Happiest countries

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Happiest countries

Postby Beaver » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:41 am

As usual, the happiest are the Scandinavians. USA ranks 14 but ahead of Germany and UK. France didn't even make top 20. I wonder why? I'm not sure what the Best Countries Rank is.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-countr ... ry-of-2017

Happiness Rank Best Countries Rank
1 Norway 10
2 Denmark 12
3 Iceland Not Ranked
4 Switzerland 1
5 Finland 13
6 Netherlands 11
7 Canada 2
8 New Zealand 14
9 Australia 8
10 Sweden 6

http://www.iflscience.com/editors-blog/ ... -revealed/

http://worldhappiness.report/

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Happiest countries

Postby Roy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:09 am

Beaver wrote:As usual, the happiest are the Scandinavians. USA ranks 14 but ahead of Germany and UK. France didn't even make top 20. I wonder why? I'm not sure what the Best Countries Rank is.

There are polls about just about anything under the sun. Anyone who thinks that the happiness of a country can be quantified, let alone polled is dreaming.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:19 am

Roy is like Trump and only believes polls that supports his positions.

Ned Flounders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flounders » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:26 am

Roy wrote:There are polls about just about anything under the sun. Anyone who thinks that the happiness of a country can be quantified, let alone polled is dreaming.

Randomly select people and ask them the following question:
    Are you happy right now?
    (a) Yes.
    (b) No.
    (c) Not sure.
Repeat until the sample size is large enough to produce a confidence interval adequate for your purposes. Then repeat the poll in another time and/or place.

No problem.

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:33 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Roy is like Trump and only believes polls that supports his positions.

Henry is like most Leftists. He believes any polls that re-enforce his beliefs.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:01 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Roy is like Trump and only believes polls that supports his positions.

He's certainly bent over and in "position" for Trump's policies.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:33 pm

Roy wrote:
Beaver wrote:As usual, the happiest are the Scandinavians. USA ranks 14 but ahead of Germany and UK. France didn't even make top 20. I wonder why? I'm not sure what the Best Countries Rank is.

There are polls about just about anything under the sun. Anyone who thinks that the happiness of a country can be quantified, let alone polled is dreaming.

i have made bread on the side as a pollster intermittently for many years and done theoretical work on the subject and i object to the geometrically increasing sloppiness and/or tendentiousness and willingness to take money under the table accepted by media and others as acceptable when it comes to polling -- it sank h r c , after all . . .

in any case, leaving out iceland and ostensibly austria skews this poll to be sure if only a bit, and probably iran as well -- with 75 per cent of the population on opiates or the big o itself, of course *they* are the happiest . . . this islamic revolution business is an anomalous blip in the millennia-long glorious history of that civilisation and a blot on shi'ism too as many will tell u . . . otherwise the poll makes a vague kind of sense . . .

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:12 pm

Gozer. Are the Shift keys broken on your keyboard, or do you just hate to capitalize anything?

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:23 pm

Roy wrote:Gozer. Are the Shift keys broken on your keyboard, or do you just hate to capitalize anything?

writing in all caps is shouting right?

99 per cent of the time i post comes when i am as high as a kite, sometimes even during the come-up, which cannot be helped, even government doctors say so, well at least in a couple of more civilised jurisdictions . . . and the shift keys *are* on the far edges of the keyboard one must admit . . .

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:42 pm

Ok mate, just curious. LOL :mrgreen:

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:48 am

The 9 worst cities to live in the world
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 99586.html

note that number one and two had lots of help from misguided dumbfuck imperialist entangling foreign policy, and for many years baghdad and kabul traded the no 1 spot with port moresby, papua new guinea on and off . . .

i think it may soon be proven that p n g is the world's fourth-largest producer of c-jam (the areas making up next-door indonesia were number one or two as recently as 1930 i i r c and i think sri lanka actually showed up on the radar putting out a tiny quantity as recently as 10 years ago; apparently neither erythroxylum coca lamarck 1810 nor any of its other nose-candy-bearing relatives needs high elevations and mountainous terrain to grow, contrary to another one of the d e a's curious obscurantist misinformation crusades about plant-sourced recreational pharmaceuticals) -- that should help the economy at least . . .

Return to “Headlines”