Are you a young professional?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Are you a young professional?

Postby Huckleby » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:23 pm

Donald wrote:No, I'm a few years from retirement, but I work with "young professionals," and my daughter is in that category, though I just consider her my kid. I like talking to these folks, but not interested in going to their parties.

I'm not disparaging this particular tribe, and I wouldn't mind going to their parties. I guess I'm making fun of Madison, which has lots of bars filled with nobody over 38. And marketing to "young professionals" strikes me as a bit creepy.

Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:56 pm

Huckleby wrote:...And marketing to "young professionals" strikes me as a bit creepy.

Not me. MSO and other classical music organizations are top-heavy with older folks. It's always been a knock on these organizations, but they finally recognized they needed to do something about it. They figured out that they have been able to draw some younger professionals to one or two concerts a year, and figure others may follow, or even start taking a greater interest. It makes sense to at least try this approach.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:33 pm

Huckleby wrote:I guess I'm making fun of Madison, which has lots of bars filled with nobody over 38.

That describes every city in the western world with a population over ~20k.

Steve Vokers
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Steve Vokers » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:41 pm

I'm old and not so professional as all that.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:44 pm

ilikebeans wrote:
Huckleby wrote:I guess I'm making fun of Madison, which has lots of bars filled with nobody over 38.

That describes every city in the western world with a population over ~20k.

No. Milwaukee and Chicago, for instance, have many more age-diverse bars. Madison downtown nightlife is dominated by youngins, and not just talking college age.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:47 pm

Huckleby wrote: Madison downtown nightlife is dominated by youngins, and not just talking college age.

Has been that way for many decades.

To answer your opening question: I'm old, retired and trying to regain my amateur status.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:10 pm

Henry Vilas wrote: trying to regain my amateur status.

the root of that word "amateur" means love, like when the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's amore. I guess makes sense, amateurs do things for the love of it.

I hope you're not looking for love in the wrong places.
Last edited by Huckleby on Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:11 pm

What hasn't changed in many years is if you're more than, maybe, 32 and still think going out drinking is a form of entertainment in itself, you're a loser.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:13 pm

snoqueen wrote:What hasn't changed in many years is if you're more than, maybe, 32 and still think going out drinking is a form of entertainment in itself, you're a loser.

I think I quit drinking sometime around then, not sure if I made your cutoff.

pattymcnutt
Forum Addict

Postby pattymcnutt » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:25 pm

Huckleby wrote:
Do you consider yourself a peer of the people in this picture?
How old is young?

Why would you want to party with people of a similar age and income?

What is a professional, anyway? Is a housewife professional? Is somebody who runs a cookie cart on the mall a professional?

Well the guy on the far left is Jonathan Suttin from the Triple M morning show and I think that's his wife next to him, so apparently "morning radio dj" meets the criteria

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:32 pm

Ooh, a party where everyone stands around wearing nametags. I can't believe I missed it.

OK, sorry, more seriously Donald is quite right here:

Donald wrote:MSO and other classical music organizations are top-heavy with older folks. It's always been a knock on these organizations, but they finally recognized they needed to do something about it. They figured out that they have been able to draw some younger professionals to one or two concerts a year, and figure others may follow, or even start taking a greater interest. It makes sense to at least try this approach.

Yeah. This is a terrible, awful, no-good time to be a classical music organization like MSO. Which is too bad, because the quality of live classical music has never been higher. Like all such groups, MSO desperately needs to get the word out. If this kind of thing works for them, great.

I love MSO. If long-distance teleportation were an option, I would be back in Madison every month for their concerts.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:00 am

snoqueen wrote:What hasn't changed in many years is if you're more than, maybe, 32 and still think going out drinking is a form of entertainment in itself, you're a loser.

So having some drinks at a bar with friends makes someone a loser? That's fucking ridiculous.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:57 am

As long as we can keep drinking alone at home as a form of entertainment in and of itself, I'm okay with it.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:13 pm

I figured someone would interpret what I said that way, but couldn't come up with a better wording.

Going out for drinks with friends is not what I meant. Going out for drinks with friends is fun and does not mean you're a loser, it means you have friends and like to do stuff with them.

I was talking about just going out and getting slammed because you haven't got anything better to do, can't stand your own company, hope you'll find somebody to go home with (but you know you won't, or if you do you'll regret it) and all the other stuff people do in their 20s but, with any luck, grow out of. Way different.

Do you see what I mean? Maybe I just should have said "age appropriate bar usage" or something. I love bars, bar culture, and all the rest of what Wisconsin gives us that is missing so many other places, but what's fun when you are 25 shifts over time and if you don't make that shift, there's a price to be paid.

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:15 pm

Stebben84 wrote:

So having some drinks at a bar with friends makes someone a loser? That's fucking ridiculous.

But as you can see from the ad that started this thread, having some drinks at a bar with people wearing nametags makes you a winner.

Return to “Town Vibe”