Uh, what's happening CC?

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Does Mayor Ray Nagin REALLY need to apologize for his "chocolate city" comments?

They still call it the White House, but that's a temporary condition, too. Can you dig it, CC?
11%
To each his reach and if I don't cop, it ain't mine to have. But I'll be reachin' for ya 'cause I love ya, CC. Right on.
No votes
They say your jivin' game, it can't be changed, but on the positive side, you're my piece of the rock and I love you, CC. Can you dig it?
22%
You don't need the bullet when you got the ballot. Are you up for the downstroke, CC?
33%
A chocolate city is no dream. It's my piece of the rock and I dig you, CC.
33%

Total votes: 9

Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Uh, what's happening CC?

Postby Chuck_Schick » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:22 am

God bless Chocolate City and its vanilla suburbs.

Gainin' on ya!

Billy Shears
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Billy Shears » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:26 am

with sprinkled nuts.

massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:35 am

Well, I don't get it. I need dtray to come and make sense of all this for me. Oh, and in addition, this topic threatens me.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:44 am

Keep yukking up this kind of behavior. But race relations is a two-way street.

minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:48 am

"George Bush doesn't like black people." - Kanye West

SIZZAW
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SIZZAW » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:51 am

Ned Flanders wrote:Keep yukking up this kind of behavior. But race relations is a two-way street.

Yes, I'm sure you were personally offended by Ray's comments.

The guy's under more pressure than most, I can chalk this up to Howard Dean type enthusiasm and let it slide. It made for a great Daily Show.

When old school racists that currently reside in our Government start getting their chops busted up then I guess I can move on to the bigger problem of a racist Ray Nagin. Seriously, people have said worse than this and quite frankly I'm not surprised you haven't frothed over at the mouth and passed out after what Hillary said the other day, which I found oodles more offensive.

You're slipping, Ned.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:55 am

SIZZAW wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:Keep yukking up this kind of behavior. But race relations is a two-way street.

Yes, I'm sure you were personally offended by Ray's comments.

The guy's under more pressure than most, I can chalk this up to Howard Dean type enthusiasm and let it slide. It made for a great Daily Show.

When old school racists that currently reside in our Government start getting their chops busted up then I guess I can move on to the bigger problem of a racist Ray Nagin. Seriously, people have said worse than this and quite frankly I'm not surprised you haven't frothed over at the mouth and passed out after what Hillary said the other day, which I found oodles more offensive.

You're slipping, Ned.

I commented on Hillary's idiotic comments in a different thread entitled "A Bountiful Harvest".

nutria
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nutria » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:02 am

Wow. A native New Orleanian wants to rebuild his city the way it was before the storm, and not let it turn into the Las Vegas of the south. For shame!

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:06 am

Well, mayor Ray has apologized:
"If I offended anyone, I sincerely apologize," the mayor, who is black, said on Tuesday. "I need to be more sensitive and more aware of what I'm saying.

"I want everybody to be welcome in New Orleans -- black, white, Hispanic, Asian -- because that's the kind of city that we deserve going forward," he said. "I was trying to, and didn't do it very well, to deal with this whole notion, the undercurrent what's being talked about, and what's being talked about is who is going to come back to New Orleans at the end of the day."

Apparent, many of the the black leaders in NO agree with me:
"Other black leaders in New Orleans said they were taken aback by Nagin's remarks.

"Everybody's jaws are dropping right now," City Councilman Oliver Thomas told The Times-Picayune newspaper. "Even if you believe some of that crazy stuff, that is not the type of image we need to present to the nation."

Sticking up for people of any color who make stupid statements doesn't make you racially sensetive, it makes you part of the problem.

http://reuters.myway.com/article/200601 ... OR-DC.html

Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:07 am

I found his comments about God hating America far more ridiculous than the Chocolate blather.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:55 am

Stomach wrote:I found his comments about God hating America far more ridiculous than the Chocolate blather.

Amen. I guess it just goes to show that Democrats also like to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:16 am

1. Washington D.C. has long been known as Chocolate City.

2. If you knew anything about New Orleans, you'd know that it is most definitely a chocolate city, with its entire cultural backbone inspired by African Americans despite the claims of white guys from Minnesota.

3. If you were poor and black and lived in New Orleans and were worried that the city would be rebuilt to favor upper middle class whites, you'd be comforted by the mayor's words about trying to retain the character of the city.

4. In New Orleans, you are reminded of slavery every day through music, culture and any number of memorials to fallen Confederate heroes and/or historic black figures. You might be able to hypothetically switch vanilla for chocolate and make a point if whites had ever been enslaved by blacks in that very city.

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:33 pm

New Orleans isn't mentioned in Chocolate City. In fact, Atlanta is the only southern city named. Probably because it's primarily about northern industrial towns where blacks emigrated to in the 20th century for work. And Clinton himself is from Ohio, IIRC.

Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:30 pm

And if the Mayor of Birmingham or Simi Valley said he wanted to keep his city Vanilla City y'all be coming down on him, no? Nagin gets the award for talking-out-of-his-ass-because-his-foot-is-in-his-mouth award for both comments.
Nice to see part of MLK's legacy is a day where people all over the country, both white and black, can say stupid shit. :roll:

And on a better note, hat's off to whoever got Tony Brown for that speech monday night, that was a great speech at the Capitol, no?

Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:22 pm

And when they come to march on ya, tell 'em to make sure they got their James Brown pass.

Return to “Headlines”