8-year-olds on the hunt

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

The State Assembly has passed a law that would allow children as young as 8 to hunt, under close adult supervision. Good idea?

Why not? Let the little bastards help put food on the table.
30%
Are you kidding me? You'll shoot yer eye out, kid!
44%
What do I care? I don't even like kids, so let 'em play with firearms.
26%

Total votes: 27

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:27 am

The more I think about this, the more I'm inclined to just say "fuck it." The shameless pandering Republicans direct at gun owners is becoming almost comical. What do I care if some shithead gives his eight year-old a 12 gauge? The kid comes back with a concussion, if he comes back at all, and said shithead scores a moral victory over the "hippie libs." Whatever.

Hey, let's open up a Democratically sponsored, two-day domestic cat hunting season. Here's the catch. You can't shoot any feral cats (they have to have collars), you have to be twelve or under (we'll bill it as a learning event for the youngsters) and you have to use a bazooka. Hey, don't laugh, this will be a big hit in Wausau. Eight year-olds with bazookas hunting their neighbors' cats!

I feel the political winds achangin' already.

Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:26 am

I think 8 is too young, I'd be more comfortable with 10 though.

boone
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boone » Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:14 am

Paco wrote:I think 8 is too young, I'd be more comfortable with 10 though.

I don't think so, even 12 is to young. This state is very, very lucky more people are not shot during the all fall long deer hunting seasons. I lived in the country for over 23 years and have witnessed some crazy hunting situations. Everything from: Having a 12 guage shotgun pointed at my chest in my yard. Kids standing on the county highway as posts for deer drives. A hunter sitting in a deer stand overlooking a 40 acre field that has nothing between the hunter and a county highway. A hunter in a tree-stand along side a town road, but hunting across the road into a field that had a house at the far side of the field. I could keep going, but will stop with deer hunter scare me badly.

Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:24 am

but only one of those situations involves kids, this wouldn't change any of those. I don't think we've been 'lucky', I think the safety courses have helped in a big part. We've had less and less killings in the woods as the years have gone by, and I don't think it can be atributed to luck.
Bringing an 11 or 10 year old instead of a 12 year old isn't going to turn it into the wild wild west. I don't see how that's going to happen.

Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:32 am

lonesomejohnny wrote:8 year olds, dude.

Should have been the thread title. How'd I miss that?

Old School Johnny
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Old School Johnny » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:15 am

And here I thought this thread was gonna be about Shinky and his old bandmates arming themselves to the teeth...

charliedon'tsurf
Forum God/Goddess

Postby charliedon'tsurf » Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:10 am

Paco wrote:I think 8 is too young, I'd be more comfortable with 10 though.

Maybe 10 for .22 caliber which is only useful on small game anyway.

But would anyone really give someone under 10 a fricking twelve gauge? That is insane and hella irresponsible. Then again with this war on terror....

lonesomejohnny
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lonesomejohnny » Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:23 am

At 8 years shooting a 12 guage slug a few times is likely to detach ones retinas. But there's no reason a 12 year old cant hunt after taking a hunter's safety course. The course I took was full of 12ers and they understood the concepts and respected the responsabilities.

Also, while accidents do happen (every year), it is really hard to screw up to the point of shooting someone. It is a violation of rule #1 to point a gun at someone, and it is illegal to hunt within 50 feet of a roadway, but it's plenty safe to hunt on the other side of a 40 acre field, even within sight of a house, just so long as you dont shoot at them. Understanding how hunting and guns works makes it a lot less intimidating.

I think this bill (is it even a bill?) seems pretty off the wall and I doubt it will even get reasonable consideration. I do see it's purpose, though, in that hunters want to get young people into the sport, and between the ages of 8 and 12, kids can get into a lot of other things that will keep them from hunting.

Old School Johnny
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Old School Johnny » Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:38 am

lonesomejohnny wrote:...and between the ages of 8 and 12, kids can get into a lot of other things that will keep them from hunting.

Like strip clubs.

But only with a parent's supervision, of course.

minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:42 am

Old School Johnny wrote:
lonesomejohnny wrote:...and between the ages of 8 and 12, kids can get into a lot of other things that will keep them from hunting.

Like strip clubs.

But only with a parent's supervision, of course.

the right wing gun nuts are too busy banning strip clubs to take their kids to them

SIZZAW
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SIZZAW » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:14 pm

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:46 pm

SIZZAW wrote:http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11006938/

So what? That boy has a Constitutional RIGHT to bring a gun to school. And I should know, because Ned told me he read about it in the Constitution. And Ned's never-ever-ever wrong.

Leave it to hippie-bass-playin'-greenie-libs to try to take away guns from law abiding kindergarteners.

statz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby statz » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:08 pm

I belong to a gun club that host rifle site-ins for the general public every fall before deer season. Most of the 12-14 year olds that come in with their fathers have a tough time. Its one thing to shoot bird shot out of a 12 gauge but a whole other thing to shoot slugs, and several in a row. A lot of these kids are flinching and sore after a few shots. I couldn't imagine 8 year olds at the range let alone in a woods hunting. I'm pro hunting but I think the starting age should be older not younger.

The Big Cheese
Forum God/Goddess

8-year-old hunters

Postby The Big Cheese » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:39 pm

I don't think this bill is all that crazy. It says that the 8-year-old has to be within arm's reach of a parent or adult.

There should probably be a special hunter's safety class for these 8-year-olds. Maybe just a brief short course that they could take in an afternoon, and then they'd have to do the full class at age 12 to get their regular license.

A common sense amendment to limit them to .22 rifles and maybe .410 shotguns seems reasonable.

Hunting is really a pleasant past-time. I'd rather have some kids spend their autumn Saturdays out in the fields and woods with a relative, crossing little brooks and listening for squirrels and so on, than perpetually in front of some TV screen, blasting away at some video game.

The Big Cheese
Forum God/Goddess

Postby The Big Cheese » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:44 pm

Also, everyone seems to jump to the conclusion that these 8-year-olds would be deer hunting.

It could well be that the law limits them to the basic small-game license, which would be appropriate. This is for rabbits, squirrels, raccoons and so on.

To hunt deer, you need to pay a separate fee and file an additional application. Same, more or less, with waterfowl, pheasants, turkeys, bears, etc.

Return to “Headlines”