Coneheads: "No parking in front of MY house"

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Coneheads: "No parking in front of MY house"

Postby ArturoBandini » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:04 pm

Huckleby - you've taken a subjective survey of about 0.02% of Madison streets based on personal experience (which you don't remember accurately anyway) - this does not constitute sufficient evidence to support your idea of how parking should work, or even how it works in practice now.

Is street parking easier and better in Evanston, Illinois? There may be a larger density of cars, but that alone does not a better system make.

I apologize, Huck, for the acerbic tone I've taken in this thread. While I still believe your ideas about how parking works are completely backwards, I don't mean to convey any ill will on a personal level. I just get a little overexcited about scoring meaningless internet points sometimes.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:06 pm

ArturoBandini wrote:Huckleby - you've taken a subjective survey of about 0.02% of Madison streets based on personal experience (which you don't remember accurately anyway) - this does not constitute sufficient evidence to support your idea of how parking should work, or even how it works in practice now.

Lame. Anybody with extensive experience parking in Madison can offer a meaningful opinion. I never presumed to offer a complete parking plan for the city. I merely stated my priorities. You arrogantly and implausibly claim that your vision is the only way that can work.

Nobody needs a formal survey to see that Madison blocks-off a lot more parking spaces than some other cities - look at all the yellow paint and "no parking" signs. I've seen other places, in particular communities in greater chicago, where side streets are much more packed with parked cars, it can be done.

Ninja
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ninja » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:11 pm

I wouldn't be suprised at all to learn that the city has been negligent in reviewing and updating the treatment of the nearly 700 locations specified in the code as no parking under 12.132. In fact, I'd be amazed if dozens of those situations haven't changed over the years since parking was first prohibited.

This city likes fun stuff, not those difficult duties or boring, complicated details.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:52 pm

ArturoBandini wrote:
Stebben84 wrote:And here is a huge flaw in the pay for parking scam. There is one spot in front of my house and my neighbor parks in front of it because there is no space in front of their house. There is a bus stop that takes away the corner house and my neighbor's spot. The corner house would get first dibs on the cross street parking, I would get dibs on my spot, so what does my neighbor do? They get screwed.
Do you really see this as "a huge flaw"? Can you not imagine any way that it might be resolved to the agreement of all parties involved?

Sometimes, but not always. I see it as another means to conflict among neighbors.

Honestly, I don't think we really have that big of a parking problem in this town. I think we have a lazy problem where people are not willing to park a few blocks away and walk it. Seems to me, there are bigger issues to deal with in this town than parking.

Return to “Town Vibe”