Sandyhook community buys back First Person Shooters

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
nofpssinwisconsin

Re: Sandyhook community buys back First Person Shooters

Postby nofpssinwisconsin » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:36 pm

timby wrote:OK, there's a lot of obfuscation and flat-out inaccurate information being spouted here, so let's clarify a few things.

Raven Software hasn't released a full game since 2010. The company underwent significant and major layoffs in 2009 following a number of under-performing releases, and after a nasty spat with its publisher, Activision, it had another round of layoffs a year or so later. The company is a shell of its former self, and its involvement with the Call of Duty series has been limited to helping out with UX design and building maps for multiplayer. The Call of Duty games are actually made by two other studios named Infinity Ward and Treyarch, which trade off development on each title in the series (Infinity Ward builds one, then Treyarch builds the next, and so on).

As for Human Head, holy moly -- they've released one game in the past seven years, the aforementioned Fort Courage, which is a goofy little Android phone game about fighting evil aliens on Mars.

So neither studio is in any way some sort of murder simulator mass-production factory, which you are actively proclaiming.

Your post is well written. Thank you. I will address some other parts of your post in the future but for now..

Raven and Human Head based on Linkedin have around 250 employee's combined. In metro Madison there are about 250,000 people. Therefore an equivalent company in Chicago would be around 6,000 employees. In Los Angeles, about 12,000. In relative size they are not small. In fact that is the point. We are a small community and small state. We have not said that they should not operate. We just don't want them here. We don't want to be known as First Person Shooter Street. We just want them to move to LA or NY where they can hide where may other dregs of society can hide.

Raven has at least 150 employees. That means at least $15-$20 million in annual revenues. And they are working on Call of Duty. Many of their employees boast about it in their linkedin profiles. The company has also publicized their involvement in professional publications. And yes, they work on just a part of the final product. So does that mean that the person who prepares only part of the final product such as heroin or crack cocaine is not responsible for their contribution to the end product.

HumanHead has been involved with at least two other FPSS releases this year. Look in the history portion of Wiki, you can find it if you dig, but they have removed the info. They have also removed mention of these products from their website. I would think that if I had a company with two successful FPSS products this year, that I would publicize it on my Wiki and website. Could it be that Human Head is trying to hide what they do? They are advertising that they are hiring at all levels. So business must be good. And 75 people means at least $10 million a year in revenues. So who's paying. What are they producing? Why are they hiding what they are making?

Basically, these two companies have morphed into specialty companies with one product - First Person Shooter Simulations. And we don't want them here.

It's an addictive, destructive product that hurts people. It's a product that wouldn't be tolerated for production in Connecticut or Colorado or the entire country of Norway. Why the heck would we want them here. And we believe it is a factor in mental illness. The data is showing it. Common sense is overwhelming. And even the police are using use levels as a gauge in determining mental state of perpetrators.

http://www.theage.com.au/world/chris-la ... 2snhq.html

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:20 pm

nofpssinwisconsin wrote:We just want them to move to LA or NY where they can hide where may other dregs of society can hide.

So you could give a shit that they make the games. You just don't want them here. You know what Nimby is right?

The reason people don't "like" you on Facebook is because your cause is moronic. You talk about the harm these games cause, but you're really not trying to stop them. You just want them to move to a big city where apparently the dregs live.

You folks are one giant fail.

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:38 pm

nofpssinwisconsin wrote:Raven and Human Head based on Linkedin have around 250 employee's combined. In metro Madison there are about 250,000 people. Therefore an equivalent company in Chicago would be around 6,000 employees. In Los Angeles, about 12,000. In relative size they are not small. In fact that is the point. We are a small community and small state. We have not said that they should not operate. We just don't want them here. We don't want to be known as First Person Shooter Street. We just want them to move to LA or NY where they can hide where may other dregs of society can hide.

Oh good, it's the royal we again.

For fucksake, why do you think a company's size has anything to do with their location or the location of a company has anything to do with it's size? or that the size of a small company would have that much of an effect on a community as large as Madison.

Also, can you explain how a company moving would have any effect on how their software effects the community and world? You do realize people could still buy these games in Madison? If the games very existence so offends you, why would you be such a pansy ass about fighting them and just decide you can pretend they don't exist if they are out of sight.

BTW it's nice to see you whipping out the bigotry again when trying to send two successful businesses off to live with "The dregs of society". Can you please identify what you see as the dregs of society?

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:42 pm

Stebben84 wrote:You folks are one giant fail.

I can't decide if I'm more amazed by how insane nofpssinwisconsin appears to be or by how clueless "they" seem to be about just how very insane they appear to others. How can anyone think the approach nofpssinwisconsin has taken would be effective at convincing anyone of anything?

wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:47 pm

nofpssinwisconsin wrote:We just don't want them here. We don't want to be known as First Person Shooter Street. We just want them to move to LA or NY where they can hide where may other dregs of society can hide.

Well we want them here, and my we is much bigger than yours. Guaranteed.

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:10 pm

wack wack wrote:
nofpssinwisconsin wrote:We just don't want them here. We don't want to be known as First Person Shooter Street. We just want them to move to LA or NY where they can hide where may other dregs of society can hide.

Well we want them here, and my we is much bigger than yours. Guaranteed.

I swear every arguement about video games comes down to who has a bigger we in the end.

wesconsin

Postby wesconsin » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:00 pm

Not sure if troll?

Im debating between troll, NRA hack, or some other economic interest in moving these companies out of state...

How about some numbers, why don't you post some numbers of how many people have died specifically as a result of violent video games?

At least cigarettes may have some socially redeeming qualities such as increasing productivity. Andpeople don't kill children after smoking too much.

You seriously tried to say ciggarettes have more value to society than video games?
Ok, then we can give some justification to video games then, right?

Violent Video Games, Blamed For Promoting Violence, May Benefit Brain
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/1 ... 74438.html

Ever thought that maybe it isn't video games creating violence, but instead its video games reflecting society? We had mass murders and violent crimes before electronics, yes?

Oh, and i'm assuming you don't want to say anything about actual murder weapons and guns.... the things that actually kill people.
Last edited by wesconsin on Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:19 pm

nofpssinwisconsin wrote:At least cigarettes may have some socially redeeming qualities such as increasing productivity.

Oh god, is Carol back?

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:19 pm

ilikebeans wrote:
nofpssinwisconsin wrote:At least cigarettes may have some socially redeeming qualities such as increasing productivity.

Oh god, is Carol back?

I don't know why you're dragging God into this.

Unless Carol is one of His plagues sent to smite the unrighteous. What with Him being all wrathful and shit, I wouldn't put it past Him.

Fucking God - what an asshole.

Return to “Town Vibe”