Fire all 93 US Attorneys? Are they nuts?

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
Forum Addict

Fire all 93 US Attorneys? Are they nuts?

Postby goofticket » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:34 am

The WP reported that Harriet Miers, the Bush Supreme nominee now unemployed wanted to fire all 93 person US Attorneys.

I doubt if all 93 were is some misconduct, or even one of them were.

History does show that many nations often replace the judiciary, just before overthrowing the government.

I doubt is the Bush morons were thinking of that, but all 93 US attorneys?

That is pushing it.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:04 pm

Were you frightened when Bubba fired all 93 U.S. Attornys?

"She was not in charge from the beginning. Upon taking office, in an unexplained departure from the practice of recent Administrations, Miss Reno suddenly fired all 93 U.S. attorneys. She said the decision had been made in conjunction with the White House. Translation: The President ordered it." ... i_21123146

Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:11 pm

You're missing the point of this scandal.

It's actually not uncommon to have massive attorney turnover at the beginning of an administration (as Ned has already pointed out).

What's unprecedented is the clearly partisan political purpose of these purges - as the e-mail documentation forced out of the AG's office indisputably shows.

What's also indisputable is that as this story emerged all the Republican principals involved first vehemently denied actions they took, then conceded that they took them. Some of these statements came in the form of testimony to congress.

It's not completely clear which, or even whether, laws were broken in all this. Clearly there's been some ethics violations, however - so some people will definitely lose their jobs, if not do actual jail time.

As is becoming the pattern with the Bush administration - however unseemly the initial action was, it's the attendant cover-up that is the real scandal. The contempt that this administration has for transparency and oversight rivals - indeed, may surpass - that of the Nixon presidency.

Talon Newsman
Forum Addict

Postby Talon Newsman » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:27 pm

All I can say is, thank Judeo-Christian God that when Clinton's penis fired all those U.S. Attorneys, there were some checks and balances in place, and Congress got to confirm the new appointees.

And now that our national nightmare is over, and President Bush has taken back the White House for all decent folk, I thank that same Judeo-Christian God that the Patriot Act allows W. to appoint those attorneys without the Dems in Congress meddling in the appointment process.

Forum God/Goddess

Postby AlphaLiberal » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:04 pm

I love the symmetry of it all.

People who are incompetent but loyal to Bush get praise, medals and lucre.

People who are competent but not willing to put loyalty to party over loyalty to country and ethics: fired.

And, dig this delicious post: ... s_due.html

Forum Addict

Postby goofticket » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:54 pm

As of Wed 3/21 it's subpoena time.

Karl & Harriet come on down, you're the next contestants on Fess Up.

Forum God/Goddess

Postby Deitrich » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:42 am

Subpoena power is in da house.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:49 am

Return to “Headlines”