Tues. Sep. 19th is Talk Like a Pirate Day

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Be ye talkin' like a pirate on Tuedsay?

Aye
100%
Not for the life 'a me darlin'
No votes

Total votes: 8

Genie
Forum God/Goddess

Tues. Sep. 19th is Talk Like a Pirate Day

Postby Genie » Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:49 am

September 19th is Talk Like a Pirate Day

[quote]How To Talk Like A Pirate
2 days to go, me hearties!

How To Be Speakin' Pirate-Like

Startin' Rules
* Double up on all your adjectives and you'll be bountifully bombastic with your phrasing. Pirates never speak of "a big ship", they call it a "great, grand ship!" They never say never, they say "No nay ne'er!"

* Drop all your "g"'s when you speak and you'll get words like "rowin'", "sailin'" and "fightin'". Dropping all of your "v"'s will get you words like "ne'er", "e'er" and "o'er".

* Instead of saying "I am", sailors say, "I be". Instead of saying "You are", sailors say, "You be". Instead of saying, "They are", sailors say, "They be". Ne'er speak in anythin' but the present tense!

Hints an' Tips
[color=brown]If it be helpin', start yer sentence wi' a "Arr, me hearty," in a deep, throaty voice ââ?‰?Â

Stampy

Postby Stampy » Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:04 pm

Apparently Sun. Sept. 17th was International "Stupid Post" Day.

Congratulations, you won.

BobArctor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby BobArctor » Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:07 pm

I be gettin' a idear we been here before.

Genie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Genie » Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:04 pm

Stampy wrote:Apparently Sun. Sept. 17th was International "Stupid Post" Day.

Congratulations, you won.

Hey thanatos/kvasir/leeming/norwegian mafia - I thought you said they kicked you off of here! ARRRGHHH! Ye be gettin' in trouble ye be!

Oprah
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Oprah » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:57 pm

I'm passing on the Pirate talk thing. I never was a Pirate fan. First, I cannot stand Sister Sledge and "We Are Family." Second, what was with those uniforms. I mean between the black, yellow, and white base color options and the pinstripes/non-pinstripes options applied to the jerseys, pants, hats, and socks--either all one color or mix-and-match (e.g., black jersey, black pants, black hat, black socks with the former and yellow jersey, black pants, white pinstriped hat, and yellow socks with the latter)--you had about 1,563 different combinations, or something like that. And I have three words (albeit hyphenated) for Kent Tekulve: ugly-ass side-armed mother-fucker. Three Rivers, a hole. Willie "Pops" Stargell, a dealer. Dave "Cobra" Parker, a cokehead. It goes on and on and on and on (which reminds me of the lame choice in theme song for the 2005 White Sox. A true southsider does not revel in a pussy band like Journey. Lemmy-Ace of Spades!)
Last edited by Oprah on Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

doddles
Forum Addict

Postby doddles » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:03 pm

Nous sommes tous les pirates, non?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv1RcXVoqr4

Genie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Genie » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:09 pm

Oprah wrote:I'm passing on the Pirate talk thing. I never was a Pirate fan. First, I cannot stand Sister Sledge and "We Are Family." Second, what was with those uniforms. I mean between the black, yellow, and white base color options and the pinstripes/non-pinstripes options applied to the jerseys, pants, hats, and socks--either all one color or mix-and-match (e.g., black jersey, black pants, black hat, black socks with the former and yellow jersey, black pants, white pinstriped hat, and yellow socks with the latter)--you had about 1,563 different combinations, or something like that. And I have three words (albeit hyphenated) for Kent Tekulve: ugly-ass side-armed mother-fucker. Three Rivers, a hole. Willie "Pops" Stargell, a dealer. Dave "Cobra" Parker, a cokehead. It goes on and on and on and on (which reminds me of the lame choice in theme song for the 2005 White Sox. A true southsider does not revel in a pussy band like Journey. Lemmy-Ace of Spades!)

Arrrgghh! Whatever be ya talkin' 'bout! I b'lieve 'tis baseball yer thinkin' of! Never seen it - not much call fer them sorts a games on me ship!!!

Genie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Genie » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:19 pm

ayyyyyyyyy! Here be the video what's tells ye how to be talkin' like a pirate me mateys! :

Talkin' Like a pirate ye be!

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:53 pm

Oprah wrote:And I have three words (albeit hyphenated) for Kent Tekulve: ugly-ass side-armed mother-fucker. Three Rivers, a hole. Willie "Pops" Stargell, a dealer. Dave "Cobra" Parker, a cokehead.

On the other hand, they had Candelaria and Blyleven, Omar Moreno and Bill Madlock. And Cobra showed a fetching flair for the rhyme: "In October / When the leaves are brown / I predict I will wear / The batting crown." It even scans!

I'm with you on the Sister Sledge, though. And if Halloweentown ever fields a baseball team, you can be assured that they will wear either the Pirates or the Astros late-70's uniforms.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:55 pm

PS: Yahhrrr, says I.

Yahhrrr.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:17 pm

Too bad you didn't post this on Saturday. I'd have chosen "Sea Hawk" for the Saturday night movie, but chose the remastered "Robin Hood" instead.

Genie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Genie » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:31 pm

Bwis53 wrote:Too bad you didn't post this on Saturday. I'd have chosen "Sea Hawk" for the Saturday night movie, but chose the remastered "Robin Hood" instead.

ARRRGGHH! Robin Hood! He was one mighty fine pirate!! A pirate on the shore I says. More booty in that lad's treasure chest than some of the mightiest pirates on the seas!!!
AYYYY!! :twisted:

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:57 pm

I just saw The Crimson Pirate recently. Definitely a three and a half yahhrrr (out of five yahhrrrs) pye-rit flick - bonus points for Burt Lancaster being so hugely, flamingly gay throughout the film. I'm tellin' ya - not since Gene Kelly danced with Donald O'Connor has the leading lady been so obviously beside the point (nothing against Debbie Reynolds, who is a real sport about it).

Does anyone else besides me remember a late-70's buckle of swash called (appropriately enough) Swashbuckler? Robert Shaw's in it, and a young and unbelievably hot Genevi�šve Bujold, as well as that freaky Geoffrey Holder guy who used to pimp 7-Up.

Checking the IMDB I see it has a hell of a supporting cast. Dig it:
James Earl Jones
Peter Boyle
Beau Bridges
Anjelica Huston

Considering that I only saw it once (possibly twice) when it first came out in 1976, it's amazing I remember anything about it at all. But there was a balloon attack(!), and an evil catamite with deadly artificial claws, and there was the obligatory scene where Shaw and Bujold have to jump off this reaaaaallllly hiiiiiiiigh cliff.

It was really neat, as we used to say.

That's Swashbuckler. Not to be confused with Scalawag, which has an aging Kirk Douglas pushing his hearty-ass shtick, or with Skullduggery, which is about a D&D type gamer who goes insane and starts treating the whole world like it's a D&D game!!! (thus teaching us, as the theme song helpfully explains, 'the meaning of Skullduggery!')

boone
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boone » Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:35 am

Damm just like Jimmy I'm:

Yes, I am a pirate two hundred years too late.
The cannons don't thunder there's nothin' to plunder
I'm an over forty victim of fate
Arriving too late, arriving too late.

BobArctor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby BobArctor » Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:01 am

Have no idea where this is from.
It was in the clip art pile.

Return to “Headlines”