RIP GLY?

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Deep six GLY?

Yes, please make him go away, that buzzing sound is getting annoying
11
33%
No, I enjoy kicking him, even tho' he keeps coming back for more.
22
67%
 
Total votes: 33

gr0upie
Forum Addict
Posts: 499
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2003 3:54 pm
Contact:

Re: RIP GLY?

Postby gr0upie » Thu Dec 18, 2003 10:39 am

ladies and gentlemen, i'll be brief. the issue here is not whether GLY broke a few rules, or took a few liberties with forum etiquette - he did. [winks] but you can't hold this whole forum responsible for the behavior of a few, sick twisted individuals. for if you do, then shouldn't we blame the whole online forum system? and if the whole online forum system is guilty, then isn't this an indictment of our online institutions in general? i put it to you, jason - isn't this an indictment of our entire american society? well, you can do whatever you want to GLY, but we're not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the united states of america. forons! [leads the anti-censorship forons out of the forum, humming 'fight the power'.]

:mrgreen:

shoeless
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1295
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2002 9:42 am
Contact:

Postby shoeless » Thu Dec 18, 2003 10:51 am

I registered at the Free Republic forum as an experiment. I posted one message which was critical of George Bush, and checked back in about 45 minutes later. I found several posts screaming for my head, my message had been removed, and my posting rights were revoked. :shock:

eratik
Forum Addict
Posts: 225
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2003 5:12 pm
Location: Like kinda by the East Side, but not really on the East Side
Contact:

Postby eratik » Thu Dec 18, 2003 12:20 pm

I have to agree with the decision. Besides involving this website in his copyright violations, GLY brought the conversation level down to a sub-Yahoo message board level. I agree that GLY should be able to write what he wants, but the admins of this site don't have to allow individual posters to destroy the discourse going on here. Yes he brought a different "perspective"; that perspective, however, was not so valuable as to suffer his malicious presence.

Many an internet discussion has been destroyed by anarchy. I hope thedailypage does not follow them.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 12168
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2001 4:48 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Postby jjoyce » Thu Dec 18, 2003 1:41 pm

Just so everybody knows, I don't take stuff like this lightly and I truly hate doing it. Most of you are here because of not only the things we talk about, but how we talk about them. I'm pretty close to being a First Amendment extremist, but the Constitution can't really be applied here, because we are a commercial venture. In order to keep this board popular, relevant and, most importantly, not a joke, we've got to maintain some level of sophistication (even if it's 9th grade instead of 7th).

I'm pretty optimistic about online communities and have seen some very cool things happen as a result of this board. I've met some great people, had my views challenged and learned a lot. I also take what happens here pretty personally, as this board has resulted in my being threatened physically and in some cases has affected perceptions of my work performance. Consider also that in the 2.5 years that this board has operated with registrations, I've only had to boot about 12 people, and politics has never been the reason. The board has required very little actual management, which is to the credit of just about everybody here.

Okay? Alright.

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7487
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2003 11:44 pm

Postby white_rabbit » Thu Dec 18, 2003 1:42 pm

swifty wrote:
I am on another board with a pretty active politics forum. The right wingers (the vast majority of posters, lots of ex-military, cops, and the like) there can't follow through either.



In my experience the reason for this is the firmly held belief by some, if not most, conservatives that holding the right beliefs is good enough justification for their belief. A belief system based not on logic, reason or pursuit of intellect, but on the faith in faith itself. Why would one need to examine one's beliefs when the belief is the correct belief in the first place.

Liberals on the other hand, for the most part, value the pursuit of reason and intellectual debate. Liberals feel a need to prove their ideas correct so they pursue that belief or idea through intellect. This is probably why there are so many liberals in higher education, and so many conservatives in the ministry.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 13869
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 2:48 pm
Contact:

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Dec 18, 2003 1:50 pm

white_rabbit wrote:
swifty wrote:
I am on another board with a pretty active politics forum. The right wingers (the vast majority of posters, lots of ex-military, cops, and the like) there can't follow through either.



In my experience the reason for this is the firmly held belief by some, if not most, conservatives that holding the right beliefs is good enough justification for their belief. A belief system based not on logic, reason or pursuit of intellect, but on the faith in faith itself. Why would one need to examine one's beliefs when the belief is the correct belief in the first place.

Liberals on the other hand, for the most part, value the pursuit of reason and intellectual debate. Liberals feel a need to prove their ideas correct so they pursue that belief or idea through intellect. This is probably why there are so many liberals in higher education.


Is this more of your irony Rabbit?

Speech codes, "hate" speech, the constant shouting down of speakers--all courtesy of the left.

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7487
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2003 11:44 pm

Postby white_rabbit » Thu Dec 18, 2003 1:58 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Speech codes, "hate" speech, the constant shouting down of speakers--all courtesy of the left.


Are these all things the right is innocent of? And I wasn't referring to free speech I was referring to justification of held beliefs and why conservatives don't feel the need to justify their held beliefs.

swifty

Postby swifty » Thu Dec 18, 2003 2:00 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:
white_rabbit wrote:
swifty wrote:
I am on another board with a pretty active politics forum. The right wingers (the vast majority of posters, lots of ex-military, cops, and the like) there can't follow through either.



In my experience the reason for this is the firmly held belief by some, if not most, conservatives that holding the right beliefs is good enough justification for their belief. A belief system based not on logic, reason or pursuit of intellect, but on the faith in faith itself. Why would one need to examine one's beliefs when the belief is the correct belief in the first place.

Liberals on the other hand, for the most part, value the pursuit of reason and intellectual debate. Liberals feel a need to prove their ideas correct so they pursue that belief or idea through intellect. This is probably why there are so many liberals in higher education.


Is this more of your irony Rabbit?

Speech codes, "hate" speech, the constant shouting down of speakers--all courtesy of the left.


rabbit is right on on the theory/sociology part of it.

But I gotta agree with Flanders on the his point about bullshit hate speech laws and misguided speech code policies... :roll:

Really though Ned, ya have to admit that the right does it's share of suppressing speech. Fortunately for them they can do it on the corporate level where unpleasant noise simply doesn't get coverage. No shouting needed.

shoeless
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1295
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2002 9:42 am
Contact:

Postby shoeless » Thu Dec 18, 2003 4:36 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:...the constant shouting down of speakers--all courtesy of the left.


Really? Do you consider Bill O'Reilly to be a leftist?
A booksellers' luncheon isn't the place you'd expect to hear a shouting match, but Al Franken (search) and Bill O'Reilly (search) got into a verbal war Saturday at BookExpo America in Los Angeles.

"Shut up! You had your 35 minutes. Shut up," O'Reilly said.

Franken snapped back: "This isn't your show Bill," creating an uproar from the crowd.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,88364,00.html


I gotta love ya Flanders. You never fail to give me an opening I could drive a truck through.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 13869
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 2:48 pm
Contact:

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Dec 18, 2003 5:11 pm

shoeless wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:...the constant shouting down of speakers--all courtesy of the left.


Really? Do you consider Bill O'Reilly to be a leftist?
A booksellers' luncheon isn't the place you'd expect to hear a shouting match, but Al Franken (search) and Bill O'Reilly (search) got into a verbal war Saturday at BookExpo America in Los Angeles.

"Shut up! You had your 35 minutes. Shut up," O'Reilly said.

Franken snapped back: "This isn't your show Bill," creating an uproar from the crowd.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,88364,00.html


I gotta love ya Flanders. You never fail to give me an opening I could drive a truck through.


What is this post about? Nothing as usual. Good job Shoefeld.*

*Sticking up for oneself is differnet than shouting down a speaker or making certain words illegal. Doofus.

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7487
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2003 11:44 pm

Postby white_rabbit » Thu Dec 18, 2003 5:20 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:*Sticking up for oneself is differnet than shouting down a speaker or making certain words illegal.


Yeah it is. When someone from the right does it, it's sticking up for oneself, when someone from the left does the same thing it's shouting down a speaker.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 13869
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 2:48 pm
Contact:

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Dec 18, 2003 5:24 pm

white_rabbit wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:*Sticking up for oneself is differnet than shouting down a speaker or making certain words illegal.


Yeah it is. When someone from the right does it, it's sticking up for oneself, when someone from the left does the same thing it's shouting down a speaker.


Please. You know as well as I do, that conseravative speakers are regularly shouted down on college campuses across the country. These are not isolated incidents, but childish patterns of rude behavior.

The president was heckled in Australia, it goes on and on.

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7487
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2003 11:44 pm

Postby white_rabbit » Thu Dec 18, 2003 5:30 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:
white_rabbit wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:*Sticking up for oneself is differnet than shouting down a speaker or making certain words illegal.


Yeah it is. When someone from the right does it, it's sticking up for oneself, when someone from the left does the same thing it's shouting down a speaker.


Please. You know as well as I do, that conseravative speakers are regularly shouted down on college campuses across the country. These are not isolated incidents, but childish patterns of rude behavior.

The president was heckled in Australia, it goes on and on.


And my point, Ned, is that it comes from both sides. You should have seen the little GOP'ers and their rude shouting when the Dean rally was in Madison. Your point seems to be that this only comes from the left, which if accurate, is blind.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 13869
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 2:48 pm
Contact:

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Dec 18, 2003 5:38 pm

white_rabbit wrote: You should have seen the little GOP'ers and their rude shouting when the Dean rally was in Madison.


I didn't hear a thing about this. Can post a news story to back this up?

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7487
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2003 11:44 pm

Postby white_rabbit » Thu Dec 18, 2003 5:44 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:
white_rabbit wrote: You should have seen the little GOP'ers and their rude shouting when the Dean rally was in Madison.


I didn't hear a thing about this. Can post a news story to back this up?


No need to, I was there & watched it with my own eyes. I do believe it was mentioned by others in the Dean rally thread, maybe you can look for that yourself.

For clarification this happened outside the rally area, they were shouting at people standing in line. They tried to get in but were turned away, so clearly the intent to distrupt his speech was there. They continued to shout from outside once the rally started, but was kind of in vain by then because of the 4-5000 that outnumbered their 15.


Return to “Headlines”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests