Charlie FM

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Do you like Charlie FM?

Yes
14%
No
14%
Same shit, just more of it
36%
Same shit, just more of it
36%

Total votes: 36

floatingstick
Forum Addict

Postby floatingstick » Wed May 11, 2005 10:17 pm

Marge wrote:I hate to admit it but I'd probably listen to Charlie, cause it sounds like it would be bland enough to be inoffensive. Even if they don't play anything great, at least the ratio of total shit is fairly low.

To radio programmers, GMs and ad departments-- words sweeter than a Shakespearian sonnet.

jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Wed May 11, 2005 10:25 pm

Entropy's Stagger wrote:
jammybastard wrote:Honestly, I'm surprised their PD/MD Tuber is still employed, because their playlist is just a shitty.

Just a shitty WHAT?

You're choice!

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Tue May 17, 2005 11:50 pm

I gotta say, I'm a little pissed. Not trying to say "The Buzz" or commercial radio is the greatest but, we all need a default mark on the dial, or a comfort station if you will. When I used to do a roundabout on the dial and could not find anything of interest, I'd flip it to the eighties station. Much like the top 40 station is the default for many high school students, or the alternative rock station is the default for many 18-21 year olds etc., the eighties station became mine.
Local radio now has a lengthy track record of screwing over radio stations/radio programs that I liked and/or filled a particular void and were a good core idea, in some cases not lasting long enough to be fully realized.

100.5 cancels out Howard Stern
105.5 cancels out Musical Starstreams
The original 92.1 Mad radio goes soft
Lite jazz 96.3 doesn't last long
And now the buzz goes bye-bye

Madison radio has never been less cohesive.
Last edited by MadMind on Wed May 18, 2005 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Entropy's Stagger
Forum Addict

Postby Entropy's Stagger » Wed May 18, 2005 2:31 pm

Oh, the swirling crap is just getting started. You'll see. . .

Or hear rather. . .

christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Wed May 18, 2005 3:24 pm

MadMind wrote:
100.5 cancel's out Howard Stern
105.5 cancel's out Musical Starstreams

I always wondered who listened to those stations.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Wed May 18, 2005 7:54 pm

christopher_robin wrote:
MadMind wrote:100.5 cancels out Howard Stern
105.5 cancels out Musical Starstreams

I always wondered who listened to those stations.

Never said I listened on a consistent basis, but they did provide some much needed variety on Madison's commercial dial.
Isn't Charlie FM cutting awfully close to what 93.1 The Lake provides? A veritable cornucopia of back-cataloged tunes?
How many times has commercial radio in Madison overlapped genre's?
94.1 (before their switch over to modern hard rock) and 101.5 competed and flooded airwaves with the same shit.
92.1 (after Clear Channel ousted Mad Radio but before becoming Progressive talk radio) and 96.3 (after becoming the new spot for Mad radio) flooded airwaves with the same shit.
And didn't 96.3 at one point be very similar to Magic 98?
Last edited by MadMind on Wed May 18, 2005 11:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cartman69
Forum Addict

Postby Cartman69 » Wed May 18, 2005 8:35 pm

I like it, but the whole thing will be moot if I have the winning bid for a 8 track on ebay I�m going to put it in my 69 Dart; you know the car it�s the one that has a statue of Jesus that keeps it from falling apart.

lonesomejohnny
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lonesomejohnny » Wed May 18, 2005 9:42 pm

MadMind wrote:Isn't Charlie FM cutting awfully close to what 93.1 The Lake provides?

2:30pm today, Both stations were playing a Doors song!

regnad_kcin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby regnad_kcin » Thu May 19, 2005 9:56 am

MadMind wrote:Not trying to say "The Buzz" or commercial radio is the greatest but, we all need a default mark on the dial, or a comfort station if you will.

As I've said before: I use The Lake.

1. There's a 75% chance that I won't hate what's on.
2. Inoffensive to elderly, students, boomers, etc
3. Stuck in a car all day...need some lightweight kitsch like Steve Miller or Manfed Mann to keep me from going insane.

This Charlie thing sounds interesting.

femhalo
Forum Addict

Postby femhalo » Thu May 19, 2005 10:04 am

I think The Inferno should start a radio station with Playlists from Eurotic and White Rabbit

barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Thu May 19, 2005 6:38 pm

regnad_kcin wrote:
MadMind wrote:Not trying to say "The Buzz" or commercial radio is the greatest but, we all need a default mark on the dial, or a comfort station if you will.

As I've said before: I use The Lake.

1. There's a 75% chance that I won't hate what's on.
2. Inoffensive to elderly, students, boomers, etc
3. Stuck in a car all day...need some lightweight kitsch like Steve Miller or Manfed Mann to keep me from going insane.

This Charlie thing sounds interesting.

But what is with all that trivia / behind the music crap the DJs are always giving? I appreciate a little knowledge most of the time, but, good lord, sometimes they go on for minutes at a clip. I change the station, come back after a commercial and they're STILL yammering on about Dark Side of the Moon and the Wizard of Oz.

regnad_kcin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby regnad_kcin » Thu May 19, 2005 9:49 pm

I listened today!

I heard GnR's "Patience" followed by Tina Turner's "Private Dancer"! Then I lapsed into a diabetic coma.

Seriously, this "we play everything" gimmick doesn't jive.

Twinner
Forum Addict

Postby Twinner » Fri May 20, 2005 11:19 am

jammybastard wrote:I wonder how WMMM is holding up these days.
Honestly, I'm surprised their PD/MD Tuber is still employed, because their playlist is just a shitty.

Amen to that.

sha1618
Forum Addict

Postby sha1618 » Sat May 21, 2005 8:24 pm

Cartman69 wrote:I like it, but the whole thing will be moot if I have the winning bid for a 8 track on ebay I�m going to put it in my 69 Dart; you know the car it�s the one that has a statue of Jesus that keeps it from falling apart.

My mom had a 69 or 70 green dodge dart. I remember radio being a lot more important to my 12-13 year old self than it is now. I would demand to hear the end of certain songs and refused to get out of the car until they were finished....

Entropy's Stagger
Forum Addict

Postby Entropy's Stagger » Mon May 23, 2005 3:39 pm

barney wrote:But what is with all that trivia / behind the music crap the DJs are always giving? I appreciate a little knowledge most of the time, but, good lord, sometimes they go on for minutes at a clip. I change the station, come back after a commercial and they're STILL yammering on about Dark Side of the Moon and the Wizard of Oz.

That's what I like about the Lake. THe music stories. I guess it's not for everyone. Some folks don't give a shit about music facts and odd stories. That's what WIBA is for. Just the music and senseless yappin' rednecks. Well, except for O'Connor. He's cool. And Alice.

Return to “Town Vibe”