An eye for an eye, literally

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
Talon Newsman
Forum Addict

Re: An eye for an eye, literally

Postby Talon Newsman » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:26 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:...the New Testament modernized many of the Old Testament teachings.

Calling a 2000-yr.-old. text "modernized" is the pinnacle of absurdity in the first place (not to mention the Koran is more modern by about 600 years...)

But as I also pointed out, you don't follow the New Testament teachings, either. So the $64,000 Question is: why do you identify yourself as Christian in the first place, Flanders?
You don't believe in loving your enemies, turning the other cheek, charity over greed, humility as a virtue, or any of Jesus' other central tenets. Instead, you advocate smiting your enemies, always retaliating, capitalism over need, and are constantly reminding everyone that your religion and country are #1! If there's a single Christian bone in your body, nobody on the Forum has ever seen even a hint of it.

Excuse me, but Ned's been masquerading as a Christian on this forum for the better part of a decade. Doesn't that earn him a little more respect than this around here?

Ned Flounders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flounders » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:51 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:The retrogrades have yet to experience a reformation.

Kind of amusing to hear a Catholic getting all nostalgic for the Reformation.

:lol:

On a related topic, if the DPF had existed in 17th-century Baghdad or Persia, one can easily imagine a Muslim version of Ned Flanders gleefully posting links to reports of all the atrocities committed by the "Christian peace-lovers" in their little Thirty Years' War. Funny how Catholics and Protestants, all theoretically followers of Jesus Christ, managed to kill off half the male population of Germany, while spreading famine, plague, and misery:

By the end of the war, thousands of villages were depopulated .... mass starvation took many lives, as did epidemics .... The German lands fell into a nether world of utter depravity where brutality, torture, rape, and even cannibalism became commonplace....

Muslims and Christians both claim that their religions are peaceful, but each faith's followers have soaked their nations in blood many times over. Hinduism and Buddhism aren't any better (see Sri Lanka today and the atrocities of the Japanese armies in China during WWII).

Of course, atheists have also slaughtered millions (see the USSR, China, the Khmer Rouge, etc.) as have shamanists (Genghis Khan). Even the Quakers have to atone for Richard Nixon.

Bottom line -- no religious belief nor unbelief has clean hands. This is one issue where everybody needs to get off their high horses.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:57 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:...the New Testament modernized many of the Old Testament teachings.

Calling a 2000-yr.-old. text "modernized" is the pinnacle of absurdity in the first place (not to mention the Koran is more modern by about 600 years...)

But as I also pointed out, you don't follow the New Testament teachings, either. So the $64,000 Question is: why do you identify yourself as Christian in the first place, Flanders?
You don't believe in loving your enemies, turning the other cheek, charity over greed, humility as a virtue, or any of Jesus' other central tenets. Instead, you advocate smiting your enemies, always retaliating, capitalism over need, and are constantly reminding everyone that your religion and country are #1! If there's a single Christian bone in your body, nobody on the Forum has ever seen even a hint of it.

I bet Mrs. Waggie would find some Christian bone a welcome relief from the atrophied athiest version you sport, sport.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:59 pm

I bet Mrs. Waggie would find some Christian bone a welcome relief from the atrophied athiest version you sport, sport.

Wow. Great comeback Ned. Right on topic. You really proved your point.

Ned Flounders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flounders » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:26 pm

fisticuffs wrote:Wow. Great comeback Ned. Right on topic. You really proved your point.

Flanders isn't about "proving points". He's not here to engage in debate, he's here to (a) spread GOP propaganda, and (b) annoy the liberals. He does a pretty good job at both.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:36 pm

Flanders isn't about "proving points". He's not here to engage in debate, he's here to (a) spread GOP propaganda, and (b) annoy the liberals. He does a pretty good job at both.

And Flounders is here to annoy Flanders. The Circle of Life.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:40 pm

fisticuffs wrote:

Wow. Great comeback Ned. Right on topic. You really proved your point.

Jesus would be proud, that's for sure. Nothing more Christian than comparing dick size, right? After all, he was hung up on that cross. (Am I the only one who imagines Jesus on the cross saying, "Seriously, it's this big!" Which reminds me of this hilarious bit of sacrilege: http://loltheist.com/wp-content/uploads ... usymca.jpg )

One question, though: if my shlong is the athiest, doesn't that mean it's athier than yours? Admittedly, it doesn't feel very athy at the moment, but maybe it's just athied out. (Seriously, man, you should at least be able to spell something if you're going to claim to be superior to it.)

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:18 pm

Ned Flounders wrote:Flanders isn't about "proving points". He's not here to engage in debate, he's here to (a) spread GOP propaganda, and (b) annoy the liberals. He does a pretty good job at both.

True on both counts, of course, especially since he has no debate skills to speak of.

He can spread as much propaganda as he likes, but no one (outside of his fellow neocons) is buying it. So that leaves (b) as his only success. Intentionally pissing off your fellow man-- how very Christian of you, Ned.

Btw, you do realize that Jesus was considered a left-leaning radical in his day, right?

Exploding Pinto
Forum Addict

Postby Exploding Pinto » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:22 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Two wrongs don't make a right.

It's a lesson Flanders seems incapable of learning (as evidenced most recently just this morning) but then, that's what separates us from the Flanders. That and our opposable thumbs.

Sure. Ultimately, I can't support it.

The victim argues for the punishment to be carried out not as revenge but as a precedent for the region--as a deterrent. And, if the ruling is carried out, let’s hope it does deter. Of course, laws against vitriolage vary country-by-country.

Ned Flounders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flounders » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:24 pm

fisticuffs wrote:And Flounders is here to annoy Flanders. The Circle of Life.

Or, as Augustus De Morgan said:
    "Great fleas have little fleas upon their backs to bite 'em,
    And little fleas have lesser fleas, and so ad infinitum.

Actually, De Morgan stole that from Jonathan Swift. Both Swift and De Morgan (a mathematician who formalized much of the basis for logical inductive reasoning) would be appalled by Flanders's loathsome combination of ignorance, self-assurance, malign motives, and intellectual dishonesty.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:29 pm

Both Swift and De Morgan (a mathematician who formalized much of the basis for logical inductive reasoning) would be appalled by Flanders's loathsome combination of ignorance, self-assurance, malign motives, and intellectual dishonesty.

Yeah but they were probably Liberal Elites so who gives a fuck what they think.

Ned Flounders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flounders » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:10 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Keep defending your retrograde heros with moronic attempts at proving a moral equivalency there Limpie.

I'm quite sure they wouldn't retun the favor.

What's funny about this is that, fundamentally, Flanders and this acid-throwing misogynist Muslim are on the same side.

They both hate women and gays. They're both hypocritically obsessed with controlling other peoples' sexuality. They both sneer at enlightenment concepts of civil liberties, secularism, and freedom of expression. They're both driven by a seething hatred for modern secular liberal society.

In the long run, I'm an optimist. I believe the historic trend is towards greater freedom and openness, secularism, equality ... basically, over time liberalism wins out over conservatism. Yes there are often setbacks (like the past eight years) but in the long run the world is irrevocably moving in the right direction. People like Flanders and the acid-throwing bigot are just on the wrong side of history.

Return to “Headlines”