This home protected by Smith and Wesson

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

How do you protect your home?

Firearms
26%
Baseball Bat
32%
I hope the police will show up
26%
"These fists are a lethal weapon"
16%

Total votes: 19

pulsewidth modulation
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pulsewidth modulation » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:53 pm

GenieU wrote:P.S. Past locking the doors at night I don't waste a lot of time fretting about our house being broken into, because despite the climate of constant worry and paranoia its statisticly still not all that likely to happen.

Amen to that. A lot of the scare propaganda that drives citizen paranoia in regards to "high crime" is driven by the home security industry and the US government. I've found that people who have high levels of fear towards "high crime" consume high levels of popular media. As usual kids, turn off the TV, it tends to make shit up and blow it out of proportion in order to sell you crap you don't need, like a car alarms.

Anyone living in the Minneapolis area who claims that area is under threat of "high crime" lives in a cave or doesn�t get out much. That town is as quiet as a hey field around midnight.

buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:58 pm

Ducatista wrote:
buckyor wrote:
Paco wrote:I have a Bill Parsons autographed bat from Brewers Bat Day circa 1974 under my bed.

I have a Tommy Harper and a Danny Walton.

So if you break into Paco's house armed with your Walton, who wins?

Well, seeing as Bill Parsons was a pitcher, and Walton hit 17 homers in the Brewers' inaugural season in Milwaukee, I think my guy carried the bigger stick.

Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:24 pm

Yea, but mine was signed by a catcher, Gerry McNertney!

Like I said, if he breaks into my house he'll trip over my bike in the hallway, kitchen sink in the living room, kitchen and bathroom faucets in the foyer next to the bathroom vanity, spring summer & winter jackets on the floor behind the chair......and that's assuming he doesn't go into the other 2 bedrooms first.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:26 pm

It's also assuming he doesn't turn the light on.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:30 pm

Real burglars don't turn the light on. Didn't you ever burgle anything?

Poser.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:33 pm

snoqueen wrote:Real burglars don't turn the light on.

Real burglars don't break into houses that have bikes in the hallways, kitchen sinks in the living room, kitchen and bathroom faucets in the foyer next to the bathroom vanity, and spring, summer and winter jackets on the floor behind the chair, either.

Bruno
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bruno » Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:58 pm

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:13 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:I'll deal with the situation at hand and take my chances with the legal system.

You have a mustache, don't you?

papalion
Forum Addict

Critters

Postby papalion » Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:19 pm

Papa Lion don't do weed, never did, never will.

"Critters like what" Chuckie, referred to your reference to animals that tear off peoples scrotums and otherwise do injury, not cute little barkers and heel biters.(we are assuming that the home invader is male, yes)

And the insurance companies have figured out which breeds of dogs they would prefer not be in the homes they insure. A few trinckets lost through a home invasion is nothing compared to the law suit settlements resulting from attacks from vicious dogs that some homeowners would have us believe are "pets".
Check with your insurance agent Mr Shears he/she will tell you which breeds they are.

You can't get a homeowner loan from a bank if you don't have insurance?
Then pay cash!

But in my original post on this subject: I don't advocate shooting people.
An invader, I want to leave quickly, I want him caught because we know he is up to no good purpose, so I would like to get his name address and social security number before he leaves(Chuck this is facetious).
I will not be sitting down having a chat with him, Mr Joyce.
I like Argyle socks too!
I believe there may be more to this story, that the authorities have not shared with the media.

Peace,mon
Papa Lion

Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Critters

Postby Chuck_Schick » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:03 pm

papalion wrote:Papa Lion don't do weed, never did, never will.

Well, maybe that's the problem. I kid, I kid.

And the insurance companies have figured out which breeds of dogs they would prefer not be in the homes they insure. A few trinckets lost through a home invasion is nothing compared to the law suit settlements resulting from attacks from vicious dogs that some homeowners would have us believe are "pets".

Well, first, good luck figuring out what breed she is. Got a degree in canine genetics? 'Cause it would be cool to figure that out.

Secondly, let me make it clear that my dog is trained and not given to vicious or protective behavior. I was simply trying to make the point that there are other home protection measures besides firearms (or just locking the friggin' door in the first place). That said, I don't know what she'd do if someone she didn't recognize invaded our home. She'd bark her ass off for certain and if you were stupid enough to fuck with her beyond that, I wash my hands. Not my problem, because anyone who's not an idiot knows you don't fuck with a strange dog, and if you're already on the premises illegally ... well, let's just say I'm not going to be breaking out the "down stay" command for your benefit.

I don't advocate shooting people.

Neither do I. Nor do I advocate taunting strange dogs, whatever the breed. It's just not smart ... but then again, I suppose most home invaders aren't on the Mensa waiting list, huh?

I believe there may be more to this story, that the authorities have not shared with the media.

Well, judging from a couple of posts back, I'd say you're on to something there.

Peace, mon

Indeed. Looks like we could use all we can get. Shalom right back atcha ... mon.

spacecase
Forum Addict

Postby spacecase » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:15 pm

jjoyce wrote:It's starting to stink like machismo in here.

I prefer to kill 'em with kindness. Turn on the light, offer up a cold one. "Have a seat, friend. You look stressed. Strung out, even. Take a load off, traveller. Cuppa soup?"

You might find that you've lost an antagonist... and found a friend.

put...down...the...bong.
You've had enough.
I've been in bed as someone tried to get into my bedroom window. I did not offer him a beer. I called my neighbor who came running out with a baseball bat.

dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:19 pm

buckyor wrote:
Paco wrote:I have a Bill Parsons autographed bat from Brewers Bat Day circa 1974 under my bed.

I have a Tommy Harper and a Danny Walton.

Mine's a freakin' Johnny Evers. They don't make bats this huge anymore.

Then there's my "amp stands". 1/2 steel threaded rods wraped in tape.

d

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:42 pm

Of the choices provided, I prefer the Louisville Slugger. It's great for close quarter work. Otherwise, I have some long, sharp and pointy knives in the kitchen. Neither has to be locked up, unlike firearms.

Guns are much more likely to kill a friend or family member (or oneself) than an intruder. Don't like those odds.

mudduck
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mudduck » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:47 pm

Guns have to be locked up? You better tell that to the loaded M9 in my bedroom.

Billy Shears
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Billy Shears » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:53 pm

There's a few blunt instruments near the bed, but I depend on the dogs. For one thing, they're in the house while I'm at work, when most breakins happen. For another, I prefer my burglars attacked by someone or something other than myself. And SWMBO is not inclined.

I've been scouring the net looking for a Gravity Gun ala HalfLife2 and a few used saw blades, but no luck.

Return to “Headlines”