Religious Extremism?

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
The Tolerator
Forum God/Goddess

Religious Extremism?

Postby The Tolerator » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:17 am

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070321/ap_ ... 4.jzcDW7oF

Mennonites in Missouri plan to move to Arkansas to avoid having their phots taken for their driver's licenses.

I am really curious to know what members of this forum think about the issue.

Do they need to be understood?

Should they be able to claim it is against their religion to avoid having photo taken?

Does Mo. need to have sensitivity training?

Because they are a Christian sect, they have no rights?

If they were Muslims making the claim, would it be more acceptable?

Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:39 am

You need a license to drive in Arkansas?

Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:39 am

No one is forcing them to get a driver's license.

They don't have to drive if they aren't willing to comply with the requirements necessary for getting a license.

Or they can move states. Who cares.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:43 am

Beer Moon wrote:No one is forcing them to get a driver's license.

They don't have to drive if they aren't willing to comply with the requirements necessary for getting a license.
Exactly - driving isn't a right, it's a privelege granted by the state.

Besides, anyone idiotic enough to believe that a photograph is equivalent to the Biblical "graven image" deserves to be treated differently. They should be forced to ride the short bus.

Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:33 am

They should change their name to "Moronites."

Arkansas isn't a distant enough locale for these jackasses.

Deitrich
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Deitrich » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:39 am

Well duh.... Everyone knows the camera captures your soul once your picture's taken.

Do they also have little plastic dashboard Jesuses?

Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:57 am

Wow, what a display of religious tolerance in this thread. Or not... :roll:

They are trying to live according to their beliefs. You don't have to agree with those beliefs, and in fact they aren't asking you to.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:01 pm

So what does a Mennonite's Arkansas driver's license look like? Just a blank space where the picture normally goes or maybe a pencil stetch of the license holder?

Just curious.

Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:19 pm

Michael Patrick wrote:You don't have to agree with those beliefs, and in fact they aren't asking you to.

No, they're just expecting a state to bend to their will at a time when states and municipalities countrywide are demanding that every voter have a photo ID as proof of citizenship.

But I guess it's okay to apply that standard when you goal is weeding out the spic vote, huh?

p.s. Last I checked, The First Amendment granted me the right to state my opinion of other people's beliefs, just as many would decry my atheism. Or has Bush killed that one already?

harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby harrissimo » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:23 pm

Would Jesus have his picture on his drivers License?

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:30 pm

harrissimo wrote:Would Jesus have his picture on his drivers License?

More importantly - would his money say 'In Me We Trust' on it?

Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:43 pm

Chuck_Schick wrote: No, they're just expecting a state to bend to their will at a time when states and municipalities countrywide are demanding that every voter have a photo ID as proof of citizenship.

Um, no. They aren't trying to bend the state to their will. Quite the contrary, as filing lawsuits is also contrary to their beliefs. Guess you didn't actually, like, read the article, or you would have seen this paragraph:

"We want to respect our government. We're not trying to fight them. But we still have our beliefs," said Ervin Kropf, a bearded, overall-wearing grocer whose market draws customers from miles around for the fresh milk, brown eggs and spices supplied by his fellow Mennonites.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:06 pm

the article wrote:Many Mennonites in Missouri find that acceptable and plan to stay put. But "there are a bunch of us who don't want to do that," Kropf said.

If some do, but some don't, then it's a matter of taste/preference, and the state shouldn't be expected to accomodate every variation in taste or preference.

I may not like driver's licenses with any colorful writing on it, but I doubt the state will issue me a black-and-white one just because me and a small number of people who agree with me raise a case.*

Dem's de breaks, kids. Gonna have to live with it.

*hypothetical. now watch Tolerator say that I'm racist because I used an example in which I don't want text with color.

cattyr
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cattyr » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:03 pm

I haven't worked out the details in my mind yet, but if they were willing to have their religion noted on the license, maybe a secondary form of I.D. (such as a SS card?) could be required to validate identity?

(Edited to add: some kind of biotech thing? Fingerprint? I dunno. Like Ned, I'm just the big idea guy.)

What a drag to think they will never experience a different country. Perhaps this will be a catalyst for people to examine the tenets of the faith and see if it's time for a theological update.

I for one will not dismiss them out of hand for adhering to their beliefs. Even if I think it's dumb, I don't think I'm in a position to judge.

Edited one more time to add I'll bet a lot/most of Mennonites don't believe the graven image thing, but maybe some of the older ones actually do. I know, not very analytical but we can't all be Chuck and Wags, who would there be to pick on?

Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:39 pm

Michael Patrick wrote:Um, no. They aren't trying to bend the state to their will. Quite the contrary, as filing lawsuits is also contrary to their beliefs. Guess you didn't actually, like, read the article, or you would have seen this paragraph:

Actually, I, like, did.

I guess crying to the media for attention isn't against their religious doctrine, huh?

Don't get me wrong, MP. I don't have a problem with the Mennonites, fer fuck's sake. They do a lot of good work (as does the Salvation Army--yet I reserve the right to criticize those facets of the Catholic Church I find to be idiotic or reprehensible--get it?). I just find this sort of shit to be really fucking silly and not in the least newsworthy.

I also think this sort of reporting reflects badly on the majority by focusing on the goofball whims of the few. You do realize not all Mennonites share identical mores, right?

Return to “Headlines”