This home protected by Smith and Wesson

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

How do you protect your home?

Baseball Bat
I hope the police will show up
"These fists are a lethal weapon"
Total votes: 19

Forum God/Goddess

Postby SombreroFallout » Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:51 pm

pulsewidth modulation wrote:Amen to that. A lot of the scare propaganda that drives citizen paranoia in regards to "high crime" is driven by the home security industry and the US government. I've found that people who have high levels of fear towards "high crime" consume high levels of popular media. As usual kids, turn off the TV, it tends to make shit up and blow it out of proportion in order to sell you crap you don't need, like a car alarms.

One study from only a few years back showed that TV-watchers held a strong mistrust of people in general when out and about in the world.

Non-TV-watchers, however, displayed high levels of trust of their fellow man.

Care to take a guess as to which group had more fun? Or, for that matter is healthier?

I submit that this is a key piece of data for the urban planners out there.

Forum Addict

Postby spacecase » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:23 am

Nick Berigan wrote: I'll take a decent neighborhood, a functional phone tree, and properly funded cops and grade school teachers any day over having to spatter some deranged individual across the walls of my kitchen.

Sweet. Maybe someday I'll have that option. For now I sleep with a baseball bat and a phone within reach.

My neighbors are creepy, but it's all I can afford.

Forum Addict

Postby spacecase » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:26 am

mudduck wrote:What the hell is a "functional phone tree?"

My phone tree is totally dysfunctional. That's my problem.

After a creepy peeping tom neighbor (our 'neighborhood watch'?) repeatedly tried to get into my apartment while I was home, I asked friends who do have guns to get me some NRA stickers for my windows.

Maybe I just need a sign that says, "I have a functional phone tree and I know how to use it!"

Return to “Headlines”