Attack of the Clone Burgers

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

The FDA has recently approved the sale of meat from cloned animals. Would you eat it?

Yes, cloned meat is the same as the other stuff. Get over it.
46%
No, the idea of cloned meat is just plain icky.
18%
I don't eat meat, so I don't care.
No votes
I don't eat meat, but I still think this is a sick idea.
4%
I approve of the idea, but I think all cloned food products should be so labeled so that consumers can choose wisely.
32%

Total votes: 28

Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Attack of the Clone Burgers

Postby Chuck_Schick » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:27 pm

I contend that people who object to this notion don't understand the science of cloning and that, if they're so squeamish about this notion, they probably shouldn't be eating meat in the first place.

Anyone care to try to "set me straight?"

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:59 pm

I'd eat it.

People who are squeamish at all, and saw where most meat comes from, probably wouldn't/shouldn't eat meat.

Drinking regular mass-produced milk is the thing I'm starting to have second thoughts about, but I just can't shell out the extra $ for organic. Not yet at least.

lysander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lysander » Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:04 pm

I don't personally have a problem with cloned meat. Genetically modified meat might be a different story.

Keep in mind, most people are opposed to irradiated food, fer cryeye.

And yeah, factory farmed milk or anything else is starting to raise my eyebrows. You know those California Cows commercials, with the fields and stuff? That's not what it looks like at all...

pothead
Forum Addict

Re: Attack of the Clone Burgers

Postby pothead » Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:20 pm

Chuck_Schick wrote:

Why do you want to be straight? Not that there is anything wrong with that.

XOXOX

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Attack of the Clone Burgers

Postby gargantua » Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:41 pm

Chuck_Schick wrote:I contend that people who object to this notion don't understand the science of cloning and that, if they're so squeamish about this notion, they probably shouldn't be eating meat in the first place.

I don't object to this notion, but I would like to be able to make an informed choice. I don't pretend to understand the science of cloning, but I remember reading that cloned sheep had a higher mortality rate or something. It's been awhile, so I don't remember exactly what the problem was, but it left me with the impression that clones weren't perfect copies. So I'm in the camp that is willing to let other people try it. If they don't die a horrible gruesome death like in a sci-fi thriller after a few years, then sure, count me in.

tibor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby tibor » Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:43 pm

In general, I'm not crazy about consuming anything that doesn't have a long, proven track record if I don't have to.

Cloned animals are probably just fine. But there's research that they aren't just like other animals. Again, it's probably nothing, but if I don't have to eat it, I wouldn't.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:58 pm

I guess I'm confused as to why we need cloned meat. I had a really tasty ribeye, and I want to clone that particular cow so that I can have that same tasty ribeye every time I have a tasty ribeye? Do we clone meat so that we can do away with bulls? What of the veal industry?

On top of that, call me paranoid, but there are some things we simply don't understand. Chaos and all that.

Oprah
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Oprah » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:08 pm

I do not like cloned eggs and ham.
I do not like them, Sam-I-Am.

Grubendol

Postby Grubendol » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:13 pm

lysander wrote:Keep in mind, most people are opposed to irradiated food, fer cryeye.

There's a good reason to have a problem with irradiated meat, unless you don't mind eating shit.

Since irradiation is cheaper, meatpackers can and do skimp on older procedures intended to keep the meat free of pathogens. They can do so because irradiation kills microorganisms at a faster rate than typical clean-handling procedures. Unfortunately, with those gone, what you wind up with is shitty meat.

Sure, the bugs in the shit on your meat are irradiated and dead, and aren't going to give you dysentery or anything, but sterile shit is still shit. I''d rather not eat that.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:23 pm

tibor wrote:In general, I'm not crazy about consuming anything that doesn't have a long, proven track record if I don't have to.
You must not eat very much, what with virtually every food ever consumed by mankind having a long, proven track record of carrying disease and causing illness and death.

The food supply is on the list of those things MOST likely to cause you harm, doncha know, but regardless, if you lived anywhere (or, anywhen) that didn't have steady, reliable access to food, you'd never even think twice about where your nourishment came from. Only fattened, over-fed fools like those born and raised in America are snotty enough to condemn some sources of food as unworthy of consumption. Try starvation sometime and then tell me how much you distrust the idea of cloned meat or GM crops.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:27 pm

"Notices" posted on food (such as the ones discussed here) only serve to feed (if you will) the fears of the easily-spooked. Many of the commenters who expressed trepidation here are not as kneejerk as many in, say, the media. "Frankenfoods" is the worst example of the media perpetuating a false truth. Yes, it rolls off the tongue. No, it's not entirely accurate.

The fifth option in the poll is erroneous because such a notice would not serve to enable wise choices. It would enable pitchforks and torches in the streets, wielded by those with less than discerning intellects.

massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:32 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Only fattened, over-fed fools like those born and raised in America are snotty enough to condemn some sources of food as unworthy of consumption.

I hear ya, Waggles, but what about when some of those sources of food (thinking Big Macs and the ubiquitous corn sugars) may be at the root of why we're all so fattened? I wouldn't expect a starving person to turn up their noses at a snickers bar, but with such a variety of choices of things to eat in this country, many of them bad choices, what is wrong with being a little picky regarding what goes in your body?

jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:39 pm

what disgusts me isn't cloned meat, but the fact that fundies don't object to it like they do cloning that can actually HELP people!
Fuckin A!
I just found out that there's a way replace the missing cartilidge in my knee, the only rub is that since it involves cloning my condracytes it's being done in the UK but not in the US.
They can clone a burger but not my cartilidge?

I never thought in my life that the USA, the world's leader in science, would on day reject it due to religious fundamentalism.

tibor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby tibor » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:49 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
tibor wrote:In general, I'm not crazy about consuming anything that doesn't have a long, proven track record if I don't have to.
You must not eat very much, what with virtually every food ever consumed by mankind having a long, proven track record of carrying disease and causing illness and death.

The food supply is on the list of those things MOST likely to cause you harm,

Sorry if that wasn't clear, professor. I should have said if the preparation method doesn't have a long, proven track record. Perhaps you think that Monsanto will put your long-range health above their short-term profits. That's a faith I lack.

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:40 pm

jammybastard wrote:what disgusts me isn't cloned meat, but the fact that fundies don't object to it like they do cloning that can actually HELP people!
Fuckin A!

Because the bible says man will have dominion over all the animals on Earth. When you start fucking with humans, it's man having dominion over God. That's their thought process, anyway.

I can understand cloning to help revive dying species, like certain types of fish. But is cloning really more cost effective, efficient and easier than good ol' animal husbandry in regards to animals like cows, pigs, chickens and sheep?

Return to “Headlines”