Coneheads: "No parking in front of MY house"

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Coneheads: "No parking in front of MY house"

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:39 pm

Huckleby wrote:Urban living means putting up with other people and their shit. And strangers parking in front of your house is one such annoyance. Or block parties.

I couldn't agree more. It's a bit of a NIMBY attitude. They probably love having all those businesses around them, but don't want the consequences.

I kind of want to drive over there and park just for the hell of it.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:47 pm

Stebben84 wrote: I kind of want to drive over there and park just for the hell of it.

I recommend ringing your car with orange cones, connected by "do not cross" crime scene tape. If one of those fuckers places a note on your windshield, knock on their door, flash them your "badge" and let them know they are in some serious trouble.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:06 pm

Potential opportunity to test the applicability of WI's castle doctrine laws to occupied parked cars. The posting of a note to the windshield could surely be construed as a threat, no?

wesconsin

Postby wesconsin » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:22 pm

I think I have fallen into an awesome forum where people stick around long enough to get to know (and hate) each other! I've only ever witnessed one other forum that compared, and it was a hobby/activism forum.

And everyone here is (i'm assuming) in the Madison, if not Wisconsin area.

Glad I joined, cannot wait to figure the cast here out.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:32 pm

Welcome aboard.

After-bar tonight at Larry and Ann's place. BYO.

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:42 pm

snoqueen wrote:Welcome aboard.

After-bar tonight at Larry and Ann's place. BYO.

Gozer will have the good stuff--come to the back porch if you're interested.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:48 pm

But don't make a lot of noise, because Larry isn't getting along with his neighbors and they might call the cops.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:49 pm

wesconsin wrote:And everyone here is (i'm assuming) in the Madison, if not Wisconsin area.

Ned claims to live in the Twin Cities but apparently has a little bird who feeds him a lot of detailed day by day info about what's going on around the east side.

wesconsin

Postby wesconsin » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:53 pm

I'll be on the back porch

roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

Postby roadkill bill » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:48 pm

On the subject of people who don't want people parking on "their" street, I direct you to a great essay on parking in general, and how territorial people are about curb parking specifically: "Who Parked in My Spot?"

The author of the above article has a whole series of posts examining why our parking policies are so screwed up in this country, including how required minimum parking requirements for developments contributes to making housing less affordable.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:16 pm

roadkill bill wrote: specifically: Who Parked in My Spot?

interesting article, thanks for the link.

If I understand the author correctly, I detest his solution: more parking meters, less requirements on businesses and apartments to maintain off-street parking.

Parking meters are a regressive tax and extremely unpleasant, in my view. Sure, they are needed in very congested areas. But encouraging the spread of parking meters to bolster profit margins for commercial property owners stinks.

ps. from reading the comments at that article, it is a very complex issue that I have to think more about before deciding.

WestSideYuppie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby WestSideYuppie » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:47 pm

Huckleby wrote:ps. from reading the comments at that article, it is a very complex issue that I have to think more about before deciding.

That's a wise choice. A lawyer once told me that land use is one of the oldest and most complex branches of law. I'd be surprised if there is a simplistic solution.

___

Postby ___ » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:55 pm

Would be very satisfying to catch one of these idiots leaving a note on my car. Just dying to know what sort of idiotic things would come out of its mouth as I crumpled up the note and threw it on the lawn.

ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:35 pm

Relevant: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parking_chair

No parking should be "free", ever. All parking arrangements should be handled either as private property or as rental/lease agreements on a short-term basis. Meters are a fine way to administrate short-term parking, and new credit-card based technologies will make it even easier.

I would argue that all currently "free" parking spaces owned by the city/state should be put up for auction, with an exclusive first option to buy going to the owner of the nearest adjacent property (I'm guessing $3-5k initial price for urban spots, less for suburban). Installment plans could be made available to those owners who cannot afford the upfront cost. Public parking arrangements could be made by placing normal city meters at the same spots, on a revenue sharing arrangement between the city and the owner of the spot. The city would manage the coin collection (or credit card system), plowing, and towing services for a cut of the revenue, while the owner of the spot could generate some income if/when they were not using the spot themselves. The city's end of the service could easily be privatized or liberalized entirely, but that is inessential to the function of the system I am proposing. Spot owners could set the terms for the fees/times/availability of the spot, within some basic guidelines (e.g. no sudden fee/schedule changes, no capricious towing without warning, etc.)

And if anyone wants to help make it economically feasible to build mass-transport options between nearby cities like Madison-Milwaukee, one of the first things you should advocate is the end of "free" parking.

wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:55 pm

Are you trying to completely destroy commerce? I don't know about others, but I simply do not go where I cannot park. I do not spend money where I cannot go. I won't pay to park when I can park for free somewhere else. If I can't park I effectively drop out of the local economy.

I don't know if this is common, but I'm certainly not the only one.

Return to “Town Vibe”