Red bikes

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Red bikes

Postby penquin » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:47 pm

People attending conventions downtown seem to use those rental bikes a lot...especially if the convention ain't serving them a meal.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:54 pm

I tend to see a lot of people in suits or dressed up using them. I suspect people from the capital use them to ride down State St.

I think in general they are used a lot by people who work downtown and live far enough away that they drive in. Using the bike for errands or getting lunch is probably pretty damn handy.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:58 pm

Huckleby wrote:Has anybody in this forum used one of those B-Cycles?

I signed up when they first came out. Used them for a while till I realized it was more efficient to ride my own bike.
Huckleby wrote:I really don't get them. If they are popular, who is using them?

If appearances mean anything, it's students, tourists, and people whose jobs take them around town. For students, now that they've got stations all over campus it appears way better than locking and unlocking your bike and finding a place to put it. Slide a card to get one and then slam it into the stanchion when you get there. Between classes those stations will empty out and fill up when class starts.

For tourists it's easy access to a bike and (I think) who cares if you run over.

I don't like the handlebar configuration and the basket, but I have found them convenient when I wanted to get to a meeting on the other side of campus.

I'm on the near east side and there's one station nearby, another at Tenney Park, and another one around here someplace. To me and my neighbors they're a prominent fixture.

I understand that some people don't bike enough or get close enough to downtown to know they exist.

I'm amused that there are people who call themselves knowledgeable about downtown goings on but don't know what a Bcycle is.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:01 pm

I bet few, if any, b cycle customers wear a helmet.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:07 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:I bet few, if any, b cycle customers wear a helmet.

I see a few. Probably the ones who know they'll be riding one that day. The website has a page to show members who have put in the most miles so I know some of those folks use those bikes a lot. Were that the case I would have a helmet with me.

But a lot of their business is impulse and I don't know anyone who carries a helmet around just in case a bicycle happens.

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:12 pm

Huckleby wrote:You have to return them to a portal every 30 minutes or pay $5 per half hour.

Yeah that's not how they work.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:01 pm

One way they come in handy for regular bike commuters is when it's raining in the morning. You can take the bus to work. In the afternoon, if it isn't raining any more, you can take a Bcycle home, returning it to the Bcycle stand nearest your house, and walk the last couple blocks.

I think the Bcycle program is great for tourists, but some tourists have very little common sense. Just this past weekend I was on E Wash (in my car) and here are these two Bcyclists, weaving in and out of E Wash traffic and using all three lanes doing it, talking and yelling back and forth, gesturing, looking like they're at a beach. No helmets, no nothin'. Finally they meandered to one side and disappeared down a cross street. It was like when baby ducks are crossing Monroe Street and some cars are trying to avoid them while others have no idea what's going on. I was fairly horrified but couldn't come up with a way to block for them because they kept switching lanes.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:20 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:
Huckleby wrote:You have to return them to a portal every 30 minutes or pay $5 per half hour.

Yeah, then why don't you clarify.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:25 pm

dave esmond wrote: Like all "City Bike" programs they're meant for people traveling short distances. Maybe to a meeting. Something that's too far to walk but can easily be made on a bike. They're not really aimed at tourists from my understanding.

That's kinda what I pictured. I'm kinda surprised there is a lot of demand in a small place like Madison, but OK.

dave esmond wrote:Madison is hardly the first or only city with them. The idea works.

It really seems to be Trek's business, and the cities sort-of brand them as their own.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:27 pm

Huckleby wrote:
dave esmond wrote: Like all "City Bike" programs they're meant for people traveling short distances. Maybe to a meeting. Something that's too far to walk but can easily be made on a bike. They're not really aimed at tourists from my understanding.

That's kinda what I pictured. I'm kinda surprised there is a lot of demand in a small place like Madison, but OK.

I am also surprised. While I agree they aren't specifically aimed at tourists, the bike paths are full of them all over campus during the family SOAR sessions and moving days.

Ninja
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ninja » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:07 pm

Stebben84 wrote:I tend to see a lot of people in suits or dressed up using them. I suspect people from the capital use them to ride down State St.

I think in general they are used a lot by people who work downtown and live far enough away that they drive in. Using the bike for errands or getting lunch is probably pretty damn handy.

I've never seen that, but there were a ton of them on the Square late last week for the Trek corporate meeting at the convention center. I'd never really noticed anyone using them then all of a sudden they were everywhere, all day for two or three days.

Anyone know what the rules for locking them up are? I saw a ton of them just leaning up against racks and trees last week with no effort made to secure them. That seems unwise.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:13 pm

Ninja wrote:Anyone know what the rules for locking them up are? I saw a ton of them just leaning up against racks and trees last week with no effort made to secure them. That seems unwise.

The bikes aren't good for resale so the only reason to steal it would be if you're tired of walking. Which is still a good reason.

I assume that must have been Trek employees who were doing that since the bike is checked out to your credit card otherwise.

Ninja
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ninja » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:31 pm

rabble wrote:
Ninja wrote:Anyone know what the rules for locking them up are? I saw a ton of them just leaning up against racks and trees last week with no effort made to secure them. That seems unwise.

The bikes aren't good for resale so the only reason to steal it would be if you're tired of walking. Which is still a good reason.

I assume that must have been Trek employees who were doing that since the bike is checked out to your credit card otherwise.

All I could think when I was looking at a pile of them was how some poor soul might view them as a gold mine of scrap metal (and yes, I know they're neither metal nor scrappable, but I'm not a hype).

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:06 am

Huckleby wrote:

Yeah, then why don't you clarify.

My name isn't Siri so look it up yourself, lazy ass. The prices are also printed on every station.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:20 am

My name isn't Siri so look it up yourself, lazy ass. The prices are also printed on every station.

Aren't you just a ray of sunshine.

I reported what it said on their website. If that was misleading, then you could have just corrected it instead of being a dickhead. But I guess a fish has got to swim, a bird has got to fly.

Return to “Town Vibe”