"Downtown" Madison (and "Central" Park)

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Re: "Downtown" Madison (and "Central" Park)

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:50 pm

Ducatista wrote:Sure it is. We already have a TriBeCa.

First time I've ever heard that term.

Ducatista wrote:You Blair St people: you really don't consider Tenney and Orton to be downtown parks? Hell, a third of James Madison is east of Blair.

I'm only using this as a loose guide. I can't say the minute you walk past Blair you're NOT downtown, but I myself don't consider as far out as the Yahara. For instance, if I'm going to Mickey's bar, I wouldn't say to someone I'm going downtown. JM park I could argue is downtown. Orton and Tenney, no.

Downtown is a term primarily used in North America by English speakers to refer to a city's core (or center) or CBD (Central Business District)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downtown

IMO most of it has to do with economic density. You get as far out as Tenney and you have none of that.

But Hawk does have a point in that I live pretty close to the downtown area so my perception is skewed. I think the farther away you live the bigger the downtown gets.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:57 pm

Ducatista wrote:
Stebben84 wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:Is Madison big enough for directional nicknames yet?

No.

Sure it is. We already have a TriBeCa.

Oy. I'm fighting the douche chills and failing miserably.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:17 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Oy. I'm fighting the douche chills and failing miserably.
You should preheat your douche.

grumpybear
Forum Addict

Postby grumpybear » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:35 pm

I have lived across from Tenney Park for 20 years. I would say that the downtown has expanded slightly and central Madison
has expanded quite a bit, especially in density.
Downtown - Blair St to Park St, beyond that is campus or near west side or simply west and beyond.
Central Madison - the Yahara River/canal to about Randall St. If you are heading south, I would cut off at Regent St.
The Central area is much bigger than downtown and growing rapidly denser outside of the downtown part. Central citizens regularly visit downtown and have less and less reason to go to west towne or east towne. The central residents are able to find most of their shopping/food/bar needs close to home.
That said, I wish Ace Hardware would expand and take over the entire Tandem Press building. That would be a Central eastsiders' dream.
Summing up, Central Park is in the middle of (a hopefully) emergent Central Madison.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:41 pm

If you're counting downtown parks, what about BB Clark?

Also Reynolds park (soccer field thing by Breese Stevens, which is also a park of sorts), which is in the 800 block so if you count Orton you need to count Reynolds. The park behind the Presbyterians on the lake is in the 900s.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:24 pm

This is really subjective. I think we're really talking about two areas. One is downtown, which, while I hate to agree with Flanders, really is pretty much Blair to Bedford. The other is the central city, and that, my friends, stretches from Camp Randall to the Yahara River. From Camp Randall to about Whitney Way is near west, and First Street east to about Trixie's on East Wash is near east.

Thus sayeth the six decades ago born and raised in Madison geographer.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:06 pm

grumpybear wrote:I have lived across from Tenney Park for 20 years. I would say that the downtown has expanded ...Central Madison - the Yahara River/canal to about Randall St. If you are heading south, I would cut off at Regent St.
The Central area is much bigger than downtown and growing rapidly denser outside of the downtown part. ... I wish Ace Hardware would expand and take over the entire Tandem Press building.
That's a good synopsis, GB. But I really wish that hardware store would abandon it's Ace Overlord to adopt another way.

(A kickstarter project, maybe?)

I will say it's the best Ace franchise ever, but my experience with Ace in general, leads me to believe all franchises are eventually channelled into the drop chute to Inutility Hell.

That is, when you need a 20mm stainless-steel bolt with a 10mm hexagonal head, and a high tensile strength — all they have to offer are generic steel lawn tables, "powder-coated in an array of vibrant TerraTone hues."

("Just the bolt, thank you. And you can keep the opaque plasitc baggie.")

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:49 pm

I grew up partially, in Middleton (Hubbard Ave.) from about 1954 to 1959. It was a treat for me, to get on one of those old buses (with the Coke cap on the front), with my mom, to go "downtown". It was a really nice ride, down University Ave., past Spring Harbor, past the apple orchards, with the little cottages, past Mapleside, past the old Ch.21, past the old UW greenhouses (when University was a two-way street) past the old doll hospital, onto State St. (that great street) and Downtown Square. I always thought of "Downtown" as the Square and State Street. Everything else was the isthmus and neighborhoods.

I am Jack's PO Box

Postby I am Jack's PO Box » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:07 am

Stebben84 wrote:I think the farther away you live the bigger the downtown gets.

Makes sense. To my almost-in-Verona west-side-dwelling friends, my house is downtown, despite it being located in a near-west neighborhood.

I think my out-of-town relatives consider anything between East Towne and West Towne to be "downtown", if only because they find the 1 way streets and irregular grid pattern confusing.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:11 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:

Grumpy old man.

Nick Nice et al have built up a great little music scene on that side of the Square. Hipster, sure, but refreshingly unironic.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:24 pm

Ducatista wrote:Nick Nice et al have built up a great little music scene on that side of the Square.

Did they really have to call it Tribeca?

Regardless, they do have a great music line up this summer.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:29 pm

TRIangle BEhind the CApitol was too hard to resist, I guess.

It occurred to me that I might be considering "downtown" to mean within leisurely walking distance. Sure enough, the Yahara (my turnaround point for eastward walks) and Elm Drive (turnaround for campus walks) are each 1.7 miles from my door.

I can get behind Park<—>Blair as downtown,
and Randall<—>Yahara as central.

grumpybear
Forum Addict

Postby grumpybear » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:40 pm

fennel wrote:
grumpybear wrote:I have lived across from Tenney Park for 20 years. I would say that the downtown has expanded ...Central Madison - the Yahara River/canal to about Randall St. If you are heading south, I would cut off at Regent St.
The Central area is much bigger than downtown and growing rapidly denser outside of the downtown part. ... I wish Ace Hardware would expand and take over the entire Tandem Press building.
That's a good synopsis, GB. But I really wish that hardware store would abandon it's Ace Overlord to adopt another way.

(A kickstarter project, maybe)

Great idea.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:17 am

Ducatista wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:

Grumpy old man.

Nick Nice et al have built up a great little music scene on that side of the Square. Hipster, sure, but refreshingly unironic.

Pretty off topic, but you need to check out his uber-douchey video produced by a real estate company to peddle high-end condos in my 'hood:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... 3RiV9zJfCk

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:25 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Pretty off topic, but you need to check out his uber-douchey video produced by a real estate company to peddle high-end condos in my 'hood:

That was beyond awful.

Return to “Town Vibe”