Enemies Among Us

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Enemies Among Us

Postby jman111 » Wed May 12, 2010 9:45 am

I sense tension....

Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Wed May 12, 2010 3:24 pm

Calmer than you are, Dude.

Uncle Fester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle Fester » Thu May 13, 2010 12:16 am

Leaver:

You're really wowing everyone with your Internet tough guy, "I have Tourettes and I'm off my medication" routine. Please carry on.

As for your defense of Islamic intolerance, it's history of violence, threats, suppression, persecution of women, gays, cartoonists, filmmakers, aide workers, old lady school teachers, and anyone else who doesn't bow and scrape before its particular brand of insane religious totalitarianism, feel free to go fark yourself.

And no, not each and every Muslim is a slobbering violent nutball, but when poll numbers show percentages in the 50-70% range in support of behaviors like suicide bombings, your defenses start to sound like those who argue the Nazis weren't all bad because they made the trains run on time and a lot of them were really nice guys.

Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Thu May 13, 2010 12:20 am

Uncle Fester wrote:poll numbers show percentages in the 50-70% range in support of behaviors like suicide bombings

Oh? Do tell.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu May 13, 2010 8:40 am

Uncle Fester wrote:Nazis

Godwin's Law

Uncle Fester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle Fester » Thu May 13, 2010 8:57 pm

Bland wrote:
Uncle Fester wrote:poll numbers show percentages in the 50-70% range in support of behaviors like suicide bombings

Oh? Do tell.

From a 2006 Pew Research Poll:

Percentage of younger (18-30) Muslims who believe suicide attacks against civilian targets are justified:

26 percent - American Muslims
22 percent - Germany
29 percent - Spain
35 percent - Britain
42 percent - France

From a 2005 Pew Research Poll:

Percentage of all Muslims who believe suicide attacks against civilian targets can be justified

88 percent - Jordan
58 percent - Lebanon
44 percent - Pakistan
33 percent - Indonesia

etc.

Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Fri May 14, 2010 3:55 am

Well, that clinches it. You've got poll numbers and.....oh wait....you just pulled that shit out of your ass didn't ya?
Uncle Fester wrote:From a 2006 Pew Research Poll

Since you didn't link to it, I will
Very few Muslim Americans – just 1% – say that suicide bombings against civilian targets are often justified to defend
Islam; an additional 7% say suicide bombings are sometimes justified in these circumstances. In Western Europe, higher percentages of Muslims in Great Britain, France and Spain said that suicide bombings in the defense of Islam are often or sometimes justified.

Views about terrorism are broadly shared by all segments of the Muslim American population, but the polling does find pockets of support for extremism. Overall, just 5% of Muslim Americans express even somewhat favorable opinions of al Qaeda. Yet strong hostility toward al Qaeda varies widely – 63% of foreign-born U.S. Muslims say they have a very unfavorable opinion of al Qaeda, compared with 51% of all native-born Muslims, and just 36% of African American Muslims.

Page 11 shows that 61% of U.S. Muslims were "very or somewhat" concerned about the rise of Islamic extremism. 83% thought that suicide bombing could be justified "rarely/never."
The next page shows that only 15% (not 26% as you claimed) of 18-29 yr.old U.S. Muslims believed suicide bombings to be justified, and only 6% of those older than 30 did.
And so on.

There are admittedly some disturbing/damning numbers in those polls too, but I can find no basis for your above claims. Pretty sure you just made those numbers up. But then I usually assume that when someone thinks unlinked poll numbers are somehow convincing.

Uncle Fester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle Fester » Sat May 15, 2010 12:06 am

Bland wrote:Well, that clinches it. You've got poll numbers and.....oh wait....you just pulled that shit out of your ass didn't ya?
There are admittedly some disturbing/damning numbers in those polls too, but I can find no basis for your above claims. Pretty sure you just made those numbers up.

"The survey found 26 percent of younger Muslims believed suicide bombings are often, sometimes or rarely justified"

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN2244293620070522

26 percent - American Muslims
22 percent - Germany
29 percent - Spain
35 percent - Britain
42 percent - France

From a 2005 Pew Research Poll:
http://pewresearch.org/pubs/26/where-te ... slim-world

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:38 am

No, it wasn't sewer gas...

Illinois: Man Charged in Explosives Plot

A man accused of placing a backpack near Wrigley Field that he thought contained explosives also talked about poisoning Lake Michigan, bombing a skyscraper and assassinating Mayor Richard M. Daley of Chicago, a federal complaint filed Monday said. The man, Sami Samir Hassoun, 22, a Lebanese citizen living in Chicago, is charged with one count of attempted use of a weapon of mass destruction and one count of attempted use of an explosive device, the F.B.I. said. Mr. Hassoun was arrested Sunday after planting the fake explosive device, which was given to him by an undercover agent, the F.B.I. said. Asked how he intended to carry out various attacks, Mr. Hassoun responded, “You park the car and let it go ‘boom,’ ” the complaint said.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/21/us/21 ... N_BRF.html

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:44 am

"The survey found 26 percent of younger Muslims believed suicide bombings are often, sometimes or rarely justified"

How in the name of all intellectual honesty do you lump "Rarely" in with"Often"?

scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:17 am

Ned Flanders wrote:A man accused of placing a backpack near Wrigley Field that he thought contained explosives also talked about poisoning Lake Michigan, bombing a skyscraper and assassinating Mayor Richard M. Daley of Chicago

Glad to see you passed up an opportunity to endorse assassinating Daley, a known Democrat, Ned. You are the very soul of discretion.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:32 am

scratch wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:A man accused of placing a backpack near Wrigley Field that he thought contained explosives also talked about poisoning Lake Michigan, bombing a skyscraper and assassinating Mayor Richard M. Daley of Chicago

Glad to see you passed up an opportunity to endorse assassinating Daley, a known Democrat, Ned. You are the very soul of discretion.

I didn't know the brain dead could be killed. Do tell.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:14 pm

I didn't know the brain dead could be killed. Do tell.

Daley has a Doctorate from DePaul. Ned's only got an honor degree from Glenn Beck U.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:41 pm

Too bad the FBI couldn't have used these same tactics to stop Timothy James McVeigh.

Oh, but he wasn't a Muslim so you could give a shit, huh.

Where is your post every year to highlight that tragedy Ned?

Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:36 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
Where is your post every year to highlight that tragedy Ned?

Ned prefers to honor a different domestic terrorist on that day, David Koresch.

Return to “Headlines”