Doing my best to piss off the Religious Right

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Do you think the Christian Coalition applies Christian values or bigoted, hypocritical values?

Christian values
1
4%
Bigoted, hypocritical values
23
96%
 
Total votes: 24

True Blue
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 800
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2003 5:28 am

Doing my best to piss off the Religious Right

Postby True Blue » Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:48 am

Please do your part, today, to piss off the hypocrites of the Religious Right. I called and actually got through to the Christian Coalition President's voice mail box. Quoted a little scripture to her about condemning the splinter in her neighbor's eye when she has a log in her own. Told her it was wrong to fund a fight over a three-year-old girl.

I know, it won't change the world, but it felt good to give the hypocritical (or is that hyper-critical) bigots a taste of their own medicine.

Call today! :P

Story is at http://www.hillnews.com/news/031704/divorce.aspx
*** DETAILS OF THE CHRISTIAN COALITION'S THREAT TO MARRIAGE

According to a top newspaper serving the US Congress, "The Hill", the former Senate lobbyist and outreach coordinator of the Christian Coalition, and his wife, the organization's vice president for communications (who is also the daughter of the organization's president Roberta Combs), are in the middle of a "nasty divorce."

Today's "The Hill" reports that:

"The [divorce] proceeding involves Tracy Ammons, CCA's former Senate lobbyist and outreach coordinator, and Michele Combs, CCA vice president for communications and the daughter of CCA President Roberta Combs. Combs and Ammons were wed in December 1999, but their marriage soon disintegrated and was replaced with lawsuits, countersuits and even jail time over relatively small amounts of money that hinge on custody of their 3 1/2-year-old child."

The lawyer for the husband explained to "The Hill" quite clearly what is at stake in this nasty divorce:

"While the nation debates traditional marriage versus gay marriage, the president of the Christian Coalition, Roberta Combs, is encouraging and bankrolling a nasty, hardball divorce by her own daughter," said Jonathon Moseley, an attorney for Ammons. "I think that's probably the thing I find most offensive about the whole thing," he added. "It is rather traditional in divorces to go for total destruction; the divorce attorney's instinct is to go for the jugular, and that's unfortunate. But it's particularly offensive in this case, when it goes against everything the Christian Coalition is promoting."

*** PLEASE ACT NOW TO DEFEND THE SANCTITY OF MARRIAGE

Please contact the Christian Coalition immediately and tell them to stop making a mockery of marriage. As the Christian Coalition notes on their own Web site, defending marriage is one of the most important issues "in our lifetimes and for our families, children and grandchildren."

Please don't let our families, children and grandchildren down. Contact the Christian Coalition immediately and tell them to stop mocking this important institution.

CONTACT INFO:
General email address: coalition@cc.org
Main phone number: 202-479-6900
Fax: (202) 479-4260
[/quote]

blunt
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 8246
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2001 6:19 pm
Location: Right behind you.

Postby blunt » Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:23 pm

Christian values or bigoted, hypocritical values?

What's the difference?

True Blue
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 800
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2003 5:28 am

Postby True Blue » Mon Mar 22, 2004 2:05 pm

blunt wrote:Christian values or bigoted, hypocritical values?

What's the difference?

I was wondering how long it would take someone to make that point.

They're very different. Don't make the mistakeof confusing the message of the Religious Right for the message of J.C. Jesus was all about love, acceptance, tolerance and nonviolence. The Religious Right is all about using the faith as a cloak for their bigotry anf greed.

"Christians" are a pretty diverse lot. They (we) were involved in civil rights, anti-war, disarmament, anti-slavery, worker movements in our history. Today, the most apparent are the Rightists demagogues.

blunt
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 8246
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2001 6:19 pm
Location: Right behind you.

Postby blunt » Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:56 pm

True Blue wrote:
blunt wrote:Christian values or bigoted, hypocritical values?

What's the difference?

I was wondering how long it would take someone to make that point.

They're very different. Don't make the mistakeof confusing the message of the Religious Right for the message of J.C. Jesus was all about love, acceptance, tolerance and nonviolence. The Religious Right is all about using the faith as a cloak for their bigotry anf greed.

"Christians" are a pretty diverse lot. They (we) were involved in civil rights, anti-war, disarmament, anti-slavery, worker movements in our history. Today, the most apparent are the Rightists demagogues.



Actually, Jesus was a violent militant intent on overthrowing the corrupt Jewish leaderhip and forceably reinstating the Davidic kingship.
Jesus said ""Think not that I am come to send peace on earth; I came not to send peace, but a sword. "
The pacificst stuff and mystic material were all borrowed from Mithraic and earlier pagan ideas and added later to keep the people pacified.
One of the most glaring circular logic fallacies people indulge in is pointing to all the Old Testament prophecies that jesus apparently fulfilled. e.g., riding an ass into Jerusalem, etc.
Not only does the prophecy call the messiah Emmanuel, but Jesus knew the scriptures backwards and forwards, and was very clever---he staged every "prophecy."

And what about all the wonderful, nice, charitable, compassionate, loving people that aren't Christians?

Marge
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1328
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2003 12:57 pm
Location: Corporate Hellscape

Postby Marge » Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:03 pm

blunt wrote:Actually, Jesus was a violent militant intent on overthrowing the corrupt Jewish leaderhip and forceably reinstating the Davidic kingship.
Jesus said ""Think not that I am come to send peace on earth; I came not to send peace, but a sword. "...

True Blue wrote:Jesus was all about love, acceptance, tolerance and nonviolence.

Sigh...Who was Jesus? It depends on which gospel you believe. (or don't believe, I guess.) They all had a slightly different take on it.
If his 1st century disciples couldn't agree on just who Jesus was, then we're not gonna solve it here.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 6665
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2003 4:57 pm

Re: Doing my best to piss off the Religious Right

Postby pjbogart » Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:59 pm

True Blue wrote: Quoted a little scripture to her about condemning the splinter in her neighbor's eye when she has a log in her own.


I believe it was a "mote."

Jay Did
Senior Member
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2003 3:06 pm
Location: Madison

Postby Jay Did » Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:50 pm

So I was raised by a minister and his wife. I met a whole lot of Christians. I moved away and met a whole lot of non-christians. And it turns out people are people. There's the fire and brimstone christians and then there are those who really believe the unselfish "do unto others" thing. It makes me sad that people are so quick to say "all christians are evil, hypocritical idiots" when they are labeling and stereotyping in the very manner they disdain in the "hypocritical" christian. If you are a good person/christian or a good person/non-religious, are you any less of a person depending on whether you have faith in a god or not? Just because some people wearing crosses around their necks only perpetuate hate doesn't mean it's ok to hate them all. Believe it or not, there are some really well-educated, intelligent, kind people with faith who are nothing like the Ned's and GLY's and other's who cannot tolerate those different from themselves. Just wanted to share, since it seems so one extreme or the other out here.

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7487
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2003 11:44 pm

Postby white_rabbit » Tue Mar 23, 2004 4:13 pm

Jay Did wrote:Believe it or not, there are some really well-educated, intelligent, kind people with faith who are nothing like the Ned's and GLY's and other's who cannot tolerate those different from themselves. Just wanted to share, since it seems so one extreme or the other out here.


Not to jump to Ned's defense, but I wouldn't clump Ned with GLY. GLY was crazy and Ned is a blind partisan hack. I personally have not perceived Ned as being intolerant. Fair is fair.

Jay Did
Senior Member
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2003 3:06 pm
Location: Madison

Postby Jay Did » Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:07 pm

True enough in that regard. I was just trying to point out that not everyone is extreme or so adherent to one doctrine, and that there are good people that also happen to believe in God out there!

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7487
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2003 11:44 pm

Postby white_rabbit » Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:11 pm

Jay Did wrote:True enough in that regard. I was just trying to point out that not everyone is extreme or so adherent to one doctrine, and that there are good people that also happen to believe in God out there!


I agree, never a good idea to clump all together. I know some very sincere, loving Christian folks with whom I am friends. I also know a lot of zealots. I believe in God(as revealed by science), just not religion.


Return to “Headlines”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: HawkHead, Sandi and 5 guests