CEOs – a reckoning

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

CEOs – a reckoning

Postby fennel » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:57 pm

A timely juxtaposition:

http://www.madison.com/wsj/mad/latest/442921

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/15/busin ... wanted=yes

From the NYT article: "Business schools have forgotten that they are a professional school."

Loosely translated to another profession but with equal coherence:
"Marine biology schools have forgotten that they are primary exponents of Zoroastrianism."

And later on:
"There are also calls to make management a profession like law or medicine, with a code of conduct, a certification examination and continuing education."

The grammar is a bit sloppy here, but I think the speaker means that those having a degree labelled as professional ought meet standards commonly considered to be professional – not simply business.
Last edited by fennel on Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Re: CEOs – a reckoning

Postby Bwis53 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:43 pm

I'd like to see some more prosecutions!

Too many took "Greed is good." and "He, who dies with the most toys, wins." seriously.

Some CEOs are as bad as thugs. Look at the way thugs do "business" and the way some companies do business (and they have advanced degrees!) Some educators, in the anti-gang meetings I used to attend, say, thugs are going corporate. I wish I could pull up that link, but after the stuff my CEO has been pulling, I'm beat.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:57 pm

Bwis53 wrote:Too many took "Greed is good." and "He, who dies with the most toys, wins." seriously.
Yes, but I think this has more to do with Higher Education's unexamined sanctioning of business practice generally ... which seemed to occur in tandem with huge influxes of money.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:16 pm

"There are also calls to make management a profession like law or medicine, with a code of conduct, a certification examination and continuing education."

Doesn't an MBA take care of that?

I'm not trying to denigrate higher education. Our financial crisis really makes young people and myself question the credibility of those telling us to be good little boys and girls.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:10 pm

Bwis53 wrote:"There are also calls to make management a profession like law or medicine, with a code of conduct, a certification examination and continuing education."
Doesn't an MBA take care of that?

Well, no. That's their point. I guess they see an M.B.A. as the equivalent of an occupational certificate. The process doesn't typically doesn't try to instill a code of conduct, or provide an education broad enough to allow the student to assess the profession's role in a broader context. The concepts of "shareholder value" or "bottom line" may be practical points of reference for day-to-day decisions, but there needs to be some kind of framework, or context, imparted to students that lets them imagine the real-world implications of what they do.
Bwis53 wrote:I'm not trying to denigrate higher education. Our financial crisis really makes young people and myself question the credibility of those telling us to be good little boys and girls.
I think this is more a case of Higher Education's embarrassing realization that they had given a pass when it came to accrediting business programs – at the same time that those programs spurred a huge influx of money. While the programs became much more analytical and technical, they perhaps didn't meet traditional criteria for being recognized as professional. They remained self-referential.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:41 pm

So MBA's have no Hippocratic Oath?

I hope some others put their two cents in.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:08 pm

I think up to now the code of conduct for MBAs from the first day has been to do whatever works to make the most possible money in the short term.

This is in contrast to CPAs (certified public accountants), who actually have professional standards to meet once they earn their certification. Membership in the American Institute of CPAs requires adherence to a code of professional conduct and members are subject to peer review. They have an active professional ethics commission.

I have known people who purposely did not pursue CPA status because it would have inhibited their ability to carry out certain business practices. They were bright, aggressive people who could have easily passed the CPA exam (not a piece of cake) but preferred to stay unencumbered by its attendant responsibilities.

If the MBA were more than a degree, if it had professional rights and responsibilities like the CPA or some other professional designations, it might mean more. George Bush had an MBA, for crying out loud. At this time an MBA has about as much ethical weight as a degree in fine arts -- maybe less. It's a degree, and in today's world anybody with the money can purchase a degree.

Return to “Headlines”