mlmaguire

Postby mlmaguire » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:21 pm

floroq wrote:As the owner of R Place on Park, I'm not advocating for the closing of Wiggie's or anyplace that is properly run. I just have a problem with all of the head in the sand conversation that seems to go along with privilege.

Please be clearer. Are you saying that a bar with the history of violence and crime that Wiggie's has demonstrated should not be penalized? As someone that had gunfire less than 50 feet from my doorfront (and with neighbors that had same gunfire less than 10 feet away) I would completely DISAGREE, if that is what indeed you are saying. I would also DISAGREE with the notion that this bar is '"properly run". If you have seen some of what I have seen, and know how often the owner has NOT been present during all the police calls, you might have a different attitude.

If, as a homeowner, I was allowing illegal activities to occur in my home that was endangering my neighbors and community, I have no doubt that I would be penalized. But if a business allows these things to happen, it's okay?

Any business that puts its neighbors in physical danger, and subjects them to the emotional stress that I (and my neighbors) have had to deal with, should be given zero more chances.

I have had two weekends where Wiggie's has been closed by 10pm or much earlier. I have had 8+ hours of uninterrupted sleep, no phone calls to 911 or non-emergency dispatch, no "cleaning of the empties" from my lawn, etc. for way longer than I care to remember. Do you see a correlation? Do you think this is a privilege?

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:24 pm

I feel for ya R-Place/Flowers, but maybe your head is in the sand too? What were you doing to discourage the blatant thuggery happening in/around your bar?

Slick Willy
Forum Addict

Postby Slick Willy » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:07 am

gozer wrote:that is not a shitty neighbourhood. it is nice and the residents take a lot of pride in it, as they should. it is a lot like meadowood.

i still maintain that the trouble at wiggies, based on some field research i did last week and other cases, is at least 65 per cent caused by the travelling dingleberries

The neighborhood directly neighboring Wiggie's may not be shitty, but but the Northport and Troy Dr areas are shitty, and those are the folks who are going there and causing problems, not 'traveling dingleberries'. Also, the Meadowood Neighborhood has some nice areas, but walk along Raymond Rd from Whitney Way down to S. Gammon Rd. or turn right off Raymond on to Prairie and go to Hammersley. Those areas suck too! In other words, there's high crime, it's dangerous, trashed out apartments and litter all over the place, which is just like the far north side.

I'm pretty ambivalent as to whether Wiggie's stays open or not. If it does get closed, the hood rats will just go down the street to The Locker Room, which might be a better run establishment since it doesn't seem to be getting all of the attention that Wiggie's is.

The idea of a diner there might actually work if there's security, especially at night. It's right next to Metro's North Transfer Point and the Greyhound buses also stop there now since the Madison depot closed, and those entities can bring some shady characters, not to mention the problem areas close by that I previously mentioned. I could see a place like that getting held up. On the positive, people waiting for the Greyhound would love to have a place to eat or just drink some coffee and kill time, and I could totally see Oscar Mayer employees going there.

MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind75 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:01 pm

Slick Willy wrote:The idea of a diner there might actually work if there's security, especially at night. It's right next to Metro's North Transfer Point and the Greyhound buses also stop there now since the Madison depot closed, and those entities can bring some shady characters, not to mention the problem areas close by that I previously mentioned. I could see a place like that getting held up. On the positive, people waiting for the Greyhound would love to have a place to eat or just drink some coffee and kill time, and I could totally see Oscar Mayer employees going there.

Eh, what's an all night diner without some level of shadiness.

Return to “Headlines”