Pick the next foreign policy crisis!

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

What will be the next major international crisis?

Iranian nuclear proliferation
36%
Situation worsens in Israel/Palestine
14%
China attacks or is belligerent towards Taiwan
No votes
India v. Pakistan
5%
North Korean nuclear proliferation
5%
Oil prices skyrocket
9%
Major terrorist attack
14%
Other
18%

Total votes: 22

GonzoWiz

Pick the next foreign policy crisis!

Postby GonzoWiz » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:13 am

While the war in Iraq rages on, it seems we're about due for another major foreign policy crisis. Iran seems to be a good option for now, but there are lots of potential storms on the horizon. What do you think will be the next crisis, and how will it come about?

SIZZAW
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SIZZAW » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:08 am

I'd say cartoons are the new scourge we shall face. The Danes are waging war with caricature, it cannot be permitted in a free world.

Iran is a close second.

Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:44 am

You forgot an "All of the above" choice.... :wink:

boone
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boone » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:52 am

When Bush was selected in 2000, to cheer my depressed wife I told her the neocons would be entertaining. I never imagined they would entertain with such destruction. I looked at the list but was unable to choose, these nuts in charge have a history of bringing the unexpected in very surprising ways. I do believe whatever is next will be bad, these fools are unable to get anything done correctly.

Billy Shears
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Billy Shears » Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:13 am

Michael Patrick wrote:You forgot an "All of the above" choice.... :wink:

Welllll, it would be tough to have them all happen at exactly the same time.
:-)
I'm the oil prices vote. Not for any particular logical reason, just that Iran is the Big Issue of the Day, we're all watching it, and I think the next crisis is going to blindside us just like all the rest of them did, and nobody seems to think that oil is going to give us any surprises in the near future.

Just the right conditions for something to jump out and yell "Surprise!" And then we'll all sit back and say "You know, in hindsight, I guess we should have seen that coming."

Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:20 am

Billy Shears wrote:
Michael Patrick wrote:You forgot an "All of the above" choice.... :wink:

Welllll, it would be tough to have them all happen at exactly the same time.
:-)

Don't misunderestimate the Bush administration's ability to fuck up lots of things simultaneously. I mean he's got Rummy, Condi, Bolton, and Big Dick all working overtime on it. Plus he's got God on his side, just ask Pat Robertson....

nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:23 am

I vote for all-encompassing shitstorm.

Billy Shears
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Billy Shears » Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:34 am

Michael Patrick wrote:Don't misunderestimate the Bush administration's ability to fuck up lots of things simultaneously.

I admit the possibility.

But I am hopeful that their destructive powers are more effective inside the US borders and although they are a strong negative influence globally, the rest of the world still has enough collective strength to at least slow down some of those things.

SIZZAW
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SIZZAW » Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:24 pm

I've changed my mind and I'm going with Colbert on this one:

Russian Spy Bears will be the next foreign problem we have. Let's face it, if governments are sneaky enough to use rocks to spy, who's to say those Russian born spy bears won't be infiltrated into our bear population here?

Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:00 pm

Michael Patrick wrote:Don't misunderestimate the Bush administration's ability to fuck up lots of things simultaneously. I mean he's got Rummy, Condi, Bolton, and Big Dick all working overtime on it. Plus he's got God on his side, just ask Pat Robertson....

Nuh uh. God is killing our soldiers in Iraq because of our liberal homosexuality policy according to Phelps Phollowers. It's bad enough we have to fight terrorists over there that we can't see and blend into their cities, but now we have to fight freakin' God too!?!?

Do you know how difficult this is gonna be? He's always going to know where we are. He's always going to be able to make more virgins and soldiers faster than we can. And if all else fails (which I highly doubt), He just snaps his fingers and He'll send a typhoon or locust plague to wipe out our armies.

Daisy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Daisy » Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:11 pm

I'm also inclined to vote for several, if not all, of the above. Given how thin our military is stretched, with its retention problems and "reserves" now on permanent active duty, as well as our interventionist credibility shot to hell around the world, it's only a matter of time before places from China to Syria get a little feisty.

I'd also add to the list:
-the gas pipeline standoff between Russia and Ukraine
-the shortages, privatization and wars over water

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:38 pm

Bird flu, and I really hope I'm wrong.

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:41 pm

China invades Taiwan and basically lets that US know that if they interfere the bank notes are going to be called in. George Bush, not being the one to be pushed around, will deploy aircraft carriers and warships to the region. China calls in the notes, the US defaults on the loans, the dollar and the stock market collapse.

Daisy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Daisy » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:41 am

white_rabbit wrote:China calls in the notes, the US defaults on the loans, the dollar and the stock market collapse.
Which is exactly why Cheney, Rove et al won't let Junior interfere in the Strait of Taiwan. Besides, Poppy is close to Bejing.

bmasel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bmasel » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:48 am

Venezuela.

Return to “Headlines”