Al Gore's movie An Inconvenient Truth is must see

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Have you seen An Inconvenient Truth?

Yes!
25%
No, but I plan to
55%
No, and I don't plan to
20%

Total votes: 20

Andy Olsen
Forum God/Goddess

Al Gore's movie An Inconvenient Truth is must see

Postby Andy Olsen » Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:21 pm

Last night, I saw Al Gore's new movie, "An Inconvenient Truth" for the second time. People need to see this movie. We need to get serious about global warming issues. We need to confront the deniers and professional skeptics and demand they stop their ideological and profit-minded obstructionism.

There's so much we can do, whether as individuals, institutions, or at the government level. Many global warming policies would result in better public health from less pollution, more jobs and more business opportunities. (Of course, the coal, oil and gas businesses will suffer unless they change.)

The movie tells a story about the human race as well as a human story. The combination of footage from around the world with facts, logic, and data are powerful. Gore is teling us we need to get moving now on global warming, and he's right.

One quibble I have is that he should have looked more closely at carbon cycles and fuel cycles, how we are releasing ancient interred carbon with fossil fuel combustion. Those dead dinosaurs are still trouble!

Please, check it out.
Here are local show times:
http://www.thedailypage.com/going-out/m ... hp?id=4481

And, here are some pesky facts from the site's web site.
http://www.climatecrisis.net wrote:http://www.climatecrisis.net/thescience/
The vast majority of scientists agree that global warming is real, it�s already happening and that it is the result of our activities and not a natural occurrence. The evidence is overwhelming and undeniable.

We�re already seeing changes. Glaciers are melting, plants and animals are being forced from their habitat, and the number of severe storms and droughts is increasing.
  • The number of Category 4 and 5 hurricanes has almost doubled in the last 30 years.
  • Malaria has spread to higher altitudes in places like the Colombian Andes, 7,000 feet above sea level.
  • The flow of ice from glaciers in Greenland has more than doubled over the past decade.
  • At least 279 species of plants and animals are already responding to global warming, moving closer to the poles.
If the warming continues, we can expect catastrophic consequences.
  • Deaths from global warming will double in just 25 years -- to 300,000 people a year.
  • Global sea levels could rise by more than 20 feet with the loss of shelf ice in Greenland and
    Antarctica, devastating coastal areas worldwide.
  • Heat waves will be more frequent and more intense.
  • Droughts and wildfires will occur more often.
  • The Arctic Ocean could be ice free in summer by 2050.
  • More than a million species worldwide could be driven to extinction by 2050.

There is no doubt we can solve this problem. In fact, we have a moral obligation to do so. Small changes to your daily routine can add up to big differences in helping to stop global warming. The time to come together to solve this problem is now ââ?¬â?? TAKE ACTION

bmasel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bmasel » Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:53 pm

What's the scene out front like? Worth my burning hydrocarbons to go out there and chase ballot signatures?

Billy Shears
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Billy Shears » Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:11 pm

Nobody handing out anything but survey forms for the theater. Don't know what the theater or the westgate mall folks would say. At 1 PM, things were pretty slow.
You ARE planning on seeing the movie, right? Not just camping out for hours and days at the door, right?

bmasel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bmasel » Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:37 pm

Billy Shears wrote:Nobody handing out anything but survey forms for the theater. Don't know what the theater or the westgate mall folks would say. At 1 PM, things were pretty slow.
You ARE planning on seeing the movie, right? Not just camping out for hours and days at the door, right?

Not camping out. Maybe popping over for the pre-show and exiting crowd.

How long's the flick? I'm barely on pace to finish the signatures by deadline.

jhain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jhain » Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:39 am

I saw it Friday night and was really impressed. He does a great job of making a very powerful statement without letting the technical parts drag it down.

Favorite part: "mmmm, gold bars.."

Billy Shears
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Billy Shears » Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:41 pm

bmasel wrote:How long's the flick? I'm barely on pace to finish the signatures by deadline.

About 90 minutes, give or take. Can't remember exactly.

Andy Olsen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Andy Olsen » Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:22 pm

Ben,

The movie, itself, is 100 minutes long, but Westgate also has about 20->30 minutes of commercials. (Don't you love paying to see commercials?)

There's more online content here:
http://www.climatecrisis.net/blog/

I saw some right winger blogging that Gore burns up fossil fuels promoting the movie. Wrong-o! They have purchased green tags to make the movie production and promotion carbon-neutral!

Shpiker
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shpiker » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:51 pm

and the discussion continues...

Daisy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Daisy » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:55 pm

It's a really good Powerpoint presentation.

Ed Breakfast
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ed Breakfast » Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:46 am

Westgate also has about 20->30 minutes of commercials.

Seriously? I guess I haven't seen a movie in a while. That's fucking ridiculous.

Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:10 am

Daisy wrote:It's a really good Powerpoint presentation.

Horseshit.

There's no such thing.

Andy Olsen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Andy Olsen » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:25 am

However long it was (commericals were), it was ridiculous, paying to see commecials. Might have only been 10-15 minutes and just seemed longer.

Daisy, it's a lot more than a powerpoint. (Actually, seeing how slick it was, they probably had to use an Apple or two to pull it all off.) It's about the opposite of "The Day After Tomorrow," which was cringe-inducing. There are some charts and such, but no bullet points!

Gore addresses a lot of the arguments from the obstructionists, such as we're too small in relation to the Earth to have such a effect. I crossposted this post over at Madison.com and took on a few of those myself. To get the most mileage for my typing, here they are....

"The earth's temperature has fluctuated before"
Yes, the earth's temperature has changed before. No argument there. Mr. Gore makes this point very strongly. However, those changes occurred over much LONGER periods of time. These changes we are seeing are happening more rapidly.

It's like comparing change over geologic time to change over a human time frame and claiming they're the same. Uh-uh. Bad logic.

Even if it were known what amount we contribute (which it isn't) we don't know whether the earth is resilient enough to compensate, if it will continue to warm, or turn around and cool.

We know beyond dispute that concentrations of CO2 and other greenhouse gases are very high and rising. Actually, the human contribution to is pretty accurately estimated, though I don't have time to dig that out.

We have a pretty good idea how the Earth will compensate. Some people propose we just wait and see. Kind of like letting the experiment run it's course. Bad idea, by then, it will be far too late to do anything to avoid the problem. And, we don't have a spare planet to experiment on.

What about that global cooling thing in the 1970s?
I lived through that. That hypothesis lived a very brief life. The hypothesis was floated and discussed, subjected to scientific review and then discarded. The environmental community stopped talking about global cooling when the scientific consensus came in. It's a dead issue.

The only ones talking about global cooling are the righties who are engaging in the same kneejerk denial that they do when ANY environmental problem is considered. See: DDT, phosphate pollution, erosion, mercury pollution, etc. Why do they do that? Ya got me!
Last edited by Andy Olsen on Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shpiker
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shpiker » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:39 am

Andy Olsen wrote:"The earth's temperature has fluctuated before"
Yes, the earth's temperature has changed before. No argument there. Mr. Gore makes this point very strongly. However, those changes occurred over much LONGER periods of time. These changes we are seeing are happening more rapidly.

So how does one account for the fact that these changes began happening at a greater rate prior to industrialization and therefore a man-made infusion of higher quantities of the so-called greenhouse gasses??

We know beyond dispute that concentrations of CO2 and other greenhouse gases are very high and rising. Actually, the human contribution to is pretty accurately estimated, though I don't have time to dig that out.

I got your back on this one:
Humans can only claim responsibility, if that's the word, for abut 3.4% of carbon dioxide emitted to the atmosphere annually, the rest of it is all natural (you can see the IPCC representation of the natural carbon cycle and human perturbation here or a simple schematic from Woods Hole here). Half our estimated emissions fail to accumulate in the atmosphere," "disappearing" into sinks as yet undetermined. Humans' total accumulated carbon contribution could account for perhaps 25% of the total non-water greenhouse gases (that is, accounting for all the increase since the Industrial Revolution regardless of source and irrespective of whether warming from any cause might result in an increase in natural emission to atmosphere -- we're simply claiming the lot as anthropogenic or human-caused here).

We have a pretty good idea how the Earth will compensate. Some people propose we just wait and see. Kind of like letting the experiment run it's course. Bad idea, by then, it will be far too late to do anything to avoid the problem. And, we don't have a spare planet to experiment on.

Got some help for you here too from Junk Science (since it could be considered as authoritative (if not more) than Gore's movie):
Ah, this is where it gets rather contentious because the big warming numbers come not from measurements but from computer models. These computer models and their output are passionately defended by the modeling clique and frequently derided by empiricists -- but the bottom line is that models make an enormous range of assumptions. Whether all the assumptions, tweaks and parameter adjustments really collectively add up to a realistic representation of the atmosphere is open to some conjecture (current climate models do not model "natural" climatic variation very well), but there is no evidence yet that they can predict the future with any greater certainty than a pack of Tarot cards. Moreover, humans do a lot besides emitting greenhouse gases, changing vegetation and transpiration rates through agriculture, for example, and many effects expected to both increase and decrease regional temperatures are not included in these models.

Regardless, climate models are made interesting by the inclusion of "positive feedbacks" (multiplier effects) so that a small temperature increment expected from increasing atmospheric carbon dioxide invokes large increases in water vapor, which seem to produce exponential rather than logarithmic temperature response in the models. It appears to have become something of a game to see who can add in the most creative feedback mechanisms to produce the scariest warming scenarios from their models but there remains no evidence the planet includes any such effects or behaves in a similar manner.

What about that global cooling thing in the 1970s?
I lived through that. That hypothesis lived a very brief life. The hypothesis was floated and discussed, subjected to scientific review and then discarded. The environmental community stopped talking about global cooling when the scientific consensus came in. It's a dead issue.

The only ones talking about global cooling are the righties who are engaging in the same kneejerk denial that they do when ANY environmental problem is considered. See: DDT, phosphate pollution, erosion, mercury pollution, etc. Why do they do that? Ya got me!

Well fine, then the only ones talking about global warming are the lefties who are engaging in the same fear-mongering that they do when ANY environmental issue is considered. There- I can generalize just as good as you.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:07 am

The effect of this movie is polarizing. That might not be the intent, but if anyone actually thought this wouldn't play as yet another liberal lecture, they're severely deluded.

I mean, Andy effectively underscored this by commanding that we all NEED to see the movie. I probably agree with 100% of the movie and I like Al Gore plenty, but I'm not alone in bristling whenever somebody says I NEED to do anything. Democrats NEED to stop telling people what to do.

Nothing will be done about the environment unless Democrats win elections, and that's not going to happen if they continue to go around bossing people around. Continue to point out the harmful effects of Republican governance and explain in a clear way what you'll do differently. But knock off the hysteria.

Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:24 am

jjoyce wrote:Democrats NEED to stop telling people what to do.

You tell 'em, JJ!

Heh.

Heh heh heh.

Return to “Headlines”