Tomato the Nazis...

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Should the Nazis be welcomed with a barrage of locally grown Tomatoes?

Yes
58%
No
42%

Total votes: 24

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:11 pm

I'm not sure I'd want to put my creative energies to this. Didn't notice who put up all those posters for the anti-demonstration. I like the idea of some street performers doing street skits kinda like Hogan's Heros, Charlie Chaplin in The Great Dictator, Brunhilda with the breast plate bra and horns, SNL, you get the picture. (or like that idiot, in the MASH TV series, who freaked out when he found out he was transfused with "Black Blood".) The swaztika is so revolting to me (it really hits a nerve 'cause I was harrassed in middle school just for my birth) I'd rather wear numbers or a Yellow Star myself...

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PaleoLiberal » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:50 pm

mrak wrote:
Bwis53 wrote:I like the idea of mocking them with a kick-dance chorus-line of "Spring Time for Hitler"

Best idea yet!

I agree. I'm going to be ignoring them, and I would suggest others doing the same. If you aren't going to ignore them, at least be creative and fun.

Dulouz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dulouz » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:07 pm

As far as chanting goes, please remember:

A slogan, depleted,
Should never be repeated!

Or maybe:

The people, defeated,
Will never be united!

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:10 pm

I remember the anti war hippies giving bouquets of flowers to cops and the National Guard (who were really not part of the problem, but it was still good theater). Maybe the Nazis need some flowers and a hug.

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:50 pm

Protest idea: Disguise yourself as Religious Right protesters, a la Fred Phelps and hold up signs with slogans like "God Hates Haters" and "We hate Fags more".

nickled&dimed
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nickled&dimed » Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:56 pm

white_rabbit wrote:Protest idea: Disguise yourself as Religious Right protesters, a la Fred Phelps and hold up signs with slogans like "God Hates Haters" and "We hate Fags more".

Maybe stand around like you are with them and hold up a sign that says "mommy didn't pay attention to me"

Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:37 pm

white_rabbit wrote:Protest idea: Disguise yourself as Religious Right protesters, a la Fred Phelps and hold up signs with slogans like "God Hates Haters" and "We hate Fags more".

Sounds good, but it's immigration, so it should say something like We hate Illegals more!

nickled&dimed
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nickled&dimed » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:52 pm

Actually get those drum corps people back, only have them dress in drag. No one will look at nazis then!!

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:38 pm

Orange Man! Yeah, that's the ticket!

Mike S.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mike S. » Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:20 am

This is a trick question. There's more than one meaning of "should", i.e. what "should" happen legally vs. what "should" happen for our amusement. Or maybe the Nazis and the Republicans (and most of the Democrats) are right and "should" doesn't mean anything at all. In any case, it's hard to answer the question. As for me, I'd follow the old advice, "Let him who is without sin throw the first tomato", which is to say, if I were there, I wouldn't throw a tomato, but maybe I'd buy a box of tomatoes and leave them out in a convenient public location so that in case Ben Masel came by and wanted to have a toss he doesn't have to go out of his way to find some. :)

bmasel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bmasel » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:13 am

Mike S. wrote:so that in case Ben Masel came by and wanted to have a toss he doesn't have to go out of his way to find some. :)

Nope. I'm booked out of town Saturday.

Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:12 am

We throw tomatoes. Then we set up a farmer right next to the nazis and mark up the tomatoes 1000%. They sell the overpriced tomatoes to the Nazi's....at least someone can make a buck out of it.

Everyone just stand there and laugh, thru the whole speech.

Or have a community potluck. everyone bring something to eat. When the speakers start, make him up a plate and give it to him. Bring cold sodas for the others hanging about. Have someone up there scooping out Babcock ice cream sundaes for the participants.
Have Amazing Loon juggling in the corner, face painting for kids, a dunking tank-3 balls for $5 all proceeds go to the NAACP, UW Players singing autographs.....

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:12 am

Well, I guess we could do one of two, or both...

Everyone wear Yellow Stars.

Or Instant Festival of Life ala Abbie Hoffman. Just get every community activist, artist, etc. and Out-Festival every other fest of the year! (sounds like fun) You could set up a Mock Hitler to throw rotten tomatoes at, or do what ever you want. I still like the idea of someone in The Great Dictator costume, with appropriate mocking guestures. I'd like to see young Hitler, having a conversation with his mom,"But Mom, you mean I'm not a pure German,(Austrian etc.) and there's Jewish blood in my veins?!" And I want Mom to laugh and make light of it. Ach, my little Adolf, you're a Mutt!

AlphaLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AlphaLiberal » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:28 am

BobArctor wrote: Throwing the first punch is assault.

A physical confrontation would be a recruiting booster for the nazis. If we hurt them, twenty disturbed kids from elswhere will join the cult. This conflict must be kept at a symbolic level.

Agree with Hulk.

dtray2064
Forum Addict

Postby dtray2064 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:08 pm

hulk wrote:Like it or not these pieces of crap have as much right to rally or protest or whatever the hell they are trying to do as the rest of us.

Take the good with the bad.

Would you be in favor of pro-war people throwing tomatoes at an anti-war rally? How about at a LGB rally or protest? My guess is no.

Ignore these fools. Do not give them the attention they want!

There is a big difference between defending one's community against an OPRESSIVE organization with a LONG history of brutal violence and violating the free speech/right to assemble of demonstrators. It's ridiculous to even bring up the issue of free speech in this discussion-- nazi rallies do not occur in a vacuum; they occur within a historical context and a social context that warrants opposition.

Some people do not and have not had the liberty of ignoring groups that would like to murder their families. Is that a matter of free speech as many opponents of the counter-rally assert? Give me a break.

The Nazi's will get attention no matter what-- news crews will be there with cameras, journalists with pads and pens. Do we want reports to read, "Nazi's storm Wisconsin's Capital" or "Madison resists hate group?" Call me crazy, but I'd prefer the latter scenario.

Return to “Headlines”