House hunting

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Re: House hunting

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:35 pm

Uuuugh! I've driven by this little mid-century mod a couple times a year for awhile and it's always looked empty. Figuring I couldn't swing even entry-level Maple Bluff prices I hoped it would go up for sale someday so I could at least check out the open house.

Unfortunately it's been whitewashed. Every single interior MCM detail is either gone or painted white. They even had the nerve to give it an orange door, fooling you into thinking the inside might have a little verve.

http://www.starkhomes.com/property/5590 ... f-WI-53704

That kitchen backsplash is going to be outdated before the closing.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:06 am

Ugh. It's a ghost house. You could never get all that paint off.

Al least it has real floors, not black ones. I wonder how they missed that.

Dang flippers.

I love the name Del Mar Drive, though. It even sounds midcentury.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:48 am

They even covered the original fireplace. It's the dominant feature on the outside and that attractive stone would have done a lot to balance the blank fucking interior, but no, let's just throw some drywall over it.

I'm sure the Realtor will regale future Bluffers with the tale of how only the finest materials were used to justify the 350K difference from what the flippers paid last summer.

Like that Home Depot bath faucet they did the close-up on.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GROHE-Eurost ... /203123308

Eurostyle !

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:22 am

I think The Art & Architecture Thesaurus should add "Early 21st Century Ghost House" as an acknowledged descriptor.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:21 pm

narcoleptish wrote:I could see a modernist addition on the back with lots of glass and deck space overlooking the lake. And a garage. And a tunnel down to the lakeshore. Tunnels are so fucking cool.

Ooh, yes to all! Wanna go halvesies? We'd have to tunnel through the UW Lifesaving bunker, though. Which would be a selling point of the house for me, btw, watching Harvey speed off to rescues. Kind of like Flight for Life, but quieter and less dire (usually).

Our last apartment had a tunnel to the house next door, walled off mid way. On our side it was just a jumble of crap, but the owner of the other house had turned his half into a wine cellar.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:24 pm

narcoleptish wrote:Unfortunately it's been whitewashed. Every single interior MCM detail is either gone or painted white. They even had the nerve to give it an orange door, fooling you into thinking the inside might have a little verve.

http://www.starkhomes.com/property/5590 ... f-WI-53704

I gasped out loud when I clicked that link.

When I die and go to hell all the rooms will be white, all the surfaces shiny.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:57 pm

Ducatista wrote:Our last apartment had a tunnel to the house next door, walled off mid way. On our side it was just a jumble of crap, but the owner of the other house had turned his half into a wine cellar.

Dickenson St. ? I've never seen it but someone told me about something like that there.

I'd give anything for a tunnel or a bomb shelter, I just love that shit. I know some lake houses have tunnels to the boathouse and the artist Aaron Bohrod's house in Monona had a tunnel going to his studio. Quivey's Grove has a sweet tunnel.

Or a cave on the property. A cave would be perfectly adequate for me.

The house we're in is from prime bomb shelter times and when we drove up to see it I was really hoping for that bonus room. But no...

Anyone on here have a bomb shelter in the backyard? My relatives had a house on Hilton Dr that had what was supposed to be a bomb shelter built in the basement but it was basically a room in the middle with 7' cement walls. Lying across the top of these walls were a double layer of basic 2x8s and stacked on top of those were 2 layers of solid cement blocks. So if the 2x8s broke from the shockwave of an explosion you had several thousand pounds of cement blocks falling in on you.

I'd love to have sat through the sales pitch for that thing

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:05 pm

narcoleptish wrote:Anyone on here have a bomb shelter in the backyard?

Not me, but my grandpa did in Port Washington. He built it in the late 50s. Grandma used it to store the vegetables she canned.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:25 pm

Which begs the question, suppose you have to use the bomb shelter for its intended purpose. Would you? Seems pointless to me. **Cue Debbie Downer music**

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:29 pm

narcoleptish wrote:Dickenson St. ?

Spaight, up near the top.

narcoleptish wrote:Anyone on here have a bomb shelter in the backyard?

My niece recently bought a midcentury palace (it has a name, for crying out loud) that has a bomb shelter, nice enough for parties/sleepovers. Well, I suppose they usually are, if you were supposed to live there till the radiation cleared.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:42 pm

What would you do once you were in your bomb shelter was a big discussion topic in the cold war era. Would you try and help your neighbors by sharing canned goods, or just shoot them? (Related question, would you put guns in your shelter or would that just attract thieves and set you up for even worse problems?) How long until you could climb out? How much water/toilet paper/whatever would you need for two weeks, or two years?

Even more interesting was what I do NOT remember in the discussion: if your family has the supposed average 2.5 kids, how in the world are they going to amuse themselves all day in an 8 x 10 underground closet for an indefinite period of time?

My folks' 1960 house had a sort of a shelter thing under the front porch -- it was a poured concrete crawl space and the general thought was you stayed in there while whatever-it-was blew over, then used the food supplies and equipment stored in the rest of the basement. The arrangement doubled as a tornado shelter and would actually have been a decent one. We saw enough tornado aftermaths to take that part seriously, and had sort of a procedure sketched out if we needed to use it. My father was mildly into the Boy Scout "be prepared" concept, though a large part of it focused on knowing how to tie different knots. He did have a ham radio station in the basement and a very tall antenna outside, and I remember his call letters to this day. Once I recall him being all excited because he'd connected with another ham operator in South Africa, and you have to admit that's impressive in a pre-internet reality.

The 50s bomb shelter craze was as nutty as could be, but at least it distracted people and kept them occupied. The whole concept is still alive and well with today's preppers and their various factions. A Mormon friend of mine tells me prepping is a major big deal among her faith community, especially but not exclusively out west.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:21 pm

narcoleptish wrote:Like that Home Depot bath faucet they did the close-up on.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GROHE-Eurost ... /203123308

Eurostyle !

That cracked me up.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:48 pm

My favorite bomb shelter thing was Donald Fagen's New Frontier video. Almost made WW3 look attractive.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:39 pm

Ducatista wrote:My niece recently bought a midcentury palace (it has a name, for crying out loud) that has a bomb shelter, nice enough for parties/sleepovers.

Named MCM palace AND a bomb shelter! You're killing me here!

I hate your niece. I'm guessing she's out in Palm Springs. Probably bought Bob Hope's old place.

http://www.luxuryportfolio.com/Property ... state/MRJQ

uwstudent
Forum Addict

Postby uwstudent » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:33 am

Bob Hope lived there? It looks like some home from the future. I expected to see a robot standing there serving drinks.

Return to “Town Vibe”