House hunting

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Re: House hunting

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:49 pm

It came to me. You beat me here.

(seriously, they couldn't squeeze this line into the last page?)

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:58 pm

narcoleptish wrote:It came to me. You beat me here.

(seriously, they couldn't squeeze this line into the last page?)

I wonder if shrinking the font would have worked.
I usually hate awnings, but these actually do look nice. I'd likely get rid of them too. I might give them a chance to see if they actually do steal enough light to bother me before deciding though.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:33 pm

narcoleptish wrote:I've always thought this was a nice looking house. https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/5 ... ect/14_zm/ (I've forgotten how to link a word. Don't bother reminding me, it won't stick.)

Has only been listed for 9 days and it has a Sold sign on it today. Guessing it went for asking (360K) or more, which seems a little high for a busy corner lot. I can definitely see the good points though... permanent lake view, the park itself, walkable to CG rd. businesses and even Atwood really, across from the Tiki Bar!

Pretty sweet basement recroom and laundry room. Nice private patio area.

I'm pretty familiar with that house. When it was built it was quite the showplace, with Lannon stone and expansive lake views (before they built apartments across the street). It's got a lovely fireplace in a sunny, roomy living room, and the other rooms are decent sized and graciously proportioned as well.

The present owners made some sensible improvements after it stood empty awhile, but it still has only one (downstairs) bath while two bedrooms are upstairs, and all the (very large and original) windows ought to be replaced if you ask me. At the very least, I hope the buyer checked the house's energy usage before writing an offer. If the new buyer has the money to put in, the house is worth it if you don't mind the rush hour traffic.

This house was listed privately quite a while before it sold -- I don't know what efforts, if any, the seller put into marketing before the pros stepped in.

Take off the garage and the fireplace, and the Schofield St house is pretty much the same as the one I live in. Lots of similar, solid houses on the east side (including the Atwood one discussed above) were built 1940-42. They're usually not large (Atwood notwithstanding), the layout is rational, many have poured concrete basements not concrete block, they have real hardwood floors, and they're easy to work on because the plumbing and HVAC are all accessible right in the basement.

I think the Schofield house is a little overpriced too, but if it is more or less as shown, it'd be great for a young family. If I didn't already have one, I'd take it.

The Tonyawatha house isn't all bad, but is that right-hand garage in front an afterthought? Is a part of the living room with two mismatched windows located above one of the garages? There better be a nice thick layer of insulation between the cold and noisy garage and whatever room is above.

I can't really figure out the whole place, but if you don't mind a lot of remodeling and repurposing of rooms, maybe it's right for you. It looks like there's almost a whole separate apartment on the lower level, except for a kitchen. Air b-n-b potential? Pay your mortgage off early! Why aren't realtors jumping up and down to promote this, along with solar potential?

I like the yard and the little garden shed, from what I can tell. Lake views are not lake frontage, but they're still nice and are much more affordable.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:22 pm

Wow, I didn't even notice that the Atwood house only had one bathroom. 2700 sq ft and 1 bath seems odd. I wonder if the basement is included in that footage? The city site is down so I can't investigate. Seems like a lot for what I'm seeing.

It has to at least have an under-the-basement-stairs toilet. I would not pay 360K for one bathroom unless it had 10 acres.

Beard
Forum Addict

Postby Beard » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:34 am

narcoleptish wrote:Wow, I didn't even notice that the Atwood house only had one bathroom. 2700 sq ft and 1 bath seems odd. I wonder if the basement is included in that footage? The city site is down so I can't investigate. Seems like a lot for what I'm seeing.

It has to at least have an under-the-basement-stairs toilet. I would not pay 360K for one bathroom unless it had 10 acres.

There's a lot to like about that house but the location is a deal breaker for me. It's nice that the driveway doesn't back out onto Atwood itself but it is still a much busier location than I would want. I'd like it a lot more if it were even one lot further off of Atwood. A block or two more would be perfect. It really doesn't have a lake view, it has a busy street/apartment complex/parking lot view from the side of the house. The view from the living room is of the house where the suicide portion of this murder/suicide occurred. Coincidentally, that house also sold relatively recently.

I could (and do) live with a single bathroom but at that price it seems like a big negative.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:53 am

narcoleptish wrote:Wow, I didn't even notice that the Atwood house only had one bathroom. 2700 sq ft and 1 bath seems odd. I wonder if the basement is included in that footage? The city site is down so I can't investigate. Seems like a lot for what I'm seeing.

The city says the living area footage is 2226 not including anything in the basement. Realtors count everything they possibly can, so if there were a downstairs toilet you can be sure they'd say so. Looking at the second floor, which is the size of a barn, you'd think a second bath could be fit in somehow, hopefully stacked over the first floor bath. But the new buyer would have to make that happen.

The ownership record on the city page is interesting. Apparently this was the Miller house going all the way back before records were digitized (usually late 70s). That accounts for its generally original condition with no structural alterations and even the original kitchen cabinets (very recently painted white, but still -- solid wood cabinets in the style of the rest of the house are pretty much a prize).

I hope the new buyer respects what he's got here, but you never can tell.

The suicide house across the street seems to change owners every two years, in contrast. It too has lots of interesting original features (not the kitchen, though) and I always wonder if it's just got a permanent case of bad vibes.

Beard
Forum Addict

Postby Beard » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:06 pm

Beard wrote:
Here's another one in the "kind of Maple Bluff" area

It's on a cul de sac that butts up against Warner Park and appears to be in pretty good shape. It looks like a funeral home but $370k gets you almost 4k sq ft.Still, that area between the train tracks and Sherman isn't the greatest spot.

The price just keeps dropping on this one. It was originally listed at $429k in November of 2016. It's now at $349,000 and the description starts with, "THIS HOME CAN PAY FOR ITSELF If you enjoy a lifestyle with roommates this home can provide all of your payments and upkeep costs."

Beard
Forum Addict

Postby Beard » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:17 pm

Meanwhile in Oshkosh you can get this for $225k. Unfortunately, you'd be living in Oshkosh.

Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:29 pm

Beard wrote:
Beard wrote:
Here's another one in the "kind of Maple Bluff" area

It's on a cul de sac that butts up against Warner Park and appears to be in pretty good shape. It looks like a funeral home but $370k gets you almost 4k sq ft.Still, that area between the train tracks and Sherman isn't the greatest spot.

The price just keeps dropping on this one. It was originally listed at $429k in November of 2016. It's now at $349,000 and the description starts with, "THIS HOME CAN PAY FOR ITSELF If you enjoy a lifestyle with roommates this home can provide all of your payments and upkeep costs."

You could probably make more money running it as a funeral home rather than a boarding house.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:29 pm

That house by Warner Park is advertised as having eight parking spaces.

What in the world was it before somebody left and put it up for sale? A motel? Two parking spaces per bedroom is weird.

Future air b-n-b, once again.

Some of these ugly oversize peculiar houses are close to unmarketable as a single family residence in 2018.

PS-- spell check in its wisdom just tried changing that to Warner Bros.

msnflyer
Forum Addict

Postby msnflyer » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:10 pm

Close to the dog park, boat launch, and beach. Would make a nice multi-generation family house.

Beard
Forum Addict

Postby Beard » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:40 am

The Schofield house has a Contract Pending sign up after having one open house.

Beard
Forum Addict

Postby Beard » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:44 am

snoqueen wrote:That house by Warner Park is advertised as having eight parking spaces.

I just looked at a satellite view of the neighborhood. 8 parking spaces seems to be code for big driveway.

It's a two car garage and you could probably squeeze six cars into the driveway. Of the 8 cars, 6 would be parked in.

Beard
Forum Addict

Postby Beard » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:13 pm

Here's another new listing in Monona. 2700 sq ft., 4 bed, 3 bath. $489k.

I don't think that this house could be any more 1992. Wall paper, oak furniture, foyer, cathedral ceilings, blue carpeting, vinyl flooring, laminate counter tops, floral valances, shiny brass light fixtures, whirlpool bathtub and a wall mounted phone with a cord, this house has it all!

I have to believe that there's a Super Nintendo hooked up to at least one of those CRT TVs.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:53 pm

True, the decor is hella-dated, but the basic floor plan is OK. If you wanted to put about $40-50k into it, you could completely transform it, assuming the basic structure of the house is sound.

Return to “Town Vibe”