Coach Andersen's Toyota ads

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Coach Andersen's Toyota ads

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:46 am

john_titor wrote:
john_titor wrote:I looked but still have no idea who Coach Andersen is. Doesn't help that the Badgers have a coach with that name too.

Really? You all just sat there and no one told me it IS the new Football coach? He looks like a basketball coach.

Crap, sorry. I wasn't sure if you were being serious.

Broadsheet
Forum Addict

Postby Broadsheet » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:49 pm

The ads are on all the networks nearly every night during prime time, starting with the news. Sorry I put this on a general interest area instead of sports, but I'm not a sports fan in general and I thought this had more to do with the U than the team. I'm having trouble believing that so many of my Madison compatriots don't know that Gary Andersen, of Utah, replaced Bret Bielema as UW football coach. This is sort of the lingua franca of Madison, like knowing that Wisconsin Avenue divides east from west.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:23 pm

Broadsheet wrote:I'm having trouble believing that so many of my Madison compatriots don't know that Gary Andersen, of Utah, replaced Bret Bielema as UW football coach. This is sort of the lingua franca of Madison, like knowing that Wisconsin Avenue divides east from west.
Well, I think most people know that UW has a football team, but unless you're a sports industry fan, you wouldn't necessarily be up on who holds which administrative positions.

Do all of your compatriots know who the head of the UW-Madison is? And, by the way, what happened to central Madison?

I once waited on the Michigan football coach. Though I didn't recognize his name on the credit card and couldn't possibly recall it now (except to verify that it wasn't Bo Schembechler, whose name I remember from childhood), I do remember that other waitstaff were oddly giddy.

It could've been Gary Andersen, for all I know.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:54 pm

I forgive fennel. He's a fairly recent transplant from Vermont, where snowshoeing is the state sport.

Don't know what john-titor's excuse is.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:41 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:I forgive fennel. He's a fairly recent transplant from Vermont...
What, you have a problem with dairy states? (Where cows occasionally see blue sky and don't tread only on concrete slabs? And where (many) citizens are blithely ignorant of the org charts of sports industry franchises?)

Bah! I'll find Football® interesting when UW beats the University of Chicago in the seventh game of the Super Bowl.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:27 pm

gargantua wrote:They make me cringe. If that's what they're going for, great job!

The ads are bad. Anderson should be fired anyway for not making it to the Rose Bowl.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:58 pm

Fennel, don't feel bad. I have lived here for decades and I have no idea what is going on in UW athletics. If you asked me who the coaches are etc I'd have to look it up. It's just not on my radar, as it's apparently not on yours.

I bet there are more of us out here than the average sports fan realizes.

This isn't like a Democrats-Republicans thing, it's more like a Wisconsin-Vermont thing. Different states of being, that's all.

Return to “Town Vibe”