going up?.....gas prices, that is...

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
RockHopper
Forum Addict
Posts: 452
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:47 pm
Location: Exxon Worldwide Headquarters, Irving Texas
Contact:

Postby RockHopper » Tue May 01, 2007 3:38 pm

Fat.The.Gangster wrote:
RockHopper wrote: Or shall we consider the argument won by me?


Enjoy your annual Critical Mass ride with all the other self-righteous, myopic, douche-bags.

I am sorry you are taking this so hard. But the sad fact is that motorists are largely to blame for high gas prices.

I suspect the reason that people are taking this so hard is that they hold the automobile in unrealistically high esteem. Any attack on its value is an attack on their own psyche. So many people have invested so much in their automobile, that asking them to reconsider their lifestyle choices is a little like asking Bush to reconsider his policy on Iraq.

I never fell in love with the automobile - so I see it for what it really is: a tool that has its uses, and its drawbacks. It is easy for me to blame motorists for high gas prices because I have no emotional attachment to cars. I find driving so boring that I have to take stimulants in order to stay awake when I drive.

Yes, the oil companies are making huge profits because motorists are lazy. But hey, motorists are choosing to be lazy and the oil companies are only too willing to provide consumers with that luxury for the price they are getting.

Is this all annoying? Then stop relying so much on oil!

Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 10385
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2001 4:41 pm
Location: back atcha

Postby Chuck_Schick » Tue May 01, 2007 3:43 pm

RockHopper wrote:I suspect the reason that people are taking this so hard is that they hold the automobile in unrealistically high esteem.

Well, that's just one more broad brush stroke of inaccuracy for you, I guess.

I find cars to be a necessary annoyance. I'd much rather be piloting a solar-powered hovercraft, but the damn industry has been asleep at the motherfucking switch on that one.

I never fell in love with the automobile - so I see it for what it really is: a tool ...

Yeah, that's pretty much the conclusion everyone on this thread has reached about you too.

RockHopper
Forum Addict
Posts: 452
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:47 pm
Location: Exxon Worldwide Headquarters, Irving Texas
Contact:

Postby RockHopper » Tue May 01, 2007 3:55 pm

Fat.The.Gangster wrote:Show me that it is the motorists, and not any other variable responsible for the increase, and I will promise not to hit the first cyclist I see on my way home from work (work that I could not have found a few blocks away, or provided me the ability to telecommute).

Look, it is this easy:

There are always going to be temporary bottlenecks in the supply of gasoline.

The degree to which people have provided for some flexibility in their transportation usage determines how high gasoline prices go during that shortage. The more people able to forgo some gas usage, the smaller the price spike during the shortage.

Therefore, the magnitude of price spikes during shortages is primarily controlled by consumers.

It is your fault if you have not positioned yourself to allow for some transportation flexibility. It is your money you would be saving by doing so. It is in your interest to set up a lifestyle that provides this flexibility.

It is certainly not the fault of the first cyclist you see on your way home from work. If anything, they may be someone who has set up a more flexible transportation lifestyle, and are actually reducing the magnitide of price spikes and saving you money. Perhaps you should thank them!

lordofthecockrings
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1318
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:06 pm

Postby lordofthecockrings » Tue May 01, 2007 4:05 pm

RockHopper wrote:There are always going to be temporary bottlenecks in the supply of gasoline.

How is that the fault of motorists?

The Tolerator
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 847
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:16 pm

Postby The Tolerator » Tue May 01, 2007 4:12 pm

Chuck_Schick wrote:
RockHopper wrote:I suspect the reason that people are taking this so hard is that they hold the automobile in unrealistically high esteem.

Well, that's just one more broad brush stroke of inaccuracy for you, I guess.

I find cars to be a necessary annoyance. I'd much rather be piloting a solar-powered hovercraft, but the damn industry has been asleep at the motherfucking switch on that one.

I never fell in love with the automobile - so I see it for what it really is: a tool ...

Yeah, that's pretty much the conclusion everyone on this thread has reached about you too.


More personal attacks from Chuck.

Chuck, I'm thinking that you have a personality disorder. You really need help for that and to manage your anger more effectively.

RockHopper
Forum Addict
Posts: 452
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:47 pm
Location: Exxon Worldwide Headquarters, Irving Texas
Contact:

Postby RockHopper » Tue May 01, 2007 4:14 pm

lordofthecockrings wrote:
RockHopper wrote:There are always going to be temporary bottlenecks in the supply of gasoline.

How is that the fault of motorists?

Periodic shortages are a fact of life. They are going to happen. Either a motorist is prepared to deal with shortages or not. If they are not, it is their fault for not preparing. It is unrealistic to expect someone else to solve the problem.

As far as the long term shortages we are starting to face: These have been predicted for 35 years. That should have been plenty of time to prepare. If motorists have not prepared, it is their own fault.

Not preparing for shortages acts to increase the price of gasoline. Therefore, high prices are the fault of motorists.

Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 10385
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2001 4:41 pm
Location: back atcha

Postby Chuck_Schick » Tue May 01, 2007 4:15 pm

The Tolerator wrote:You really need help for that and to manage your anger more effectively.

This is how I manage my anger, you moronic fucking twat.

When I'm away from the forum I'm the friggin' Arc Angel of Happiness. Ask anybody.

RockHopper
Forum Addict
Posts: 452
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:47 pm
Location: Exxon Worldwide Headquarters, Irving Texas
Contact:

Postby RockHopper » Tue May 01, 2007 4:22 pm

Chuck_Schick wrote:
The Tolerator wrote:You really need help for that and to manage your anger more effectively.

This is how I manage my anger, you moronic fucking twat.

When I'm away from the forum I'm the friggin' Arc Angel of Happiness. Ask anybody.


I pretty much figured that out early on. Which is why (until now :D ), my messages have not been directed at Chuck.

Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 10385
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2001 4:41 pm
Location: back atcha

Postby Chuck_Schick » Tue May 01, 2007 4:28 pm

RockHopper wrote:I pretty much figured that out early on.

Way to miss the joke, jackass. Right on a level with your batting average though, I suppose.

I've said it countless times and I'll say it again: I post here only for my own amusement. If some of you find my shit funny, or annoying, or clever ... it's all the same to me. Give a fuck.

Nothing that transpires here ruffles my real-world feathers. I'm not losing any sleep over any of you dumb humps, trust me.

What's more, I'm far better balanced psychologically than the majority of my detractors here, as any clinical analysis would bear out. I don't expect those of you to whom this comment is directed to agree with me. Denial is just one of many symptoms of your sad psychosis.

Which is why (until now :D ), my messages have not been directed at Chuck.

Which has made watching you flail in the muck of your own logical morass none the less entertaining.

Thanks for helping kill another dull day, freak.

Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict
Posts: 361
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:05 pm
Location: Easy Street

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Tue May 01, 2007 4:30 pm

RockHopper wrote:Periodic shortages are a fact of life. They are going to happen. Either a motorist is prepared to deal with shortages or not. If they are not, it is their fault for not preparing. It is unrealistic to expect someone else to solve the problem.

As far as the long term shortages we are starting to face: These have been predicted for 35 years. That should have been plenty of time to prepare. If motorists have not prepared, it is their own fault.

Not preparing for shortages acts to increase the price of gasoline. Therefore, high prices are the fault of motorists.


This circular, sophmoric reasoning is making my head spin.

First, you state periodic shortages are a fact of life (without citing to any evidence). Then you state that shortages have been predicted for the past 35 years (again without evidence and now contradicting your first statement). Finally, you blame motorists for not being prepared for sporadic shortages that were somehow predicted 35 years ago and for which they are now unprepared. None of this makes sense. How do the motorists have anything to do with the shortages in the first place?

Indeed, throughout all of this garbage you remain unable to show how motorists have caused higher gasoline prices other than to state they were unprepared.

Please, do me and this forum a great service and take your junk hypothesis and shove it so far up your ass that it comes out of your mouth as an apology for making us waste our time reading this drivel.
Last edited by Fat.The.Gangster on Tue May 01, 2007 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 10385
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2001 4:41 pm
Location: back atcha

Postby Chuck_Schick » Tue May 01, 2007 4:33 pm

I think this doofus learned everything he "knows" about the scarcity of our natural resources from watching Americathon.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 8680
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:09 pm
Location: The mystical Far East
Contact:

Postby thebookpolice » Tue May 01, 2007 5:15 pm

Toll roads and/or privatization. That's your answer?

There's a picture developing in my mind...

God, it's on the tip of my brain...

Wait, it's coming to me!

Image

Yes!

lordofthecockrings
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1318
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:06 pm

Postby lordofthecockrings » Tue May 01, 2007 6:15 pm

RockHopper wrote:
lordofthecockrings wrote:
RockHopper wrote:There are always going to be temporary bottlenecks in the supply of gasoline.

How is that the fault of motorists?

Periodic shortages are a fact of life.

I concur.
How is that the fault of the motorists?

RockHopper
Forum Addict
Posts: 452
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:47 pm
Location: Exxon Worldwide Headquarters, Irving Texas
Contact:

Postby RockHopper » Tue May 01, 2007 7:39 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Toll roads and/or privatization. That's your answer?

There's a picture developing in my mind...

God, it's on the tip of my brain...

Wait, it's coming to me!

Image

Yes!


And that attitude about motorists paying their own way is exactly why they are at fault for high gas prices.

RockHopper
Forum Addict
Posts: 452
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:47 pm
Location: Exxon Worldwide Headquarters, Irving Texas
Contact:

Postby RockHopper » Tue May 01, 2007 7:50 pm

lordofthecockrings wrote:
RockHopper wrote:
lordofthecockrings wrote:
RockHopper wrote:There are always going to be temporary bottlenecks in the supply of gasoline.

How is that the fault of motorists?

Periodic shortages are a fact of life.

I concur.
How is that the fault of the motorists?

Those events are largely uncontrollable as to when they will occur - that they will occur is certain. Motorists are at fault because of their inflexibility when it comes to dealing with shortages. The amount of price increase is directly tied to motorist willingness to use alternatives to SOV SUV commuting.

It is kind of like seeing a slow-motion punch coming your way, and insisting on walking right into the punch without altering your course. At some point the person getting punched has an obligation to get out of the way.

The supply deficit over the last two shortages have been in the neighborhood of 5%. If motorists in that situation were willing to carpool once every two weeks, the shortage would be balanced by a reduction in consumption - and the price would not go up. Unfortunately too many motorists are too selfish to consider carpooling once every two weeks during a shortage. This is why I say the price spikes are the fault of motorists.

Yet, I predict another round of pointless congressional inquiries this year that result again in finding no wrongdoing by the oil companies. It is time to place the blame where it belongs, and that is on inflexible motorists.


Return to “Headlines”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests