Lefties get rich?

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Are you ...

Left-handed?
27%
Right-handed?
53%
Ambidextrous?
20%

Total votes: 15

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Lefties get rich?

Postby kurt_w » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:28 am

Apparently, a new study suggests that left-handed men earn more than right-handed men. And the more education the left-handers have, the bigger their advantage -- left-handers who completed college earned a surprisingly large 21% more than their right-handed peers.

link

Another odd point is that there's apparently no significant income effect of handedness in women, only men.

My first thought was that having everything designed for right-handers might force left-handers to work slightly harder, which would pay off in the long run. But why wouldn't that apply to both men and women equally?

Maybe it's something to do with language? There seem to be language differences both between men and women, and between left-handers and right-handers. And obviously language is very important in occupational success.

Kurt [who is strongly right-handed ...]

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:31 am

Gay men are 34 percent more likely than straight men to be left-handed:

(summary here)

Now we can wonder whether those gay men are more likely to earn more....

There's a whole interesting cluster of different traits in men going with handedness, brain organization, sexual preference, and various skills and interests not limited to language skills. I wouldn't be surprised if the wealth thing is one of the secondary outcomes.

Tangential but not unrelated: UW Press author Will Fellows' book "A Passion to Preserve: Gay Men as Keepers of Culture." Available at the Madison public library.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:24 pm

Famous Lefties:

http://www.indiana.edu/~primate/left.html

It's always fun for me to look at some of them and think, wow they really fly as far as they can take it!

I was forced to switch from left to right handed writing in second grade. Now, I can see they just thought they were doing the right thing for me. I'm really glad no one said anything when I started painting and sewing with my left hand.

Number two son, was not forced to lose his left hand. He just got a job woohoo! I'm a happy momma!

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:40 pm

Bwis53 wrote:I was forced to switch from left to right handed writing in second grade.

Wow. Congratulations on overcoming that. I can't imagine having someone, in the name of helping me, force me to stop writing with my right hand. Ugh.

buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:57 pm

This lefty welcomes donations from all who wish to ensure that this statistic remains true.

Suoiragerg
Forum Addict

Postby Suoiragerg » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:27 am

As a left handed man I can see how we make more than those inferior right haned sub-humans.

We must accumulate wealth to assure that we are never again subjected to the terrors of having to use those crappy righthanded safety scissors that we were stuck with in first grade.

Further, the wealth will help with our secret plot to take over the world.

Did you nitice that Brain from Pinky and the Brain was lefthanded?

Another theory:

Being left handed men we can actually button our clothes 10% faster than our right handed counterparts. Since women's clothes button on the other side the same advantage does not exist for left handed women.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:52 am

Aw, and here I could have just worn my Pinky and the Brain shirt next Saturday at Micky's instead of my Yahara-Micky's shirt, painted with my left hand!

ShaneDog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ShaneDog » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:25 am

We deserve to get rich. It's payback for all of the horror we have to endure. Does anyone else remember going through elementary school and trying to explain the trail of black smudge left behind on every single thing you ever wrote because of stupid pencil lead. Actually some pens were just as bad if not worse but it seems like inks have gotten better now and I only have the problem with pencil lead now.

Then there were the countless embarrassing moments from little league where people would constantly tell you you are standing on the wrong side of the plate when up at bat.

Return to “Headlines”