House hunting

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Re: House hunting

Postby Ducatista » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:11 pm

A couple bracing price tags at 100 WI:

1101, $1.35 mil

1203, $775K

Note to first Weber: your overcompressed photos look like crap, especially for 1101.

Mostly hate the decor in both, but 1203 photos K & L make me happy, because I've been thinking about scrapping our stove in favor of a 2-burner cooktop and separate oven. I cook a lot, including many, many thanksgiving dinners, and I have never used more than two burners at once. Hell, if I wanted to be sure I never got caught short, I could buy a nice induction hotplate and keep it in the basement. Would need a 2-bowl sink, though. I don't get the 1-bowl thing. Worse yet: farmhouse, WTF.

We're also talking about eliminating our dining area in favor of more kitchen, because again, we've never, EVER used it as a dining room. The table serves as my occasional desk, and when we have people over for dinner, it's a staging area. I'm told that no DR can reduce resale value, to which I say: we didn't buy this place as an investment (though it's been a great one), we bought it as a home. And our home does not need a dining room.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:14 am

I think it's an even crazier sellers market than predicted. I know two different people who sold (their house) in one day.

Let's see what a quarter million doesn't get you on the near east side this spring. In the Atwood area it doesn't get you a garage or more than one bath.

http://www.starkhomes.com/property/1074 ... n-WI-53704

http://www.starkhomes.com/property/1104 ... n-WI-53704

In Tenney/Lapham it won't even get you a driveway.

http://www.starkhomes.com/property/1103 ... n-WI-53703

Here's a deal if you go north of the bike path.

http://www.starkhomes.com/property/7302 ... n-WI-53704

However 159K will get you a cozy little Ray P. special in need of just a little TLC.

http://www.starkhomes.com/property/5586 ... n-WI-53703

I feel extremely lucky to not be in this market, as a buyer.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:51 am

I agree with that! Some day, in the not too distant future, I'll be both a buyer and a seller. I'll get to experience it being great and really sucking at the same time.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:11 am

Ducatista wrote:I've been thinking about scrapping our stove in favor of a 2-burner cooktop and separate oven. I cook a lot, including many, many thanksgiving dinners, and I have never used more than two burners at once. Hell, if I wanted to be sure I never got caught short, I could buy a nice induction hotplate and keep it in the basement.
I wouldn't want to have fewer than three burners, and during canning season we'll use four burners. But that involves an induction cooktop alongside, since standard burners are usually placed too close together. We never ever use the bottom warming drawer, but we sometimes make use of the oven's exhaust vent at the back of the cooktop to keep pots warm.

Weird oblong burner in the middle: Never been used.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:28 am

I can say with considerable confidence I've never used more than two burners at once unless there were two people trying to cook at the same time, which is a situation to be avoided at all costs anyway.

They should sell more stoves with just a couple burners -- now that people are losing interest in McMansions and no longer prepare sit down family dinners much at all, giant kitchens are going to have about the same resale value as swimming pools. A few will always want them, but many more will not.

The price on that Corry St. house is delusional if you ask me, but it can't hurt to try. This sales season is opening at a pretty high price point. Already, two houses within a couple blocks of mine and with just two real bedrooms apiece (I'm ignoring half-height attic spaces only suitable for very short residents) have sold immediately at >$250k. The open houses for both had a lot of viewers, mostly young couples. Seller's market fer sure.

I will be interested to see what finally happens to that last (or almost-last) Ray P house on Schley Pass. Isn't Schley Pass in some special district where you can't tear anything down? The middle one of five identical houses supposedly put up by the railroad for employees long ago (1910 -- I just checked), that place was never intended to last more than 100 years. Maybe some clever and skilled visionary will make something of it, but there are surely good reasons nobody's bought it so far.

And that state warehouse in the next block is starting to shape up. I give the architects credit for a design that isn't ugly at all, which would have been the default for a warehouse. Thank you, somebody.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:36 am

The Knapp House on E. Gilman is for sale by the UW. Bids close on April 26 at 3pm, better hurry.

Known issues: asbestos, unpermitted updates, contamination by radon or lead or mold (the condition report is a little vague on that), and the velvet handcuffs that go along with historic designation.

I spent a night in that house back in the late 80s. I thought it was an apartment, but apparently since the '50s it's been a rooming house for scholars — Marie Christine Kohler Fellows, to be precise. Huh. The guy I went there with didn't seem particularly scholarly.

If I had limitless funds it might be appealing... except that the lake view is pretty much a tunnel straight ahead, hemmed in on one side by The Lakeshore apartments and on the other by Verex. That's how it seems from the sidewalk, anyway.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:58 am

narcoleptish wrote:In Tenney/Lapham it won't even get you a driveway.

http://www.starkhomes.com/property/1103 ... n-WI-53703

That photo gallery is a lesson in perspective. We lived at 1233 E. Dayton for a few years, so I know how great some of the backyards are on that block. The yard is probably a paradise for the current owners, a favorite feature of the house. But in the pictures it looks a mess — something you'd need to address rather than a selling point. Or maybe that's just me? Does it look appealing to anybody else?

Also: that house is GUARANTEED to be Kingdom of the Centipedes. *shudder*

And finally: kitchen designers really need to think about where the trash is going to go. Why didn't the photographer stash the cans out of the frame?

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:02 pm

Ducatista wrote:kitchen designers really need to think about where the trash is going to go. Why didn't the photographer stash the cans out of the frame?

Seems to me they should've thought about where the cooking exhaust is going to go. As it is, it's going up to the ceiling fan and through the transom toward the bathroom.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:31 pm

I wondered about the trash cans too. Don't most people put them under the sink, or is that hopelessly 1950s? At least they could have moved them for the photo, even if in daily life they like them out where they can get a clean shot from across the room.

The south facing hillside behind that block of Dayton is great for gardening, but I too thought those people's back yard really needs work. It looks like they tried to build terraces out of broken chunks of concrete. I betcha it's served as a homeless hangout/bonfire spot with that quick exit in back to the next block.

Anything can be fixed if you're willing to put in the money and work, but carrying all that concrete uphill is going to take a while.

duca, I lived at 1245 in the way-wayback (early 70s). That was one weird house. When you explored the basement, it was clear there were at least three, maybe four separate additions over the years. We also had a waterfall in the kitchen every time the people upstairs took a shower. Like the other houses on that side of the block, it had a nice back yard. On hot nights I remember sleeping out there, which seemed completely normal 45 years ago.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:15 pm

I can see the point of removing the cans from a staged picture, since their being there has no point at all, unless it's supposed to portray a clever arrangement some potential buyer might want to emulate.

But it my kitchen, I have to have a trash/compost bin visible, open, and with a clear trajectory from food prep areas. Points are occasionally awarded for most direct or arcing paths of travel.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:16 am

snoqueen wrote:duca, I lived at 1245 in the way-wayback (early 70s).

Ha, we really have swirled around in similar orbits.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:35 am

snoqueen wrote:They should sell more stoves with just a couple burners -- now that people are losing interest in McMansions and no longer prepare sit down family dinners much at all, giant kitchens are going to have about the same resale value as swimming pools. A few will always want them, but many more will not.
I couldn't find this article (maybe in the WaPo?), but it was one that discussed an increasing trend toward cooking at home — so much so that it was causing concern in the restaurant industry.

I never had the impression that McMansion kitchens were anything but showpieces and never really reflected an urge to cook.

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:40 pm

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:03 pm

Ducatista wrote:The Knapp House on E. Gilman is for sale by the UW. Bids close on April 26 at 3pm, better hurry.

Known issues: asbestos, unpermitted updates, contamination by radon or lead or mold (the condition report is a little vague on that), and the velvet handcuffs that go along with historic designation..

I toured it long ago and remember nice spacious rooms with high ceilings. I think I could enjoy it there, downtown but off to the side in a quieter spot. But it would take deep pockets and no historic designation. I could see a modernist addition on the back with lots of glass and deck space overlooking the lake. And a garage. And a tunnel down to the lakeshore. Tunnels are so fucking cool.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:20 pm

Ducatista wrote: The yard is probably a paradise for the current owners, a favorite feature of the house. But in the pictures it looks a mess — something you'd need to address rather than a selling point. Or maybe that's just me? Does it look appealing to anybody else?

No, that's just a mess as it stands, but it's a nice size for the isthmus and with a fence I could see it being a nice, fairly private little sanctuary.

Yeah, and those trash cans. Might as well leave the full laundry basket on the bed too.

fennel wrote:But it my kitchen, I have to have a trash/compost bin visible, open, and with a clear trajectory from food prep areas. Points are occasionally awarded for most direct or arcing paths of travel.

When we bought the house before this one it was a foreclosure and sold as-is. It was obvious where the trash can had been (probably for years) by the build-up of food spray on the wall. It took some chiseling. I'm assuming (hoping really) that you give your backboard a regular cleaning.

Return to “Town Vibe”