"Downtown" Madison (and "Central" Park)

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
IrisTramm

Re: "Downtown" Madison (and "Central" Park)

Postby IrisTramm » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:57 pm

Ducatista wrote:TRIangle BEhind the CApitol was too hard to resist, I guess.

They could have resisted.

I know Nick from his Milk Money days and love him dearly, but I'd be disappointed to learn he was behind this choice of a ... uh ... neighborhood name. I mean, really? Doesn't EVERY N, S, E, W, corner around the square consist of a "TRIangle BEhind the CApitol"? (Two triangles, actually.) The original "Be" in "TriBeCa" came from "below", not behind, which makes more sense if you're trying to be geographically oriented. But the capitol building in Madison is symmetrical, is it not? There is no "behind". And even if you equated "South" with "below" or "behind", Madison's "TriBeCa" is not to the South, it's to the East.

I guess TriEaCa didn't sound as cliched?

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:48 am

Don't worry -- it'll never catch on because few people around here think sounding New Yorky is that cute.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:36 pm

Wow, you guys have managed to out-smug hipsters. Impressive.

Sno, you wouldn't know it because you're not the target audience, but it has caught on as tongue-in-cheek shorthand for the scene in question.

They get their nickname, cooler-than-thou curmudgeons get to make a sour face, everybody wins.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:51 pm

Ducatista wrote:Wow, you guys have managed to out-smug hipsters. Impressive.

Sno, you wouldn't know it because you're not the target audience, but it has caught on as tongue-in-cheek shorthand for the scene in question.

They get their nickname, cooler-than-thou curmudgeons get to make a sour face, everybody wins.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:52 pm

IrisTramm wrote:I mean, really? Doesn't EVERY N, S, E, W, corner around the square consist of a "TRIangle BEhind the CApitol"? (Two triangles, actually.)

They mention an east and a west Tribeca on their Facebook page.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:04 pm

I'll cop to wanting Union Corners to be called Battery Park because of the old Rayovac plant, but a Madison Tribeca is a stretch. It'll take a LONG time for it to be a self-evident nickname. Adherents, prepare to either explain it every time you use it, or just be serially non-understood.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:07 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:It'll take a LONG time for it to be a self-evident nickname.

I just talked to someone who works in "Tribeca" and they've never heard that before.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:13 pm

Stebben84 wrote:I just talked to someone who works in "Tribeca" and they've never heard that before.

Along the same line, does anyone know someone who refers to the Square as the Concourse?

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:19 pm

Ducatista wrote:

I'd have to agree I m not the target audience, but exactly who is?

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:32 pm

snoqueen wrote:I'd have to agree I'm not the target audience, but exactly who is?

People who enjoy cocktails and music (usually after 10, DJs mostly, sometimes live) at Maduro, Merchant, Nattspil, Madison's, Majestic, and the summer concert series on King Street. A little further afield: Shamrock, Genna's, Cardinal.

Stebben84 wrote:I just talked to someone who works in "Tribeca" and they've never heard that before.

Sure, lots of people haven't—including most people who don't fit the audience description above, and probably quite a few who do.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:20 pm

Funny how for social purposes, Madison is pretty much a checkerboard of small towns. Whenever I do anything, it seems to happen on Atwood or Willy St.

I bet you guys never come down here, and a lot of the people down here never go up there. Totally without prejudice -- it's just where we go.

Next question: on the Atwood-Willy side, is it called a mixed drink, or a cocktail? I'm not sure I ever heard anybody order a cocktail down here, but we run through plenty of mixed drinks.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:59 am

snoqueen wrote:I bet you guys never come down here, and a lot of the people down here never go up there.

Who's "you guys"?

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:15 am

The Tribecan Tribe, otherwise known as the Target Audience.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:46 am

snoqueen wrote:The Tribecan Tribe, otherwise known as the Target Audience.

Ah. I think you might be speaking to an empty room.

I'm not the Tribeca audience. I do spend time at Maduro, but rarely after 10. I'm much more likely to go to the Weary or Mickey's or One Barrel or Malt House than Nattspil or Merchant, and I've never set foot in Madison's. I've played more Willy St Fairs and Atwood Summerfests than I can count, including the time we opened for Art Paul who opened for the Pet Contest. (Not a high point.)

There's a ton of scene mixing, which is how I, a beer-swilling oldster, know about that particular late-night downtown music scene. It's fine that you don't typically venture outside your comfort zone... most of us don't. But plenty of people in Madison have large, irregularly shaped comfort zones. I love that.

As for cocktails vs. mixed drinks: most of the jack & coke folks I know don't look down their noses at the sidecar drinkers, and vice versa.

But it's OK to judge, right? Snobby populists, like uptight hippies, are part of what make Madison Madison.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:26 pm

We frequent many of the same places, so we've probably seen each other without knowing it. I did set foot in Madison's....once. It wasn't horrible or anything, just not my scene.

Madison really is kind of a patchwork of neighborhoods, which may partially explain why neighborhood groups have a stronger interest than some would like on development issues.

I live in a near-west-side neighborhood I really like, but I tend to do most of my eating out and socializing on the near east side. Better beer scene for one thing, and cooler neighborhood festivals. The road construction and resulting traffic this summer makes it suck to be me though.

Return to “Town Vibe”