Madiapolis?

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Madiapolis?

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:52 am

I realize that both cities are victims of brain-dead, lock-step leftism, mis-placed budget priorities, emasculated mayors, bad weather and Obama-fever. But is there something deeper going on here?

Norwegis envy?

The ability of Ned to link geographic locales through the time-space continuum?

An evil plot by Megabus?

Oops! Wisconsin website lays claim to Minneapolis view

MADISON, WIS.-- A new website for campaign finance information in Wisconsin includes the State Capitol in Madison in front of a striking skyline -- of Minneapolis.

http://www.startribune.com/local/368618 ... =KArksUUUU

cxl01
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Madiapolis?

Postby cxl01 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:28 am

They didn't post the link to the Wisconsin website in the article, so here it is: http://cfis.wi.gov/

My guess as to the origin of the error?

A. The media person gathering the clip art for the site thought they had Milwaukee.
    B. The media person gathering the clip art for the site thought nobody would notice.
    C. They out-sourced the IT work to a place far, far, away from both Madison and Minneapolis.
    D. All of the above.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:44 am

A firm in Connecticut is getting paid the princely sum of $1 million to build that site. It's amazing they got a skyline that's even geographically close to Madison.

$1 million is the real story, in my opinion. I know there are some developers on this board. Take a spin around that site and tell me how you get to $1 million.

And is ethics the reason they didn't go for a Wisco firm on this one?

JohnnyBlood

Postby JohnnyBlood » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:55 am

jjoyce wrote:And is ethics the reason they didn't go for a Wisco firm on this one?

I wondered the same thing.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:01 pm

jjoyce wrote:$1 million is the real story, in my opinion. I know there are some developers on this board. Take a spin around that site and tell me how you get to $1 million.

Exactly. I heard the alt.com site was produced for $10K and a case of anal lube.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:34 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:I heard the alt.com site was produced for $10K and a case of anal lube.

No, no - you're thinking of the annual operating budget of The O'Reilly Factor.

cxl01
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cxl01 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:44 pm

JohnnyBlood wrote:
jjoyce wrote:And is ethics the reason they didn't go for a Wisco firm on this one?

I wondered the same thing.

I don't think so. That might be good spin for them to reply with if they were asked the question. But to say the state chose a firm outside of Wisconsin to avoid a conflict of interest would only work if the state never did any business outside of Wisconsin. We know that just isn't true.

As for the cost? It doesn't take too much to get close to a million dollar price tag on an IT project for a large organization (government or private) when mandated changes, vague requirements, unrealistic deadlines, and budget constraints are involved.

Somebody thought they could save a buck out-sourcing. As with all state contracts they probably went for the lowest bidder. I'm sure the vendor promised them a magic bullet and their state bean counter thought they could look good keeping those "costly" state employees off the books. But in the long run, I think it would have been cheaper if the state had done it themselves using employees or on-site contractors.

The site isn't real impressive, and I wonder who maintains it. Do they pay the vendor extra for support, or does a state employee get left supporting an app they didn't develop?.

Granted, the site is only OK, but then they probably didn't want to pay even more to put up a whiz-bang site for a government compliance program they are mandated (i.e. no revenue is generated) to support.

harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby harrissimo » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:45 pm

This is just so sad.

dudemeister
Forum Addict

Postby dudemeister » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:11 pm

The bidding process for state contracts is pretty well regulated. No doubt there were Wisco bidders that didn't make the cut for one reason or another. You can make an open records request for the bids for that contract if you want and they'll give 'em to you.

What I find funny is that they haven't fixed it yet. Should take about 10 minutes. 20 if you want someone to run over to John Nolen and take a picture :)

cxl01
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cxl01 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:16 pm

dudemeister wrote:What I find funny is that they haven't fixed it yet. Should take about 10 minutes. 20 if you want someone to run over to John Nolen and take a picture :)

I'm sure the vendor is flying in a media team from Connecticut, as we speak. :)

Steven Van Haren

Postby Steven Van Haren » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:31 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:
jjoyce wrote:$1 million is the real story, in my opinion. I know there are some developers on this board. Take a spin around that site and tell me how you get to $1 million.

Exactly. I heard the alt.com site was produced for $10K and a case of anal lube.

Ok, that's just funny.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:03 pm

from the article:
The board said it's paying Bloomfield, Conn.-based PCC Technology Group about $1 million to develop the site as part of a new system for tracking campaign fundraising and spending.

jjoyce wrote:A firm in Connecticut is getting paid the princely sum of $1 million to build that site. It's amazing they got a skyline that's even geographically close to Madison.

$1 million is the real story, in my opinion. I know there are some developers on this board. Take a spin around that site and tell me how you get to $1 million.

A million freakin' dollars? For that took-no-effort-at-all website? Something's wrong in the state of Wisconnesota.

suit1: "Those farmers wanna know how much we'll charge to create their website."
suit2: "How long will it take our art department interns?"
suit1: "We estimate about seven."
suit2: "Monthes?"
suit1: "No, seven hours."
suit2: "Nice. Tell the hicks it'll be a million dollars."

cxl01
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cxl01 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:34 pm

supaunknown wrote:suit1: "Those farmers wanna know how much we'll charge to create their website."

It is a wienie web app, but it does have to be robust enough to persist to a database. And there are probably mandated requirements for auditing, like data retention and back up. Not to mention availability (24-7 or just business hours?).

That may take the "art department interns" a little more than 7 hours to design, develop, and test.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:38 pm

Hey, remember this?

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:51 pm

cxl01 wrote:
supaunknown wrote:suit1: "Those farmers wanna know how much we'll charge to create their website."

It is a wienie web app, but it does have to be robust enough to persist to a database. And there are probably mandated requirements for auditing, like data retention and back up. Not to mention availability (24-7 or just business hours?).

That may take the "art department interns" a little more than 7 hours to design, develop, and test.

And I was just being snarky and unrealistic. Sorry. Obviously my attempt at sarcasm didn't translate well for those that only speak binary language.

Return to “Headlines”