Cleaned-out renter speaks

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Cleaned-out renter speaks

Postby jjoyce » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:40 am

http://www.thedailypage.com/daily/artic ... icle=25265

Peterson says Eckes offered him $1,000 for his trouble. He's hired an attorney, David Sparer, who says his client is entitled to double damages and attorneys fees for violations of the state administrative code — for starters. There may also be triple damages for other violations, as well as punitive damages.

Bad Gradger
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Cleaned-out renter speaks

Postby Bad Gradger » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:13 pm

Eckes could have come out of this with just a four-figure claim against his liability insurance by offering Peterson replacement or fair market value for his possessions. Instead, in true Madison landlord fashion, he pulled a lowball number out of his ass and is now going to end up paying a lot more in damages and legal fees.

And to think it could have been avoided if the maintenance guy had used his brain for one second, and called to confirm the address.

Cases like this make me feel bad for Nancy Jensen at the Apartment Association. Her job would be easier if it weren't for her members.

Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:31 pm

Footnote: Hopefully the large check he will undoubtedly get will not feed too much more into his psychological delusions.

If all the stuff you own is garbage - how is anyone supposed to tell the difference between your apartment and a bunch of abandoned crap?

All kidding aside...

Having worked in a leasing office in the past, I am a little surprised that an operation with that many apartments doesn't follow the legal requirements that you keep all the crap you remove for up to 30 days.

I don't doubt it was an accident, but it doesn't even sound like they have policies in place with their staff to adhere to the typical legal eviction policy.

And if someone had walked into my leasing office with this story, I would have offered to help immediately - and told my manager to contact the lawyer ASAP for some advice - BEFORE we responded about what we planned to do to help him.

That said - I disagree with Bad Gradger. Even if Eckhart had responded what we consider to be appropriately and offered fair market value - this guy would still be entitled to the big check. Someone with as little means as this - in my experience managing apartments - would undoubtedly sue regardless. And it almost has to go to court, really. He could SAY he had just about anything - with many items missing - it would be impossible to prove unless he kept receipts.

As the payee - I would have an awful hard time shelling out for so-called "rare" numerology and astrology books. If I was paying triple for the Necronomicon - I'd certainly want to get a copy.

(OK so that was most kidding aside...)

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:58 pm

Bad Gradger wrote: in true Madison landlord fashion,

Lord knows Madison has 100% perfect dream tenants too.

Bad Gradger
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bad Gradger » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:37 pm

narcoleptish wrote:Lord knows Madison has 100% perfect dream tenants too.

I never said the relationship between shitheel landlords and shitheel tenants wasn't symbiotic, particularly downtown and near campus. But it's a fact that the big operators like Madison Property and Mrs. Mullins have a well-deserved reputation for nickel-and-diming their tenants. Hopefully the new website from Eli Judge & Co. can help with this.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:29 am

Agreed.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:56 am

As the payee - I would have an awful hard time shelling out for so-called "rare" numerology and astrology books. If I was paying triple for the Necronomicon - I'd certainly want to get a copy.

And as the guy who's shit was thrown out I'd say too fucking bad.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:55 pm

I believe this is why they invented punitive damages.

I say that not knowing if it's even possible to sue that way in a case like this. But seriously... it's stories like this that should be brought up any time the GOP wants to beat down trial lawyers or talk about tort reform.

Put yourself in this guy's shoes. There's the value of the stuff he lost, but there's also the cost of having to go through all the crap he had to deal with after it happened. In order to make it right, the landlord needs to bleed a little bit.

Renee Gabel
Forum Addict

Postby Renee Gabel » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:07 pm

:roll:
jjoyce wrote:I believe this is why they invented punitive damages.

I say that not knowing if it's even possible to sue that way in a case like this. But seriously... it's stories like this that should be brought up any time the GOP wants to beat down trial lawyers or talk about tort reform.

Put yourself in this guy's shoes. There's the value of the stuff he lost, but there's also the cost of having to go through all the crap he had to deal with after it happened. In order to make it right, the landlord needs to bleed a little bit.

Yea, a 36 year old single guy in a studio apartment on Hancock living out of boxes. His posters are gone! Oh the humanity. This poor schmuck must be in a world of hurt. He may never recover from this. Nail that landlord to the wall! :roll:

It sincerely sounds like the whole event was a mistake. Ed deserves compensation but making an example out of the landlord is unnecessary. Shit happens on the Isthmus. Time to pick up the pieces and move on.

A 36 year old with posters on the wall of his "dorm"....geesh!

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:12 pm

Yea, a 36 year old single guy in a studio apartment on Hancock living out of boxes. His posters are gone! Oh the humanity. This poor schmuck must be in a world of hurt. He may never recover from this. Nail that landlord to the wall! :roll:

It sincerely sounds like the whole event was a mistake. Ed deserves compensation but making an example out of the landlord is unnecessary. Shit happens on the Isthmus. Time to pick up the pieces and move on.

A 36 year old with posters on the wall of his "dorm"....geesh!

I don't think his choice of lifestyle has anything to do with it. The landlord screwed the fuck up. He has to pay for the damages. The courts will decide what's fair. Hopefully they don't treat him differently because of his posters.

Renee Gabel
Forum Addict

Postby Renee Gabel » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:22 pm

fisticuffs wrote:I don't think his choice of lifestyle has anything to do with it. The landlord screwed the fuck up. He has to pay for the damages. The courts will decide what's fair. Hopefully they don't treat him differently because of his posters.

The Landlord's maintenance man screwed the fuck up. Considering the lockbox is gone, I'm guessing he'll probably lose his job over this.

Hopefully Ed's "ascetic" lifestyle has led him to a spiritual level of forgiveness and compassion. We all make mistakes.

All due respect to ISTHMUS, but was it really necessary to share his (lack of) sex life with us?

Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:51 pm

fisticuffs wrote:I don't think his choice of lifestyle has anything to do with it. The landlord screwed the fuck up. He has to pay for the damages. The courts will decide what's fair. Hopefully they don't treat him differently because of his posters.

I'd be interested to hear how they price out items like this which clearly have no actual value - but must obviously have some amount of sentimental value - as sick or pathetic as that might seem to everyone else.

Does that just go into "damages"?

As far as his sex life or the other pathetic imagery used in the story - well, he agreed to open up his life to the public by discussing all the gory details with the Isthmus writer. I think it's how open he is being about this that makes the story so interesting. Maintenance staff for landlords make mistakes every day. That ain't news.

I doubt he is lying about most of it just by virtue of how embarrassing all the details are, but the $4000 in rare numerology books smacks of utter bullshit to me. Of course, I have little sympathy for idiot superstitions like that - so obviously that's just my opinion.

I hope he can afford some better stuff with the money for damages and penalties he will most likely end up getting. Maybe he will get some pity sex due to the story being published. Or, you know, he could just use numerology to predict who will have sex with him.

Renee Gabel
Forum Addict

Postby Renee Gabel » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:51 pm

The facts shared in the article paint a picture of an apartment that probably appeared as a vacant apartment. No bed or book shelves, just sleeping bags and boxes. If those rare books he picked up at Vinnies were so priceless, why were they left in boxes? No furniture was mentioned.

If Ed had lived like an adult, the maintenance man may not have mistaken his sanctuary as a vacated room. Just sayin, it sounds like an honest mistake and if he gets an outrageous settlement for this, it will only reflect in higher costs for everyone who lives in the downtown area.

It sounds to me like some people want this landlord to get nailed, not for this specific event but for other reasons (The GOP comment makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. :roll: ).

As fisticuffs said, I hope the courts treat this case fairly....on both sides.

seashells

Postby seashells » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:56 pm

Renee, that's so unfair. Regardless of whether the guy was a collector of fine antiques or lived with few possessions, this was his HOME. I would think, actually, that for someone with few possessions, those few would be even more meaningful. I really don't understand why you sneer at someone who lives in a studio apartment, eschews a more lavish lifestyle and has few possessions. He didn't seem to buy much, but he does seem to have bought the stuff that mattered to him. Then he came home and . . . it was gone.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:59 pm

If Ed had lived like an adult, the maintenance man may not have mistaken his sanctuary as a vacated room.

Since when are you the authority on how people "should" live. You really need to drop this line of reasoning. It doesn't matter if the guy slept on old empty cases of Lienies he has the same rights as someone in a condo full of Ikea.

Return to “Headlines”