"Downtown" Madison (and "Central" Park)

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: "Downtown" Madison (and "Central" Park)

Postby snoqueen » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:23 pm

Ducatista wrote:
snoqueen wrote:The Tribecan Tribe, otherwise known as the Target Audience.

Ah. I think you might be speaking to an empty room.

I kinda had that feeling, given the way I think the age curve on the forum seems to skew.

...plenty of people in Madison have large, irregularly shaped comfort zones. I love that.

So do I. Mine's got this peninsula that goes up to the north side, and a second peninsula reaching toward Monona. On the other hand, somewhere past Syene Rd is a label that says "here there be dragons" and I hardly ever go out that direction unless I'm trying to get to Spring Green. Everybody's got these mental maps, seems like.

As for cocktails vs. mixed drinks: most of the jack & coke folks I know don't look down their noses at the sidecar drinkers, and vice versa.

I was thinking of it more as an interesting linguistic quirk than a hard line between drink preferences, but whatever.

As far as I'm concerned, if there isn't interesting beer on hand, then I'll have something made with gin. Call it what you like.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:14 pm

gargantua wrote:We frequent many of the same places, so we've probably seen each other without knowing it.

Next time I go out I'm gonna yell "gargantua!" at the top of my lungs and see if anybody answers.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:14 pm

Ducatista wrote:
gargantua wrote:We frequent many of the same places, so we've probably seen each other without knowing it.

Next time I go out I'm gonna yell "gargantua!" at the top of my lungs and see if anybody answers.

Damn. I didn't see this at the time or I would have listened harder.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:29 pm

This is the second 2014 thread you've randomly responded to.

Are you just reading through old stuff or did you actually go back in time?

Or am I in the future?

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:59 pm

Reading through old stuff. Actually, skimming is a better description. Not a lot of current activity.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:41 pm

The signal-to-noise ratio around here has gotten pretty bad.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:49 pm

snoqueen wrote:The signal-to-noise ratio around here has gotten pretty bad.

Noise? That comes pretty cheaply:

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:19 pm

Initial neighborhood reaction positive on Williamson Street development proposal
http://host.madison.com/ct/business/ini ... 5f39c.html
Wish I could afford to live there.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:39 pm

Bwis53 wrote:Initial neighborhood reaction positive on Williamson Street development proposal

Are you sure you can't? The article said below market rate rents, but didn't put a dollar figure on it. I certainly like the area.

willystresident
Forum Addict

Postby willystresident » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:41 am

Bwis53 wrote:Initial neighborhood reaction positive on Williamson Street development proposal

Too much surface parking. Should be taller and with more units, and the new building should be oriented to Willy Street not MGE's power plant.

The problem with that site is that its too hard to underground structured parking, so you have to build up. But when you build up, the boomers who want Willy to stay as it was in the 1970's come out of the woodwork and couch their NIMBYism in thinly veiled concerns about neighborhood character, which apparently means maintaining surface parking in the downtown of Wisconsin's second largest economy.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:11 am

1) you can't orient the proposed building toward Willy St because the Olds building is in between.

Actually orienting buildings and complexes more than one way works well for the Constellation, so it's not impossible on these through-the-block lots. If the Olds building is on one front and the apartments facing north are on another what's the problem? The bike path isn't a car street, but it's a great access for people on foot and on bikes.

The living units facing north would be delightfully quiet, and the high ceilinged loft units in the Olds building sound great, with lots of light.

2) the old power plant is being decommissioned in the near future and could turn into a better view than it offers today.

3) real question: does it make sense to build a great deal of parking underground or in ramps if we're seeing a reduction in car ownership and use among younger people? Maybe surface parking is more future oriented because, as car ownership declines, something else can be done with the old parking lots fairly easily. Worth discussing.

We do need fire truck and rescue access to the part of the building that faces the bike path, so maybe the surface parking serves that purpose. The fire department has to sign off on these plans, and they pretty much hold a veto.

I like the height proposal as it is. I love the Galaxy and the Constellation but they don't belong everywhere. I think they'd look clumsy and out of place on the lot in question, though to be fair they'd meet the requirement of not putting existing buildings in shadow large parts of the day/year because there's not much on anything to the north (where shadows are an issue).

willystresident
Forum Addict

Postby willystresident » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:00 pm

1) You could put the new building in front with the parking in back.

2) They switched to gas in 2011, so my guess is they have another 20 years before they'll think about leaving.

3) Yeah after I wrote that I thought about your #3, and I think that could be a benefit of keeping surface parking. But, the issue with that site is in order to not have the building mass pushing up against Willy St you had to put the height in the back against MGE. So, if in 20 years we have mass adoption of driverless cars/BRT/intercity rail, something could go up on that lot. But it won't have as many units as the old proposal, because the back lot will have been developed. The city needs more units, both to make renting more affordable and to increase the tax base.

The Gebhart developments on E Wash aren't super pretty, but for that we can place blame on the Capitol Gateway Build Plan's design guidelines, which codify 1990's and early 2000's design principles. Bark design did an ok job with what they could do, and then you have UDC, the neighborhoods, and a value-engineering contractor slowly eating away at the architects vision (for example, looking at the rendering for StartingBlock, I can tell that the glass curtin wall they show is too expensive for what they're going to be getting in rent). The Willy Build Plan is similarly crappy.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:32 pm

snoqueen wrote:...does it make sense to build a great deal of parking underground or in ramps if we're seeing a reduction in car ownership and use among younger people?

It's already happening.

Just over 3 in 4 people who were 20 to 24 years old in 2014 had a driver's license, according to a new report from the University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute.

The exact figure — 76.7% — represented a sharp decline from 79.7% in 2011, 82% in 2008 and 91.8% in 1983, according to the report by Michael Sivak and Brandon Schoettle.

Quite simply, cars are becoming less important or less accessible to Millennials.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:01 pm

Good points but the real test is how many of those 20-24 yr olds stay car free by the time they are 30?

This came up on "Shark Tank" last week.

willystresident
Forum Addict

Postby willystresident » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:21 pm

bdog wrote:Good points but the real test is how many of those 20-24 yr olds stay car free by the time they are 30?

This came up on "Shark Tank" last week.

Once that Festival Foods opens on E Wash/Livingston? Probably a lot more than would otherwise.

Return to “Town Vibe”